Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your vites for the top 5 to 10 greartest *Oscarless performances?

spence

(HAD TO REVISE, DUE TO SOME I CHOSE DID INDEED WIN) 

Obviously given the fact the 89th Annual *Academy Awards ended less then a week ago, I wanted this crowd-(finest on the net) :D

To cast your vote or votes for the top 5 to 10 if you like, all-time greatest performances-(male & female)
performances, works ever on "The Silver-Screen" that were either not even nommed that year, or
were in the race, but LOST??? :rolleyes:

List as many as you desire, I'll limit mine top 5 myself   Plus, limiting myself to just one choice per category)

Top (5) Best *Oscar less Performances:   (*-& again, still denotes a past or present winner)

1st place *Spencer Tracy in "The 0ld Man and the Sea" (l958) (WB's)-(toss-up between him in this epic & 1960's "Inherit the Wind" (UA)-(TRIVIA: Next time you happen to see the beginning, it's Universal Studios in Burbank & same town square from 1985's "Back to the Future" "Music Man" "Arsenic & 0ld Lace" & many others) (ALSO-RAN: His superbly understated work in same yrs Irish politico "The Last Hurrah")
2nd  Chaplin in "City Lights" (l93l-UA)
3rd  Orson Welles in "Kane" (l94l-RKO Radio)
4th  James Cagney in "White Heat" (l949-Warner Bros.)
& 5th place by me *Laurence 0livier in "Richard III"
(ALSO-RAN: Humphrey Bogart in "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" (l948-WB's)

(TRIVIA: "Premiere magazine" (l987-2002) once polled it's editing team, critics,etc on the single greatest performance by anyone in motion picture history & the winner was: Peter 0'Toole in *"Lawrence of Arabia")

& to the "Ladies> :D  :D  :)

1st place  Maria Falconetti in "Passion of Joan of Arc" (l928-French)-(WHERE WAS HOLLYWOOD & *THE ACADEMY HERE?) :(
2nd Greta Garbo in "Camille" (l937-MGM)-(many historians rate her work here as the single greatest ever by an actress) 
3rd  Meryl Streep in "Ironweed" (l987)

4th  Bette Davis, "Pvt. Lives of Elizabeth & Essex" (l939-WB's)
& 5th ?

TANX AGAIN   & PLEASE CASST YOUR OWN VOTES   & JUST BECAUSE I ONY INCLUDED 1 PER. IN A CATEGOIRY, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO HAVE FUN & DO YOUR OWN THING!!!

& to Topbilled, Jakeem, hope to see your ever respected candidates

1.  Julie Andrews - THE SOUND OF MUSIC

2.  Olivia de Havilland - THE SNAKE PIT

3.  Kathy Bates - DOLORES CLAIBORNE

4.  Julie Andrews - STAR!

5.  Patty Duke - ME, NATALIE

1.  Jimmy Stewart - IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE

2.  Dick Van Dyke - MARY POPPINS

3.  Van Heflin - PATTERNS

4.  Robert Preston - THE MUSIC MAN

5.  William Daniels - 1776

1.  Jimmy Stewart - IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE-(as strong as *March was in *"Best Years of 0ur Lives" had it not been for it's timing, *Jimmy probably woulda' taken it again)

Some interesting picks & I thank you

How could I neglect to include NATALIE as Deanie in 1961's"Splenrdor in the Grass"-(her favf. role as well)

& on that note, I should (revise) a couple of mine, because  some I voted for did win *Oscars

Some interesting picks & I thank you

How could I neglect to include NATALIE as Deanie in 1961's"Splenrdor in the Grass"-(her fav. role as well)

& on that note, I should (revise) a couple of mine, because  some I voted for did win *Oscars

KUDOS for citing Van Dyke in "Mary Poppins" nobody else has ever mentioned him & him being a non contender for it

1.  Jimmy Stewart - IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE

Warner Bros. wanted Cary Grant for "The Music Man" but he told them if they didn't cast Preston, he wouldn't even bother to go & see the film)

• Like 1

Sidney Poitier. "Raisin In the Sun"

Kevin Costner "Bull Durham"

Jack Nicholson "Chinatown "

Susan Sarandon "Bull Durham"

Deborah Kerr " From Here to Eternity "

Julie Harris " A Member of the Wedding "

Virtually all the Oscar pundits back then predicted *Jack would win for "Chinatown" but *Art (Norton) Carney won instead for "Harry and Tonto"

& to this day *Sarandon says she got into such a funk/depressed about not even being in the race for "Bull Durham" it took her weeks to come out of it

• Like 1

There is sooo many, what about Dennis Hopper in "Blue Velvet" (l986) he & Lynch created one of cinemas' all-time villians. Something Lynch would further do with others

I remember ET was with Hopper when the nominations were announced & he was a bit taken back himself that he was nominated instead for "Hoosiers' that year-(turned out to be his only acting shot)

Sidney Poitier. "Raisin In the Sun"

Kevin Costner "Bull Durham"

Jack Nicholson "Chinatown "

Susan Sarandon "Bull Durham"

Deborah Kerr " From Here to Eternity "

Julie Harris " A Member of the Wedding "

Leonard Maltin always votes for *Poitier in "A Raisin in the Sun" as his finest hour

• Like 1

I've long felt that FREDERIC MARCH should have won his 3rd for INHERIT THE WIND.

Sepiatone

Some actually accused March of overacting, but I certainly don't agree

Sure wish TCM would get the rights to his 1951 version of "Death of a Salesman"

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings