Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

La La Land now marks the biggest BP upset in 89 years!

spence

For hours I still didn't know what won?

see, I do my files & books 1st & foremost

& when that decable occurred sunday night-(a 1st ever) :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :wub:

That was only the first stage of the chaos & then, when "Moonlight" upset it, that was the 2nd :(

I haven't seen either.  And I'm debating whether or not if I want to when they show up in OnDemand.

I'm usually disappointed with movies that do so well at Oscar time.  Like with DANCES WITH WOLVES which I didn't see until AFTER it won so big.

Same with MAMA ROSA.

Sepiatone

I really do not think "Moonlight" beating "La La Land" is the biggest upset in Oscar history.  The very first big upset, which I have been hearing about all of my adult life, happened in 1951 when out of nowhere "An American In Paris" garnered Best Picture honors from "A Streetcar Named Desire," "A Place In the Sun," and "Quo Vadis".  "An American In Paris", like "Moonlight", was not suppose to be mention or even considered to win the "Best Picture" award.  I love a good upset which shocks the experts.

Speaking of upsets, I cannot rewrite Oscar history but I have wonder what would Oscar historians think if in 1959 "Room At the Top" had received "Best Picture" instead of "Ben-Hur" or in 1961 "The Guns of Navarone" had received "Best Picture" instead of "West Side Story" or "LA Confidential" beat out "Titantic" as the Best Picture of 1997.  You expect the obvious and instead you receive a shocking surprise.    

• Like 1

How about if GOODFELLAS beat out DANCES WITH WOLVES?  ;)

Sepiatone

TREMENDOUS IDEA SEPIATONE!  & it won virtually every single pre-*Oscar film awards for 1990, except of course the Globes & *Oscars :angry:   Something they have far too-many nowadays. Every state seemingly has it's own movie awards now?

Back then the top (3) major critics awards were considered  NYFCC, LAFCA & National Society of Film Critics-(which "GoodFellas" got 43 out of 45 votes)   & not to go into politics, something that is everywhere you turn thesedays, but the majority of these annual pre-*Oscar awards, have also gotten very, very, politically driven & "PC"

However, I just knew the entire time leading up to the biggie, they would vote for the fantastic Western instead. It has everything they love in it. Length, period pc, epic score, *Costner directed, plus the American Indians point of view for a change & much more.

1990 as I often write about was also the year of "The Gangsters"   "GoodFellas" "GFIII" "State of Grace" "Miller's Crossing"-(still my fav. of *Coen bros.)  "The Krays" "Dick Tracy"-(or Fantasy), "Men of Respect"  & even a couple more (P.S. Who else heard that *Pesci said he quit  acting, for now anyway?) & all asked what was wrong with him when he got up to the podium, his answer "I Was Loaded" unquote

I went to "GoodFellas" (3) different times myself!  A very rare thing for me, especially the older & more $expensive$ it's gotten.

Only other new releases I also did this for was> *"Titanic" "Pulp Fiction" "Courage Under Fire" (due to Meg), *"Platoon" & as a kid I went to see "Jaws" many times, along with "Towering Inferno"-(McQueen was my first hero!),

GOOD QUESTION PAL!

& that would also be a good topic, how many times have you gone to a film? :o

I haven't seen either.  And I'm debating whether or not if I want to when they show up in OnDemand.

I'm usually disappointed with movies that do so well at Oscar time.  Like with DANCES WITH WOLVES which I didn't see until AFTER it won so big.

Same with MAMA ROSA.

Sepiatone

As I've said several times, not a huge musical fan, but "La La Land" literally demands to be viewed on "The Silver Screen"

"Hacksaw Ridge" was another one

(P.S. I forgot to include the magnificent 1979 "Apocalypse Now" among flix I went to about (3) times. I know I was only 15-16 then, but they never inquired about it..

& though it's not my A #1 ever, "Apocalypse" really put the hook in me & started me wanting to learn & love more about THE MOVIES!  & I love it BIG-TIME!

Time & people have finally caught up to that epic.   Now that many, many, polls vote it a the all-time greatest war-film

"Premiere" being just one example

How about if GOODFELLAS beat out DANCES WITH WOLVES?  ;)

Sepiatone

IT SHOULD HAVE THOUGH!!!  

However, I must tread lightly, my mum's fav. movie ever is *"Dances..." & *Costner her fav. "Alive"-(*Cagney of all-time!)

(NOTE: Among my ever going files I also have "Alternate *Oscars"-(like that book by Danny Peary) & on that note, does anybody oiyut there have a (Revised) copy, or just tip me to it, please? Mine cut off with1991.

Though unlike  Ebert & Siskel's-(man I miss those guys!) annual "If We Picked the *Oscars" special, they had to vote for official nominees, where is Danny doesn't.   Same goes with my own picks.

& among my Best film choices I have "GoodFellas" for 1990. One debit on Peary's book though, for the *AMPAS very first year there were many tremendous films>"Napolean" "The Crowd" "Sunrise" "Passion of Joan of Arc" "The General" "The Circus"-(L.B. Mayer hated comics & *Chaplin in particular & wasn't going to allow very 1st Best Actor to be "The Little Tramp") :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  So they removed his name from the competition & *Emil Jannings of course became very 1st Best Actor victor instead) Ironically & for the most pt-(though a brilliant actor) was a Nazi? :angry:  :rolleyes:

THANX AGAIN

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings