Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AddictedToCinema

"TOMMY"

I watched "Tommy" Saturday night. It was the first time I'd seen it since it first came out in 1975. I remember waiting and standing in a line that wrapped around the theatre. I didn't like it then, but thought a second viewing would change my mind. NOPE, I still thought it was absurd. Ann-Margret wollering, and lavishing, in a room full of tv spewed pork-n-beans has to be the most ridiculous thing ever put on film. I only hope she was well compensated for her effort. Anyway, I was curious what others think of "Tommy".

For what it's worth, if you like this kind of music, you may want to make sure you watch the version with the quadraphonic sound... the DVD has it, but I don't know if the TCM print had it.

I remember Quadraphonic very well. I bought a quadraphonic receiver back then, but the records were too expensive, and there weren't many FM stations that broadcast in that format. Also, the receiver I had developed a problem with one of the channels and no one could ever fix it. That was the end of my quadraphonic days and I ended up buying a regular stereo receiver.

I love rock, but when I was a freshman in college the people in the dorm room next door played this album ad nauseam. I've never been able to listen to the music since.

I with you on disliking the film. I didn't like it when it came out and I don't like it now. Most of that opinion is based on not caring much for the Who. There are a few clever scenes worth watching, but it is a chore for me to sit through the whole thing.

I've seen the movie a few times but never cared that much for it (I am sure a lot of that is based on that I don't like Oliver Reed, period). However, I was totally amazed by the staging of the Broadway production.

I have 5.1 set up, too, though I never use my subwoofer. I recently upgraded to a receiver/amplifier with DTS and the sound difference is amazing when you have a DVD that has been recorded in DTS (not many are), as opposed to Dolby Digital 5.1. Watching (and listening to) the new Ultimate Edition of You Only Live Twice in DTS makes you feel you are in the big battle inside the volcano near the end.

I saw it when it came out...I was 14...and thought it was fantastic. I bought the soundtrack and played it over and over...I know all the lyrics.

I watched it again and no longer have that fantastic opinion of it. I do still love the music and Ann-Margret. I thought she did a great job. If must have been difficult working for Ken Russell, but at least she got an Oscar nomination for it.

It's been quite a while since the last time I watched it... I think I enjoyed it but I don't remember much about it. I'd love to watch it again, but on DVD, to make sure I get the quadraphonic sound! ;)

I just had another "Tommy" memory. The soundtrack was a double album. Remember how double albums would open? Anyway, my friends and I would use my "Tommy" double album to clean the seeds and stems out of our "lids." Eric Clapton's "Eyesight To The Blind" never sounded better!

I remember double albums, the soundtracks for Star Wars and Superman were some of my first...

And more recently, many laserdiscs used the same "gatefold jacket" design, to use the industry parlance...

I was a rabid Who fan (still am to some degree), and saw it in Junior High when it came out. I absolutely loved it. Watched it in college and thought it was funny. Saw it again a couple of years ago and it was dreadful. It's just one of a number of films that I've outgrown, I guess.

Brilliant. I'd give One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest Best Picture, but Best Director goes to Tommy. Visually astounding satiropera that is scored by The Who. What more can you want?

I love rock, but when I was a freshman in college the people in the dorm room next door played this album ad nauseam. I've never been able to listen to the music since.

That's too bad Ayres. Let me recommend as a cure, the DVD The Kids Are All Right, the documentary of the first fifteen years of The Who. It was completed just prior to drummer Keith Moon's death in 1979 and features excellent concert footage (two songs were staged for the movie, but who cares?) and interviews. It's not presented in chronological order, which keeps it fresh. Sort of like Kane - you ever quite know where you are in the movie. The cold opening with The Smothers Brothers footage sets the tone and it just keeps coming.

Roger and Pete were in Dallas last November and I was lucky enough to see them. For a couple of 62 year olds, they can still rock pretty hard.

And hey - the hypnotized never lie.

(cue)

what does that cue have to do with BB? :P

Hmm...maybe her mention in the Who's It's Not Enough?

I had the opposite experience when I watched Tommy in 1975. I thought is was horrible. I couldn't stand to watch 2 minutes of it. I listened to the album a lot though. I refused to watch it ever again until 30 years later in 2005 when I had to watch it for a Christmas party. Then I thought it was great. I still thought is was overly extreme, but I think it's a British classic.