Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

to many musicals

joebug48

Yeah, well, I just wonder who the hell this guy thinks NOW DAYS can dance as well and as gracefully and as light on their feet as Astaire or Rogers or Kelly or the Nicholas Brothers or, well, a whole list of truly talented dancers back then?

(...so, gimme a few names here, dude...'cause I don't think there are any now days...Beyonce, ya might say?...not in her wildest dreams, dude...so gimme a name here...I'll be right here waitin'...kid)

• Like 1

Yeah, well, I just wonder who the hell this guy thinks NOW DAYS can dance as well and as gracefully and as light on their feet as Astaire or Rogers or Kelly or the Nicholas Brothers or, well, a whole list of truly talented dancers back then?

(...so, gimme a few names here, dude...'cause I don't think there are any now days...Beyonce, ya might say?...not in her wildest dreams, dude...so gimme a name here...I'll be right here waitin'...kid)

First the guy did say 40s and 50s musical;  the best Astaire\Rogers musicals were in the 30s.     

Anyhow,   I tend to agree that Oscar month often has too many musicals.    Hey, I like many of them (yea,  like Singing in the Rain,  which I know I better like to stay on your good side,  ha ha),   but a musical like 7 Brides for 7 Brothers is a film I don't need to see again.

In addition of all the genres musicals are not high on my list (tied with silly 50s Sci-Fi).    But Astaire\Rogers musicals and a few Warner ones like Footlight Parade are some of my favorite.

Well, while you're right about the best of the Astaire/Rogers musicals being made in the '30s James, first, I doubt if our newbie here, who btw REALLY needs to learn proper English spelling and punctuation (aah, but that seems to almost be the norm now days, doesn't it), would care any more for musicals made before his aforementioned distaste of those made in the "40s and 50s", and secondly, my earlier response to him was actually more directed toward his broad-stroke of a comment about the musicals made during those decades containing "the worst dancing and music of all time".

(...and which as I believe I've now made clear here, is an opinion of which I am in major disagreement)

Here are the Nicholas Brothers doing their thing. I lost count of the number of leg splits they do in this number but every time they leap in the air and land with their legs spread out to their sides I can almost feel the pain. I don't care how great their conditioning was. That's gotta hurt!

These guys were supple marvels.

• Like 6

I can recall in the late fifties, when people were saying that the musical was dead and that we would never see the Glory Days of Fred Astaire and Rogers or Gene Kelly again.

Both Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly had made their last musicals at MGM and the Freed Unit was ready to exit Culver City.

People could see all the singing and dancing for free that they wanted on television variety shows and specials.

Then Along Came hit dancing and singing musicals from Broadway like

West Side Story, My Fair Lady, Bye Bye Birdie, Oliver! and The Music Man.

They ran out of Oscars with a couple of these musicals-- and some made permanent contributions to the musical art form. Jerome Robbins' choreography in West Side Story was a landmark accomplishment in the musical genre. You can see the influence of his creative contribution in music videos, as well as subsequent musical films.

Each era or decade reinvents itself with the musical.

• Like 1

You didn't spray Raid in your face did you, joebug, before typing out your thread heading?  Perhaps you watched DUMB AND DUMBER TO recently? 

It should be 'TOO MANY MUSICALS'.   :P

Well that's a bit harsh! Maybe it's a tribute thread - Here's "to many musicals"!

PSSSSTTT!  DARG!

You need to address the guy in language he might better understand.  Try......

There dos seam to be to many musicals at times, but since its Oscar month, there tryng to find oscar winners they have in there libary.  I dont find to many musicals with music i dont like to here,  but not to many of them.  ;)

Obviously, the guy was "Fakebook" bred.   :D

Sepiatone

Musicals seem to be either an acquired taste or require a certain amount of imagination to not care that the music is coming from seemingly nowhere. Most folks I have spoken to who hate musicals have cited that very reason (my daughter being one of them.)

My first film musical experience was a double-bill; Singing In The Rain and Rosemarie. I loved Singing In The Rain, but Rosemarie had me stifling my laughter so hard , I had tears in my eyes!  

It was years before I came to appreciate musicals which didn't contain dancing.

PS- Can we still post here if we misspell or misuse a word? I hope so, because I'm not the most literate person around, but I do love discussing films. ;)

I personally am stunned a first-time-ever poster said something bad about TCM showing pre-1960 movies (a certain kind of them, anyway)! To my knowledge, that's a first in the history of these message boards, certainly in the nine years I've been on here. It's usually the opposite: three or four times a year, we get a first-time-ever poster who says "TCM showed a movie made after 1960 last night. Why, oh, why can't TCM be exactly like I remember it in the wonderful good old days? Why are they driving themselves to ruin just to make those damn punk kids happy? You're ruining my life, TCM!" and then that poster never makes a second post.

Musicals aren't really my thing either. I'm amazed every time it appears they're completely dead, another one comes along that's, you know, pretty good, and the Academy falls all over itself to shower it with Oscars, as if it was not just good but one of the greatest movies of all time. Fifteen years ago, it was Chicago, which certainly didn't produce any big movie musical revival. But now we've got La La Land, which every prognosticator in the country is saying is going to possibly win as many as 10 Oscars tomorrow night, including almost certainly Best Picture.

Still, my ego drives me to think of myself as a "student" of film history, not just a fan, so I dutifully sit through all sorts of genres and try to appreciate them for what they are or were in the context of their times. In that context, I would have to say are you nuts? Just during 31 Days, we've seen An American in ParisThe Band WagonGigiLady Be GoodSecond Chorus and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. All from the '40s or '50s. These have the worst dancing and music of all time?

Musicals aren't really my thing either. I'm amazed every time it appears they're completely dead, another one comes along that's, you know, pretty good, and the Academy falls all over itself to shower it with Oscars, as if it was not just good but one of the greatest movies of all time. Fifteen years ago, it was Chicago, which certainly didn't produce any big movie musical revival. But now we've got La La Land, which every prognosticator in the country is saying is going to possibly win as many as 10 Oscars tomorrow night, including almost certainly Best Picture.

I think it has more to do with the fact that there are so very few musicals made in this day and age that causes Oscar to proclaim them the "modern day An American In Paris." Chicago and La La Land are much better films than their 21st century predecessor  Moulin Rouge, which received lots of buzz also, and better than Phantom Of The Opera and Les Miserables, whose opera format isn't quite compatible with film. Other that that, the only other choice is to call the Disney animated films musicals. I actually really enjoyed La La Land. I thought it flowed really well, and the musical numbers came quite naturally for the most part. 10 Oscars, though? Hmm, I don't think it was that  good...

Y'know, it's quite possible to look PAST all the singing and dancing and appreciate the STORY of the musical.

I certainly didn't go much for musicals as a kid when My folks took me with them to see DAMN YANKEES when it was still making it's rounds, but I liked the movie anyway just for the story.  Same with WEST SIDE STORY at first.  But over the years and subsequent viewings over the years, and eventually developing an appreciation for them, I'm not  put off by musicals anymore.

Sepiatone

• Like 2

I personally am stunned a first-time-ever poster said something bad about TCM showing pre-1960 movies (a certain kind of them, anyway)! To my knowledge, that's a first in the history of these message boards, certainly in the nine years I've been on here. It's usually the opposite: three or four times a year, we get a first-time-ever poster who says "TCM showed a movie made after 1960 last night. Why, oh, why can't TCM be exactly like I remember it in the wonderful good old days? Why are they driving themselves to ruin just to make those damn punk kids happy? You're ruining my life, TCM!" and then that poster never makes a second post.

I'm sure the OP is breaking demonstrating a law of some sort.  Along the lines of "Godwin's Law" or "Cunningham’s Law."  Seems to happen often around here.

Musicals seem to be either an acquired taste or require a certain amount of imagination to not care that the music is coming from seemingly nowhere. Most folks I have spoken to who hate musicals have cited that very reason (my daughter being one of them.)

My first film musical experience was a double-bill; Singing In The Rain and Rosemarie. I loved Singing In The Rain, but Rosemarie had me stifling my laughter so hard , I had tears in my eyes!  

It was years before I came to appreciate musicals which didn't contain dancing.

PS- Can we still post here if we misspell or misuse a word? I hope so, because I'm not the most literate person around, but I do love discussing films. ;)

Good post.    I admit I'm surprised by the reaction the OP received.    Looks like he shouldn't have created a new thread but instead made his comment (without any mistakes),   in the 'unpopular opinions' thread.   :lol:

Good post.    I admit I'm surprised by the reaction the OP received.

Uhh.............YEAH.   :blink:

Did get a few, didn't it?

Now, me, I ALWAYS answer misspelled lower-case posts by "1 post" first-timers in the middle of the night that disorganizedly try to debate what was, like, the "Worst, ever".  

It's such a rich topic for debate, to try and offer detailed evidence and discussion to change his opinion, because it matters so much to this board!

(Oh, and folks here shoulda been around in the Usenet days, when there was no moderation of drunk/high-schooler posts, and the Sucker-Bait responses by good, naive, intelligent, adult suburban Helpy Helpertons could be off the charts.   Off the charts.  For MONTHS.

And for those who tried to convince them otherwise, like they say in Platoon, "Hell is the futility of Reason.")

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings