Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CinemaInternational

Our Members Tributes to Robert Osborne (1932-2017)

On 9/12/2019 at 6:10 AM, spence said:

Apparently the fans really liked Mr. 0sborne  Anyone purchase what I call My Oscar Bible  85yrs of Oscar by him?

On 9/12/2019 at 6:13 AM, spence said:

& of course wonder if same huge coffee table book will be kept up, say by Ben Mankiewicz???

One of the great gifts we received for being a guest programmer was a personalized autographed copy of Robert Osborne's book. It will always be one of my prized possessions.

I would hope, perhaps Dave Karger will continue in RO's footsteps. "In 2012 and 2013, Dave was the Academy's official red-carpet greeter on Oscar night, only the third person ever to hold that post." A post RO himself once held!

On 11/2/2019 at 7:22 PM, John Louis Gerdes said:

I greatly miss Robert!

Me too. It's continues to be a great loss to me and my daily viewing of TCM.

• Like 1

I just heard Dave Karger introduce "Kelly's Heroes" mentioning the character of "Private Kelly". There is no Private Kelly in this movie.

Kelly was a Platoon Leader with rank of Lieutenant, who got a raw deal from Command, took blame that wasn't his, and and perhaps got busted down in rank. It's never clear in the movie what Kelly's current military rank is, just that he is assigned to the company or platoon that Big Joe (Telly Savalas) is the sergeant for. What is very clear is that Big Joe is the main and senior enlisted leadership figure in the company, yet Kelly still carries himself as a company officer, and remains an influencer and leader despite his compromised status.

Dave Karger has failed his first test. Robert Osborne would not have made such a mistake.

On 11/11/2019 at 10:51 PM, NavyFlyer1325 said:

I just heard Dave Karger introduce "Kelly's Heroes" mentioning the character of "Private Kelly". There is no Private Kelly in this movie.

Kelly was a Platoon Leader with rank of Lieutenant, who got a raw deal from Command, took blame that wasn't his, and and perhaps got busted down in rank. It's never clear in the movie what Kelly's current military rank is, just that he is assigned to the company or platoon that Big Joe (Telly Savalas) is the sergeant for. What is very clear is that Big Joe is the main and senior enlisted leadership figure in the company, yet Kelly still carries himself as a company officer, and remains an influencer and leader despite his compromised status.

Dave Karger has failed his first test. Robert Osborne would not have made such a mistake.

You’re new around here. There used to be an ongoing thread here about Osborne’s mistakes. Probably the only reason it’s not prominent is due to his death. 

Does anyone have info who will carry on his tremendous coffee table book 85 Years f OSCAR?

On 12/8/2019 at 10:48 PM, HelenBaby2 said:

You’re new around here. There used to be an ongoing thread here about Osborne’s mistakes. Probably the only reason it’s not prominent is due to his death. 

I personally have long disliked Karger, back when he was a lame pc critic for EW Entertainment weekly that's why I want L. Maltin or Bogdanovich in his place

Both are walking talking encyclopedia's on film history, like Scorsese