Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Crimes of Fashion

There have been many times when I've watched a film and thought, "What the heck is he/she wearing?"  I'm sure that many of you have done the same.  I know that many of the questionable outfits were considered chic back in the day, but times and tastes have changed!  I thought that it would be fun to have a thread dedicated to all the "crimes of fashion" in films.  I would prefer that we stick to older films, but feel free to post pictures from more recent films. 

Greta Garbo's hat from NINOTCHKA

llDC4Sh.png

Barbara Stanwyck's outfit from STELLA DALLAS

IIVeH4j.png?1

Barbara Stanwyck's character was supposed to have a bad taste in clothes, so this one is perfect for this thread. 

:)

• Like 2

There is 1 particular "crime of fashion" I remember distinctly, but it's not from a movie.  Remember when Johnny Carson retired from "The Tonight Show" in May 1992?  Bette Midler was on singing a song to Johnny wearing what looked like a black pantsuit with yellow tennis balls in the middle flying around.  Really awful.   

Somebody's GOT to include some pics of JOAN CRAWFORD'S shoulder pads.

SCTV once did a parody of HUMORESQUE in which CATHERINE O'HARA, playing Joan, wore a dress with what were obviously a pair of FOOTBALL shoulder pads underneath.  :D

I remember as a kid my Mom poking fun of them when one of Joan's old movies were on TV.  She said, "Max Baer would have killed  to have shoulders like that!"   ;)

Sepiatone

There have been many times when I've watched a film and thought, "What the heck is he/she wearing?"  I'm sure that many of you have done the same.  I know that many of the questionable outfits were considered chic back in the day, but times and tastes have changed!  I thought that it would be fun to have a thread dedicated to all the "crimes of fashion" in films.  I would prefer that we stick to older films, but feel free to post pictures from more recent films. 

Greta Garbo's hat from NINOTCHKA

llDC4Sh.png

Barbara Stanwyck's outfit from STELLA DALLAS

IIVeH4j.png?1

Barbara Stanwyck's character was supposed to have a bad taste in clothes, so this one is perfect for this thread. 

:)

Mr. Blackwell lives!

• Like 1

There is 1 particular "crime of fashion" I remember distinctly, but it's not from a movie.  Remember when Johnny Carson retired from "The Tonight Show" in May 1992?  Bette Midler was on singing a song to Johnny wearing what looked like a black pantsuit with yellow tennis balls in the middle flying around.  Really awful.   

I found a picture of Bette in that outfit. 

OsKqlr9.jpg?1

Definitely a "fashion don't". 

• Like 1

Somebody's GOT to include some pics of JOAN CRAWFORD'S shoulder pads.

SCTV once did a parody of HUMORESQUE in which CATHERINE O'HARA, playing Joan, wore a dress with what were obviously a pair of FOOTBALL shoulder pads underneath.  :D

I remember as a kid my Mom poking fun of them when one of Joan's old movies were on TV.  She said, "Max Baer would have killed  to have shoulders like that!"   ;)

Sepiatone

Ask and you shall receive, Sepiatone. 

ewh6izq.jpg?1

JFJsSSC.jpg?1

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find any pictures of the Humoresque parody from SCTV. 

Here's Irene Dunne in MY FAVORITE WIFE.  I never understood why women liked those dresses with the oversized bows.  They looked so silly.

alEwuGo.jpg?2

Cary, you need to choose another outfit.  That dress and hat don't suit you at all.

U0UwnZi.png?1

..and SOME LIKE IT HOT is on tonight (yawn). I believe that Lemmon and Curtis were dressed by Givenchy.

Thanks for the Roz pictures Laurel!  When I saw this thread I immediately thought of the "seeing eye" outfit.  

Yea, one has to SEE that seeing eye outfit to get an idea of it (i.e. it can't just be described).

While Roz is great in The Women (with His Girl Friday made shortly after being two of the best female comedic performances in film history IOM),    those outfits are over the top.    I assume the 'message' Cukor was trying to convey was how rich idle gals like Silvia would have the need to make a statement (even if it is way too loud).

Okay! While I'll readily admit Sophia's choice in swimming attire here in the movie BOY ON A DOLPHIN is very probably a major fashion faux pas...

Sophia+Loren+Boy+on+a+Dolphin+2.jpg

...call me whatever the hell the opposite of a fashionista is, but frankly, I DON'T CARE!

(...'cause I LIKE IT!!!)

;)

• Like 2

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find any pictures of the Humoresque parody from SCTV. 

Thanks for those Laurel.  Here's a link to the parody on YouTube.  O'hara's appearance as Joan comes in at about the 8 minute mark.

Eugene Fodor is an excellent serious concert violinist too.

Sepiatone

• Like 1