Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

La La Land the biggest BP upset in 89 years!!!

spence

Obviously by now most of you know that the immensely popular semi musical epic "La La Land" lost Best Film *Academy Award to *"Moonlight"

However, given I'm not only an annual *Oscar pundit,etc  I mostly love to study it's history & such

& trust me sports fans, this was thee single largest upset in it's almost 90 years!

Many may cite *"Chariots of Fire"  (l98l)  or even *"Crash" defeating "B. Mountain" (2005)

They pale in comparison on many levels

PLEASE GIVE YOUR INPUT

& AS USUAL I THANK YOU

(P.S. most are still going on about the chaos w/*Beatty & *Dunaway, but they never mention such a massive upset this was?)

&uld some fellow TCM-ITE help out here. I correspond with 100's, but nobody has given me the answer 

I've always been able tyo handle this myself, but not yet this year

I scored 16 for 24-(about 2hrs prior to the show, I revised my Best Actor forecast to *Casey Affleck over *Denzel)

WHAT IS THE BATTING AVERAGE PLEASE

Last yr I did lousy at only (14 for 24) however, for 2014 I had my personal highnite at (20 for 24)

Obviously by now most of you know that the immensely popular semi musical epic "La La Land" lost Best Film *Academy Award to *"Moonlight"

However, given I'm not only an annual *Oscar pundit,etc  I mostly love to study it's history & such

You're not a "pundit", but you're definitely an Etc.  We've been trying to categorize your posts for years.

& trust me sports fans, this was thee single largest upset in it's almost 90 years!

Methinks thee dost forget a young Bard, whose play in-joked romance was so much MORE important than the accurately recreated D-Day invasion.

(And then, there was that delusional mathematician, who DIDN'T take the One Ring to Mount Doom...)

Many may cite *"Chariots of Fire"  (l98l)  or even *"Crash" defeating "B. Mountain" (2005)

They pale in comparison on many levels

PLEASE GIVE YOUR INPUT

& AS USUAL I THANK YOU

(P.S. most are still going on about the chaos w/*Beatty & *Dunaway, but they never mention such a massive upset this was?)

Here is my input:

Chariots of Fire and Crash were not upsets as much as they were inferior movies winning because the superior films (REDS and BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN) dealt with Communism and Homosexuality in ways that Academy members of those years were not ready to embrace.

MOONLIGHT won because it was the best film. La La Land is sweet, but that's about it.

So -- in the first two cases, inferior movies won. In this year's case, the best film won!

• Like 1

You're not a "pundit", but you're definitely an Etc.  We've been trying to categorize your posts for years.

Spence is a nice person who loves movies.

As for LA LA LAND not winning-- a friend of mine on Facebook had some good constructive criticism about the film. He said:

"It just didn't come off for me. It was a noble effort, but it missed the mark. I didn't dislike it, for the most part anyway, but Ryan Gosling's lack of vitality really knocked the life out of the piece. SPOILER ALERT: I also thought the unhappy ending, stolen pretty much from "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg," wasn't earned. In "Umbrellas" there was a reason the couple couldn't remain together. In "La La" there was no explanation for Emma not coming back to Ryan after she made the movie in Paris. I guess it was supposed to be because of some loss of interest in each other, which carried over into my loss of interest in the movie by the time it was over."

Methinks thee dost forget a young Bard, whose play in-joked romance was so much MORE important than the accurately recreated D-Day invasion.

(And then, there was that delusional mathematician, who DIDN'T take the One Ring to Mount Doom...)

To Eric, whats your problem pal?  & as I always inducate the (*) always inducates abn *Oscar winner.   & for what it matters, I've been an *Oscar handicapper since 1982 & have even won numerous titles to that effect.

Most I know do not have the same dilemmas as yourself

Just how many files & syuch have you been keeping for decades by the way

& for that goes,  where were your own predictions, or do you just sit on the sidelines

I won 2nd consecutive annual *Oscar Oracle titles for 2002 & 2003 respectively, what have you ever accomnplished?

Plus, approx (5) other titles-(have them lamenated on my own walls-of-fame)

& for the sake of a wee-bit of class, if you have a beef, contact me directly & not on these marvelous forums instead (spencer64@gmail.com)

Reckon' you are just another Walter Mitty huh

I probably own socks older then you

Spence is a nice person who loves movies.

As for LA LA LAND not winning-- a friend of mine on Facebook had some good constructive criticism about the film. He said:

"It just didn't come off for me. It was a noble effort, but it missed the mark. I didn't dislike it, for the most part anyway, but Ryan Gosling's lack of vitality really knocked the life out of the piece. SPOILER ALERT: I also thought the unhappy ending, stolen pretty much from "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg," wasn't earned. In "Umbrellas" there was a reason the couple couldn't remain together. In "La La" there was no explanation for Emma not coming back to Ryan after she made the movie in Paris. I guess it was supposed to be because of some loss of interest in each other, which carried over into my loss of interest in the movie by the time it was over."

Tome pal TopBilled, thank you for your not oinly defending me, but your ever kind words as well

(P.S. What did you think of those off-the-wall *Oscars by the way?)

Unfortunately, when I started for 1982 & throughout the '80's & '90's when a release either was up for BP & especially if it won-(unless already on video)

It opened nationwide directly, not thesedays sadly though

Most of the theaters down here not only all already pulled "Fences" but *"Moonlight" is not even listed on the horizon?

With Netflix, Red Box & the rest, guess they see no more $profit$ in it, unfortunately

But "La La Land" is still playing everywhere.

(P.S. I have a tremendous docu once aired on PBS in the mid '80's on video & when they asked him about "A Place in the Sun" his reply was "We'll Really See How Good This Picture Is In 20 Years" unquote

please feel free to send me another msg & give your always respected & valued opinion of the strangest *Academy awawrds in memory?

THANK YOU

Next to go & see "Kong: Skull Island"  though the more I see, the more cheesy it appears, sadly

I'd rather 1st be seeing the remake of the wonderful 1979 "Going in Style" instead though-(April)

Looking ahead, Christopher Nolan's "Dunkirk" just may be a heavyweight?

& though I';m not a big musical buff, "La La Land" seems poised to stand the test of time

• Like 1

To Eric, whats your problem pal?  & as I always inducate the (*) always inducates abn *Oscar winner.   & for what it matters, I've been an *Oscar handicapper since 1982 & have even won numerous titles to that effect.

Most I know do not have the same dilemmas as yourself

Just how many files & syuch have you been keeping for decades by the way

& for that goes,  where were your own predictions, or do you just sit on the sidelines

I won 2nd consecutive annual *Oscar Oracle titles for 2002 & 2003 respectively, what have you ever accomnplished?

Plus, approx (5) other titles-(have them lamenated on my own walls-of-fame)

& for the sake of a wee-bit of class, if you have a beef, contact me directly & not on these marvelous forums instead (spencer64@gmail.com)

Reckon' you are just another Walter Mitty huh

I probably own socks older then you

Eric, you simply sound frustrated

Here is my input:

Chariots of Fire and Crash were not upsets as much as they were inferior movies winning because the superior films (REDS and BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN) dealt with Communism and Homosexuality in ways that Academy members of those years were not ready to embrace.

MOONLIGHT won because it was the best film. La La Land is sweet, but that's about it.

So -- in the first two cases, inferior movies won. In this year's case, the best film won!

To Swithin, thanx for replying!   Difference being is that "La La Land" tied (2) other flix as having the most nominations in history

However, you scooped me so far in seeing *"Moonlight" I did go & see 1/2 of the BP contenders though.

Tome pal TopBilled, thank you for your not oinly defending me, but your ever kind words as well

(P.S. What did you think of those off-the-wall *Oscars by the way?)

... though I';m not a big musical buff, "La La Land" seems poised to stand the test of time

You're welcome spence. I haven't seen all the best picture nominees yet. The greater thing will be if MOONLIGHT stands the test of time, justifying its award.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings