Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Crimes of Fashion

I kind of like some of the outfits that are on here.  I love most of the outfits in Meet Me in St. Louis.  I'll agree that Esther's dress with the tassels that she wears at the "Skip to My Lou" party (do those kids know how to party or what?) is ugly.  However, I really liked Rose's tan and brown dress she wears in the beginning of the film.  I thought it was cool. I also liked Esther's blue striped tennis outfit in the same scene with Rose's dress.  It even had a matching hat which looked like one of those old timey nightcaps.  I thought it was funny. 

In the big dance scene toward the end of the film, I loved both Esther and Rose's gowns.  I'm not as crazy about Lucille Ballard's outfit, I dislike the color and the red choker.  I wouldn't want to wear the short little gloves that Esther and Rose wear, but I understand that the gloves were probably typical of the Victorian era. 

meet-me-in-st-louis-2.jpg

I couldn't find a picture of it, but Mary Astor's garish striped robe is so over the top ugly, but I also find it hilarious, so it is a welcome sight in the film.

I also really liked the photo of Irene Dunne where she's wearing the swirly square design.  

Copy_of_AwfulTruth3.jpg

I think the outfit is kind of cool.

One of the great things about the films from the 1930s-1950s are the women's fashions--especially the bizarre hats.  They're hats in name only as they go on the head, but otherwise do not serve any sort of functional purpose.  Most of the women's hats in this era are more hair accessories than anything else. Also the clothes, especially the 1930s clothes are so different than anything else that women wear these days and many times look like they'd be so cumbersome to wear to do anything other than roam around your gigantic Art Deco home.  However, this is one thing that makes these films so much fun. 

• Like 2

Well, Hollywood certainly gave us the ultimate twist ending last night, didn't it?  I know that this subject is being discussed on other threads, so I'll just focus on fashion right now. 

Speedracer5 - I totally agree with your comments about Gwyneth Paltrow's Oscar dresses.  Gwyneth admitted in an interview that she regretted wearing that black dress.  I don't know if she regretted wearing the pink dress, though.  That pink dress made me think of the pink tutu that Lara Flynn Boyle wore to the Golden Globes several years ago. 

Who could forget this little number? 

MRLbJ10.jpg?1

What concerned me the most was how skinny she looked.  She looked so unhealthy.  It irks me that actresses have so much pressure on them to be so thin.  That has got to stop.

And of course, no awards show fashion discussion is complete without bringing up that infamous green outfit that Jennifer Lopez (or should I say J. Lo) once wore to the Grammys. 

C5pP25r.jpg?1

Do you remember when Trey Parker and Matt Stone wore knock-offs of J. Lo's and Gwyneth's dresses?  That was so funny!

gmznylcjcwqtgm44b5jf.jpg

• Like 2

Speedracer5 - I agree that some of the dresses in MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS were nice.  I liked the dresses that the girls wore to the Christmas dance, especially Judy's.  I'll even admit that Lucille Bremer's tan outfit wasn't that bad.  The style is pretty, but I don't really like the color.  I'm not fond of clothes that are beige, taupe, light tan and other similar colors (unless they are sparkly).  I would wear beige pants, but I wouldn't wear that color in anything else.  It's just a little quirk of mine. 

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on Judy's blue-and-white striped dress and Irene's dress with the square-ish designs.  That's the thing about fashion... it's so subjective.  I've disagreed many times with the choices of "best dressed" and "worst dressed" for the various awards shows.  As they say, "Variety is the spice of life."   It would be really boring if we all thought the same way.

• Like 1

More unfortunate Oscar fashion choices from days gone by:

Geena Davis

RigIAEK.jpg?1

Zoe Saldana  (This was especially disappointing because she usually wears lovely dresses.)

j8zhPxe.jpg?1

Vera Farmiga

kV1MSZR.jpg?1

Uma Thurman

vjdYfVb.jpg?1

Tilda Swinton

yQdA2U9.jpg?1

Barbra Streisand

FK5q6iQ.jpg?1

• Like 3

Cher wore one of the most outlandish outfits to the 1986 Academy Awards cermony. It was said that

her choice in selecting her super weird costume was in protest for her not being nominated as best actress in "Mask".

I am having trouble uploading the photo. Maybe "Laurel Gray" could come to my rescue again and post this photo. Cher's wearing a headdress that looks like a huge bird and she's all in black with quite a bit of flesh showing.

Cher wore one of the most outlandish outfits to the 1986 Academy Awards cermony. It was said that

her choice in selecting her super weird costume was in protest for her not being nominated as best actress in "Mask".

I am having trouble uploading the photo. Maybe "Laurel Gray" could come to my rescue again and post this photo. Cher's wearing a headdress that looks like a huge bird and she's all in black with quite a bit of flesh showing.

Someone already posted it. Check the rest of the thread.

Laurel, you have made my day with these photos. Because Geena Davis is tall, that would make the outfit look even sillier.

Even Audrey Hepburn, the essence of chic, made a faux pas one year (later in her career) when she wore a dress that exposed her bony collarbone. A higher neckline would have made all the difference.

I WAS gonna mention Bjork's "swan dress" and then saw Laurel beat me to it.

Talk about silly.

There was also a dress that NICKI MINAJ wore at a Grammy ceremony a few years ago that almost caused her to trip on the way to the mic to say her "Thank You, Jesus" speech.  Looked like a DISNEY WORLD princess costume to me.  ;)   The weird thing was, the gals on "Fashion Police" just LOVED it!

Sepiatone

That outfit was a memorable one!  Cher is one of the few people who could pull that off.  As LawrenceA noted, I posted that picture already, but I'll post it again.

e2Kra9H.jpg?1

Laurel, you have made my day with these photos. Because Geena Davis is tall, that would make the outfit look even sillier.

Even Audrey Hepburn, the essence of chic, made a faux pas one year (later in her career) when she wore a dress that exposed her bony collarbone. A higher neckline would have made all the difference.

I'm glad that you enjoyed the photos, kingrat.

:)

I'm curious to know which Audrey Hepburn dress you were referring to.  She has worn several dresses that exposed her collarbone.  Did she wear that dress in a movie?  Do you remember what color it was?  Did the dress have sleeves or was it strapless?

I WAS gonna mention Bjork's "swan dress" and then saw Laurel beat me to it.

Talk about silly.

There was also a dress that NICKI MINAJ wore at a Grammy ceremony a few years ago that almost caused her to trip on the way to the mic to say her "Thank You, Jesus" speech.  Looked like a DISNEY WORLD princess costume to me.  ;)   The weird thing was, the gals on "Fashion Police" just LOVED it!

Sepiatone

Oh, Nicki Minaj....what a character she is!  Is this the dress that you were referring to?

nicki-minaj-grammys.jpg

It's funny that you should bring up the Fashion Police.  I can't tell you how many times I've disagreed with their choices.  That reminds me....I haven't discussed this year's Oscar fashions.  I would love to discuss the dresses that I did like, but this isn't the thread for that.  Here are my top 3 LEAST favorite 2017 Oscar dresses.  Although I don't care for these dresses, I have to admit that they're not nearly as bad as some of the ones that I've seen in previous years. 

Raphaela Neihausen

89th+Annual+Academy+Awards+Arrivals+wZmY

Sofia Boutella

oscar2017-05-314x480.jpg

Janelle Monae

17-janelle-monae-oscars-2017-red-carpet-

Janelle's dress has been on several "best dressed" lists, so I'm sure that many people will be surprised to see her on my "least favorites" list.  Maybe I should post this on the Unpopular Opinions thread. 

;)

Anyone else want to share what their least favorites are?  If you'd like to see some of the 2017 Oscar fashions, click on the link below.  The list is easy to scroll through, but unfortunately, it isn't complete. 

https://www.buzzfeed.com/whitneyjefferson/red-carpet-fashion-at-the-oscars?utm_term=.xhdn1jvJP#.naG0B5AjD

Nikki Minaj's dr

Oh, Nicki Minaj....what a character she is!  Is this the dress that you were referring to?

nicki-minaj-grammys.jpg

It's funny that you should bring up the Fashion Police.  I can't tell you how many times I've disagreed with their choices.  That reminds me....I haven't discussed this year's Oscar fashions.  I would love to discuss the dresses that I did like, but this isn't the thread for that.  Here are my top 3 LEAST favorite 2017 Oscar dresses.  Although I don't care for these dresses, I have to admit that they're not nearly as bad as some of the ones that I've seen in previous years. 

Raphaela Neihausen

89th+Annual+Academy+Awards+Arrivals+wZmY

Sofia Boutella

oscar2017-05-314x480.jpg

Janelle Monae

Janelle's dress has been on several "best dressed" lists, so I'm sure that many people will be surprised to see her on my "least favorites" list.  Maybe I should post this on the Unpopular Opinions thread. 

;)

Anyone else want to share what their least favorites are?  If you'd like to see some of the 2017 Oscar fashions, click on the link below.  The list is easy to scroll through, but unfortunately, it isn't complete. 

https://www.buzzfeed.com/whitneyjefferson/red-carpet-fashion-at-the-oscars?utm_term=.xhdn1jvJP#.naG0B5AjD

Nikki Minaj's dress hides her ****, which are her most memorable feature.

Janelle Monae

;)

Yes,  the Fashion Police last night voted this as 'best dressed'.      It wasn't my favorite but then it wasn't wore by Charlize Theron.

(because I would vote that gal as best dressed if she was wearing a potato sack!).

• Like 1

nicki-minaj-grammys.jpg

No, but it comes close!

The one I referred to was mostly green.

Sepiatone

Yes,  the Fashion Police last night voted this as 'best dressed'.      It wasn't my favorite but then it wasn't wore by Charlize Theron.

(because I would vote that gal as best dressed if she was wearing a potato sack!).

Yes, I know!  Like I said, I disagree with the Fashion Police quite often.  They'll probably come and arrest me one of these days. 

:lol:

I agree that Charlize Theron is a gorgeous woman.  Wouldn't it be something if she made burlap fashionable?

No, but it comes close!

The one I referred to was mostly green.

Sepiatone

Sorry for taking a while to respond, Sepiatone.  These last few days have been unexpectedly busy.  Anyway, is this the Nicki Minaj dress that you were talking about?  It's the only long, mostly-green dress that I could find.

AnHZl07.jpg?1

All right, now that the Oscars are over and done with, it's time to get back to films.

Mary Duncan is in this photo from MORNING GLORY, but all I see is her poofy dress.

XrePgXA.png?1

I think that Mary might be able to fly with all those feathers.

uAY5uC4.png?1

Speaking of Robin Hood ( via Frank Sinatra), I've always thought those pointy Robin Hood type hats women were so fond of in  the 30s were particularly unflattering and ridiculous -looking.

I know some have been posted here already (like Greta Garbo's crazy pointy head column in Ninotchka !) but here's another:

DorisNolan+CaryGrant+KatherineHepburn_Ho

I don't know who looks sillier...Kate looks like she's trying out a dinner plate on her head, but then, Doris Nolan appears to be going for the upside-down ice cream cone ( sans ice cream) look.

and in honor of tonight's Oscarcast,

Forget the swan.

Forget Gwyneth's Goth Orangutang ****.

THIS- for the Record- is THE UGLIEST OSCAR DRESS OF ALL TIME.

jennifer-connelly-oscars-1363300145.jpg

Who IS that?  It's driving me crazy, she looks so familiar, but I can't bring her name to mind.  I "search google for this image" ed, but all I got was "Helen Mirren". This woman is obviously not Helen Mirren.

Please tell me who she is, I don't know why I can't identify her.

Anyway agreed....It's a wretched outfit to begin with, and it's only made worse by the horrible dishwater grey colour.

Some unsolicited advice which no one's going to listen to: Ladies, if you're attending a gala event, do not wear grey, and if you're white, do not wear anything white people flesh-coloured, at least if you want people to see you.

Hey, here's an idea: colour is nice, especially deep rich colours ; also, nothing wrong with classic basic black.

Here's an example of how the flesh-coloured thing doesn't work on some people:

Emma-Stone-Oscars-2017-Red-Carpet-Fashio

Now, I love Emma Stone, and she's a lovely young woman. But her skin tone is so white, it's almost translucent. Again, nothing wrong with that in itself ( right, Julianne Moore and Nicole Kidman?)  But when you're that white, wear something that contrasts with your skin, not that works to make you disappear into your outfit. Emma would have looked so great in green, or even black.

• Like 1

Who IS that?  It's driving me crazy, she looks so familiar, but I can't bring her name to mind.  I "search google for this image" ed, but all I got was "Helen Mirren". This woman is obviously not Helen Mirren.

Please tell me who she is, I don't know why I can't identify her.

It's Jennifer Connelly, a woman I usually find beautiful, but she looked terrible that year.

jennifer-connelly-oscars-2002-w352.jpg

Yes, I know!  Like I said, I disagree with the Fashion Police quite often.  They'll probably come and arrest me one of these days. 

:lol:

I agree that Charlize Theron is a gorgeous woman.  Wouldn't it be something if she made burlap fashionable?

What does the fashion police use as a jail? A changing room at Bloomingdale's?