Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WWho agrees that there should still only be (5) Best Film nominees?

spence

There is a divided group on this topic  Who else out there thinks they should go back to just (5) Best Picture nominees every year?

I do myself

For several reasons, it makes things just too tedious for one example  This was the 8th consecutive the *AMPAS did this & will likely continue with the process

& I know you fellow TCM-ITES will point out-(as you should) that the *Academy already did this & for a dozen yrs back during "Hollywoods Glorious Golden Age/Studio-System"-(l925 -1960)

1944 they went back to the (5) :D

Another problem with this is simple, to me anyway

During that era they made more product  & superior as well-(though that depends on one's pt of view)

(NOTE: Just guessing, if there were just (5) for 2016 I wager they woulda' been:

*"Moonlight"  "Hidden Figures"  "Hacksaw Ridge" "La La Land" & "Manchester by the Sea" :rolleyes:  :wub:

THANK YOU

Really don't have an opinion on how many, but still believe no movie should be eligible in the calendar year in which voting takes place and it must have been released at least 12 months prior to voting.

I think a lot of movies get a lot of hype and undeserved favorable support before they can really be judged on how good they really are.  Same with actors, directors, etc.

• Like 1

Well, THEY do, actually--They were going to bring it back to five after the record-low-ratings Boyhood vs. Birdman competition two years ago.

Except, that the "runoff voting" rule that allowed eight to ten nominees in the first place was also put in place to allow one vote for an animated movie for Best Picture.  (After everyone started whining about Pixar "picking up" its annual Best Animated after Wall-E in '08.)

And ask anyone in fall '15, THE Best Picture front-runner, period, was "Inside Out", but going back to five nominees would have shut it out.

(So, why didn't it make the nomination cut anyway?  Y'see, the Golden Globes still has a strict outdated rule against animated movies for their Pictures, and nowadays, if the Globes jump off the roof, the Oscars must too.  So, when Globes-watcher headlines panicked "No Inside Out for Best Comedy/Musical??", welp, that was it...)

And why did we still have eight-to-ten nominees this year?  Like a screen door, think they just forgot why they left it open last year.  Or maybe somebody was hoping for a Zootopia Best Picture.

One of the biggest reasons the Academy voted to expand the Best Picture field was Christopher Nolan's Batman saga "The Dark Knight." It earned eight 2008 Oscar nominations -- including a posthumous Best Supporting Actor win for Heath Ledger as The Joker -- but it failed to get a Best Picture nod. It was a huge critical and box-office success, and it still ranks as No. 6 on the all-time domestic list with a take of $535 million.

I don't mind the multi-Best Picture slots, and I wish they'd have a mandatory 10 nominees every year. It would have been nice to see Martin Scorsese's "Silence" nominated this year. Or "Carol" and "Trumbo" last year.

8404f08a-3208-4d6b-94d1-189d5bfc1c06.gif

One of the biggest reasons the Academy voted to expand the Best Picture field was Christopher Nolan's Batman saga "The Dark Knight." It earned eight 2008 Oscar nominations -- including a posthumous Best Supporting Actor win for Heath Ledger as The Joker -- but it failed to get a Best Picture nod. It was a huge critical and box-office success, and it still ranks as No. 6 on the all-time domestic list with a take of $535 million.

That was the other reason for the new "open" voting in '08, in the belief that voters were somehow "prevented" from naming a good mainstream commercial movie they liked--

And not simply because they'd cut the voting by a month, and voters didn't have time to think up other nominees besides whatever had gotten the Globes and NBOR.

But today, in the wake of #OscarsSoWhite, the Academy's used to one big niche-fan whine about being "snubbed", and Dark Knight would be shrugged off as "This year's Lego Movie".

Just like Straight Out of Compton/Beasts of No Nation last year, and Deadpool this year....It's always freakin' SOMEBODY.    :angry:

• Like 1

I don't mind the multi-Best Picture slots, and I wish they'd have a mandatory 10 nominees every year. It would have been nice to see Martin Scorsese's "Silence" nominated this year. Or "Carol" and "Trumbo" last year.

8404f08a-3208-4d6b-94d1-189d5bfc1c06.gif

To Jakeem, I agree for the most pt with what you said. However, when the announced there would be 8 to 10 BP contenders for the 2009 ceremonies, the majority of people-(even the then current *AMPAS president) said it was to widen the viewership base, by including more releases. & on the note, have you seen the early & still powerful trailers for Nolan's upcoming "Dunkirk?"

Didn't think you went to many new releases, but lucky you, you went to see *Scorsese's epic "Silence"-(only 1 single little cinematography nom.)  He's already making another & at almost age 75. & on the late Heath Ledger winning for s. actor as The Joker that year, he truly **** me off-(excuse the ;language, please) yeah he was great in the role, but he had to use meds that folks such as myself, ex-wife & mother desperately need for actual PAIN to achieve his acting for the role!!! He put 1 more nail in the coffin of people that truly need these ,meds to function. My favorite Joker is still *JACK (l989) & he didn't have to do this nonsense

• Like 1

Well, THEY do, actually--They were going to bring it back to five after the record-low-ratings Boyhood vs. Birdman competition two years ago.

Except, that the "runoff voting" rule that allowed eight to ten nominees in the first place was also put in place to allow one vote for an animated movie for Best Picture.  (After everyone started whining about Pixar "picking up" its annual Best Animated after Wall-E in '08.)

And ask anyone in fall '15, THE Best Picture front-runner, period, was "Inside Out", but going back to five nominees would have shut it out.

(So, why didn't it make the nomination cut anyway?  Y'see, the Golden Globes still has a strict outdated rule against animated movies for their Pictures, and nowadays, if the Globes jump off the roof, the Oscars must too.  So, when Globes-watcher headlines panicked "No Inside Out for Best Comedy/Musical??", welp, that was it...)

And why did we still have eight-to-ten nominees this year?  Like a screen door, think they just forgot why they left it open last year.  Or maybe somebody was hoping for a Zootopia Best Picture.

Eric, I agree with you 100% on the brilliantly made & written *Disney/Pixar release "Inside/0ut" & in my own "Alt Oscars" I gave it Best film of 2015.    On the other hand "Wall-E" was tp pc & a message effort for this viewer.   In my humble opinion it's Pixar's triumphant work to date!

To Jakeem, I agree for the most pt with what you said. However, when the announced there would be 8 to 10 BP contenders for the 2009 ceremonies, the majority of people-(even the then current *AMPAS president) said it was to widen the viewership base, by including more releases. & on the note, have you seen the early & still powerful trailers for Nolan's upcoming "Dunkirk?"

Didn't think you went to many new releases, but lucky you, you went to see *Scorsese's epic "Silence"-(only 1 single little cinematography nom.)  He's already making another & at almost age 75. & on the late Heath Ledger winning for s. actor as The Joker that year, he truly **** me off-(excuse the ;language, please) yeah he was great in the role, but he had to use meds that folks such as myself, ex-wife & mother desperately need for actual PAIN to achieve his acting for the role!!! He put 1 more nail in the coffin of people that truly need these ,meds to function. My favorite Joker is still *JACK (l989) & he didn't have to do this nonsense

Jakeem-(had a couple other & to me important questions for you, but will likely msg you instead)

Stand-Up comics made fun of this & don't get me wrong I think "DK" is a great film in total (****-stars!)

But, as comics bring out, what exactly happened to his voice?

I wonder what they'll do in those years when there AREN'T that many movies that are good enough to earn a nomination?

Start maybe a "Least mediocre" category?  With a statuette showing a man sitting on a toilet?  Or bent over with his face in a bucket?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Sepiatone

This is an interesting topic. I don't think quantity should be the determining factor. But quality.

If academy voters feel only three films are worth nominating, then let it be three. If they feel there are 13 great films worth nominating, then let it be thirteen. 

Deep down, I'd prefer no film nominees for any awards, and more recognition for things in life that warrant being appreciated but I'm sure my stance will not be followed by the Academy but I do think they need to spend more time of checking their winner envelopes henceforward.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings