Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Crimes of Fashion

Okay! While I'll readily admit Sophia's choice in swimming attire here in the movie BOY ON A DOLPHIN is very probably a major fashion faux pas...

Sophia+Loren+Boy+on+a+Dolphin+2.jpg

...call me whatever the hell the opposite of a fashionista is, but frankly, I DON'T CARE!

(...'cause I LIKE IT!!!)

;)

..and this was her first exposure to American audiences. Getting back to our previous discussion about smoking, I don't care if she smoked 5 packs a day. The more, the better.

• Like 1

Eugene Fodor is an excellent serious concert violinist too.

Sepiatone

CORRECTION:

Eugene Fodor WAS an excellent concert violinist.  I momentarily forgot he died six years ago.

BIG loss to that music arena.

Sepiatone

Katherine Hepburn's outlandish outfit from Christopher Strong comes to mind as a crime of fashion.

Her headpiece is especially bizarre.

Thanks for the picture, midnight08.  I decided to post a larger version of the picture so that everyone can get a good look at that getup. 

L2szFgH.jpg?1

Speaking of Katharine Hepburn, I just thought of another one of her outfits that I didn't really care for.  It's not nearly as bizarre as the one from CHRISTOPHER STRONG, but I think that it still belongs on this thread. 

Katharine's outfit from THE PHILADELPHIA STORY

uUpbtIv.jpg?1

• Like 2

Thanks for the Roz pictures Laurel!  When I saw this thread I immediately thought of the "seeing eye" outfit.  

You're welcome, RoyCronin.  That "seeing eye" outfit was weird, wasn't it?  It would have been bad enough if there was only one eye, but there were THREE.

:blink:

Yea, one has to SEE that seeing eye outfit to get an idea of it (i.e. it can't just be described).

While Roz is great in The Women (with His Girl Friday made shortly after being two of the best female comedic performances in film history IOM),    those outfits are over the top.    I assume the 'message' Cukor was trying to convey was how rich idle gals like Silvia would have the need to make a statement (even if it is way too loud).

That's an interesting theory about why Rosalind's character was dressed that way.  I never thought about that.  I know that Rosalind was initially uncomfortable having to play such an over-the-top character.  I've often wondered if they dressed her in over-the-top outfits to help her to "get into character", so to speak. 

Sepiatone - Thanks for the Youtube video.  That was really funny.  The real Joan Crawford probably would have been jealous seeing another woman with such large shoulder pads. 

Dargo -  Your appreciation of Sophia Loren's soaking wet dress doesn't mean that you have a bad taste in fashion, but it does seem to indicate that you are a straight male. 

:lol:

• Like 2

Thanks for the picture, midnight08.  I decided to post a larger version of the picture so that everyone can get a good look at that getup. 

L2szFgH.jpg?1

Speaking of Katharine Hepburn, I just thought of another one of her outfits that I didn't really care for.  It's not nearly as bizarre as the one from CHRISTOPHER STRONG, but I think that it still belongs on this thread. 

Katharine's outfit from THE PHILADELPHIA STORY

uUpbtIv.jpg?1

Thank you "Laurel Gray". I never posted a pic before and I really don't know why the one I posted turned out so small. It was only a thumbnail.

Thanks for reposting it.

0aolga.png

I bet that baron feels embarrassed to be seen with her. Olga Mara from Singin' in the Rain.

And which now conjures up another segment in that classic musical in which fashion takes center stage, JSFan...the funny spoof of some of the more outlandish women fashions of the 1920's, and done as a send-up of Zeigfeld Girls and Busby Berkeley style choreography.

I'm of course talking about the following "Beautiful Girl" number here...

JamesStewartFan95 and Dargo, thanks for those examples from SINGIN' IN THE RAIN. 

Dargo, there were quite a few outlandish outfits in that video, but these were the two that stood out.

bcuhy3C.png?2

PwdOiKM.jpg?1

It's hard to believe that women actually wanted to dress like that.

I just thought about a few more outfits from SINGIN' IN THE RAIN. 

8HEZM9h.jpg

JjwcPxr.jpg?3

:wacko:

DAMN, I wish I could find and post photos.

But I can suggest that just about ANY dress worn by the girls in MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS  seems criminal.

Also the hats created by ANATOLE OF PARIS in THAT segment of Danny Kayes "The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty".

Sepiatone

DAMN, I wish I could find and post photos.

But I can suggest that just about ANY dress worn by the girls in MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS  seems criminal.

Also the hats created by ANATOLE OF PARIS in THAT segment of Danny Kayes "The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty".

Sepiatone

Great suggestions, Sepiatone.  If you can't post photos, that's OK.  As long as we have a description of the outfit and the movie it's from, one of us can find it.  Since I'm online now, I'll find some pictures from the movies that you mentioned.

I liked the "Under the Bamboo Tree" number, but I did NOT like the little number that Judy Garland was wearing.

7CPJaj0.jpg?1

Judy wasn't the only one to make a fashion faux pas at that party.

vJrVsfy.jpg?2

I'm not wild about these outfits, either.

0by3t4z.jpg

Sepiatone, it's a good thing that you posted the video of the "Anatole of Paris" number, because it's hard to find pictures of those crazy hats.  I was able to find these two.

"Is that a hat or a two-room flat?"

usqqoVw.jpg?1

pkDBihk.jpg

I was a wedding photographer for ten years Lorna,and believe me....

I've seen FAR worse dresses than tHAT one.  And not just on bridesmaids.  Many of the GUESTS made my face ache just from holding back the laughter.

And, THANKS Laurel.  :)

Sepiatone

love your avatar and user name, Miss Gray.

Thank you, Miss Forbes.  I like yours, too.  THE DAMNED DON'T CRY is a great film. 

:)

The dress in that photo is dreadful.  I can't say that it beats out the swan dress, though. 

:lol:

Thanks for bringing up the subject of Oscar dresses.  I'll go look for some of the best....I mean, the worst fashions. 

LornaHansonForbes, I'm not sure which Gwyneth Paltrow dress you were referring to.  Was it that black dress with the sheer top? 

Here's that infamous swan dress that you mentioned.  I wanted to post a picture of it in case anyone was unfamiliar with it.  Bjork wore the original and Ellen DeGeneres wore a knock-off as a joke. 

Who wore it best?

k4j37jH.jpg?1

Demi Moore in that thing  (I refuse to call it a dress.)

PWYHWHK.jpg?2

Whoopi Goldberg, what were you thinking??

TbeNb5P.jpg?2

I guess Faye Dunaway wanted an updated twist on the "Morticia" look.  (Bad idea, Faye.)

RdjPBh0.jpg?1

Cher is doing what she does best....wearing an over-the-top oufit.

e2Kra9H.jpg?1

Sally Kirkland, you're joking, right?

cnfFvOY.jpg?1

I'll post a few more later on. 

• Like 1

LornaHansonForbes, I'm not sure which Gwyneth Paltrow dress you were referring to.  Was it that black dress with the sheer top? 

Here's that infamous swan dress that you mentioned.  I wanted to post a picture of it in case anyone was unfamiliar with it.  Bjork wore the original and Ellen DeGeneres wore a knock-off as a joke. 

Who wore it best?

k4j37jH.jpg?1

Demi Moore in that thing  (I refuse to call it a dress.)

PWYHWHK.jpg?1

Whoopi Goldberg, what were you thinking??

TbeNb5P.jpg?2

I guess Faye Dunaway wanted an updated twist on the "Morticia" look.  (Bad idea, Faye.)

2DbVM36.jpg?1

Cher is doing what she does best....wearing an over-the-top oufit.

e2Kra9H.jpg?1

Sarah Kirkland, you're joking, right?

cnfFvOY.jpg?1

I'll post a few more later on. 

We've recently been discussing Steely Dan on another thread. It was said that Donald Fagan dressed as if he was stepping outside to get the morning paper.

We've recently been discussing Steely Dan on another thread. It was said that Donald Fagan dressed as if he was stepping outside to get the morning paper.

Sadly, that can probably be said for many others, especially these days.  Some people just don't give a rip how they look.   I have to admit that I kind of admire that trait in people....sometimes.

You quoted my post before I edited it.  I made a correction to Miss Kirkland's name.  It's Sally, not Sarah.  I also chose a different picture of Faye Dunaway. 

and in honor of tonight's Oscarcast,

Forget the swan.

Forget Gwyneth's Goth Orangutang ****.

THIS- for the Record- is THE UGLIEST OSCAR DRESS OF ALL TIME.

gwyneth_paltrow_2002_03_25.jpg

This dress does some very unfortunate things to Gwyneth's chest.  A bra might ruin the look (whatever look it was that the designer was going for anyway), but the designer could have at least built in some sort of support in the top of the dress.  Maybe if Gwyneth had better posture, that would help as well.

Even the dress she wore when she won her Oscar is ugly.

Gwyneth-Paltrow_1999_Oscars.jpg

I hate the color, but I'm not a big Barbie pink fan anyway.  The dress is too big for Gwyneth--its only emphasizing the fact that she has nothing up top to hold her dress up.  It just doesn't work.

• Like 3