Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"O. Henry's Full House" (1952)

Cinemascope

I'd been meaning to catch this for a while and finally got around to it. Gotta hand it to Fox video for doing a rather thorough job looking for extras for this DVD, it even includes 2 shorts from 1927 that were also adaptations of O. Henry's work.

The film of course is an anthology of five short stories set near the turn of the century, with five different directors -- Henry Hathaway, Howard Hawks, Henry King, Henry Koster and Jean Negulesco. John Steinbeck introduces each segment. The cast includes of course Marilyn Monroe although anybody renting this only to see her might be disappointed that she only has one rather brief scene.

Certainly worth checking out for anyone interested in the talent involved... or just looking for some entertaining short stories that show a diverse view of America in the first decade of the 20th century... :)

Cinemasope & Movielover11,

I love anthology films, especially If I Had a Million, Tales of Manhattan, Flesh and Fantasy, Quartet, Trio, The Story of Three Loves, We're Not Married and this O. Henry collection.

Richard Widmark's role as a slightly nutty hoodlum, early 20th century style, is a nifty sequence featuring Dale Robertson as a cop. "The Clarion Call" is quite an interesting story, and Robertson is not too tough to look at whenever he appears, *lol*.

My favorite sequences in this anthology film would have to be the Negulesco-directed story of "The Last Leaf" featuring Gregory Ratoff, beautiful Jean Peters and Ann Baxter and the Charles Laughton segment, with Mr. L. playing a character named Soapy, who literally can't get arrested. Henry Koster directed the "Cop and the Anthem" story that Laughton, and a delightful Miss Monroe, appeared in here.

While I like Fred Allen and Oscar Levant very much, I only found the sequence devoted to the classic "The Ransom of Red Chief" to be sporadically amusing.

I don't think that I'd regret buying such a dvd, if not too expensive.

> I don't think that I'd regret buying such a dvd, if

> not too expensive.

If you shop around you should be able to find it for under $15. For a movie that was looong not available on home video, and that comes with pretty good extras, I'd say that's a good price. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived