Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Where is it?

slaytonf

In his closing comments about it, Ben Mankiewicz made reference to a standard aspect version of Seven Brides For Seven Brothers (1954).  Never heard about that before.  I wonder if it still exists?  I've only seen the wide-screen version.  I think it would be fascinating to watch it and see how Stanley Donen, and Michael Kidd made accommodations for it.

As far as I know the movie was filmed in cinemascope, so any "standard aspect" would possibly be compressed to where the cast would look as if they all stepped out of an EL GRECO painting.

I wouldn't even bother trying to find it.

Sepiatone

The standard version does exist, but director Stanley Donen was forced to re-film several scenes to accommodate a smaller screen.

For instance, it was obvious that the avalanche sequence could not be filmed in standard format, so Donen had the crew toss snowballs at Howard Keel to simulate the effect.

The barn-raising sequence lost its luster, because all that could be seen was Keel nailing a few boards.

Even the songs were affected. Instead of Keel droning on with "Bless Your Beautiful Hide," he simply said "Hey, nice buns," to Jane Powell.

The overall result was a disastrous film which had to be retitled "One Bride For One Brother."

• Like 3

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings