Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Our Members Tributes to Robert Osborne (1932-2017)

20 hours ago, Leighcat said:

I met Mr. Osborne while I was working in the video department of the Virgin Megastore in 2008 and asked him if he would have any input toward getting Waterloo Bridge from 1940 a dvd release. He thought it was already out, but I assured him that it was the Mae Clarke version that was available. We both fawned over Vivien Leigh for a while and he told me he would handle it. It was announced and released not too long afterwards.

What a terrific man.

My meeting with Ben Mankiewicz later left the opposite impression...

So, you're sayin' Ben preferred the Mae Clark version instead, and THEN tried to fawn over HER with you???

Yeah, okay, I suppose I can see why you seem much less impressed with The Mankster, then!

Sure! I think Viv was MUCH hotter than Mae ever was TOO, ya see.

(...but then again, I HAVE always gone much more for brunettes than I ever did blondes, ya know)  ;)

53 minutes ago, Dargo said:

So, you're sayin' Ben preferred the Mae Clark version instead, and THEN tried to fawn over HER with you???

Made me want to smash a grapefruit right in his face.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • 5 weeks later...
On 10/4/2020 at 6:27 AM, Stallion said:

I watched the tribute to Robert Osborne the other day and I can't say that I get it. Granted, I have only been watching TCM for a year or two but from what I have seen, I prefer Ben to Robert.

As Bing Crosby says to Frank Sinatra at one point during the 'What a Swell Party This Is' number in the movie High Society:

"You must be one of the newer fellas."

;)

• Haha 2
  • 1 month later...

00:04 11/2/2019 TCM - Turner Classic Movies -Fan Site
801 reactions (34 tears, 242 hearts, 517 likes), 97 Comments

Robert Osborne and TCM's 25th Anniversary, 11/2019

Robert Osborne

Robert Osborne, you were an exceptional man, with your insider knowledge, your disarming charm and friendships with stars, many of whom have avoided cameras of any sort, as they thought it would be discovered that they didn't know what they were doing, and the grips knew more about acting than they, and they'd be tossed off the lot at any time, even the very best of them.
I've missed many of the early editions of your "Private Screenings", because TCM wasn't yet available here, although the moment it was, I was a fanatic viewer, and I have joyously watched any returns to it.

We celebrate Ted Turner's brilliant Idea that with a broken down studio in Hollywood, he could also get their entire back catalogue of films basically free, put money into restoration, and gave we "Movie Matinee" and "Midnight Classics" viewers our favourite movies, but not overdubbed 12 times on film and videotape edited with an axe, not only in the middle of a scene, but often mid-sentence, to get that "Cheers" laundry soap ad, or an "Ovaltine" hot malted drink ad in on the time promised to the sponsor.

You gave us wonderful behind-the-scenes stories, that hurt no-one, and gave us great insights into films we already loved, with that Northwestern charm of yours, and I'm certain that I'm not alone in missing you, as we binge-watch fantastic movies on the TCM channel that, without you, could easily have been a bust.

Happy 25th Anniversary TCM, and thank you for the restoration of films otherwise lost in the vaults, or lost forever, binned with the best. And thank you, Robert Osborne, for your encyclopaedic knowledge of film, and for your friendship with so many actors and actresses, who, without your interest and kind insistence to come out and face a camera again to find how loved they are still, otherwise remaining forgotten, amongst the dim memories of the brilliant stars of yesteryear.

You are much loved and greatly missed, Bob. We will always remember your humble kindness, charm, invaluable contributions to TCM, and tireless work helping to save so many great films in general.
-d-

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

I never weighed in on Robert's passing. I loved to watch him talk about the films before each one he'd show. He was the perfect personality for TCM.  TCM isn't the same without him.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

:)

"Robert Osborne, the beloved Turner Classic Movies host, died in 2017, but he will live on forever on the website of the American Film Institute, an institution he loved.

On May 3, which would have been Osborne's 89th birthday, AFI.com will unveil The Osborne Collection, a microsite — to be located at AFI.com/Osborne — featuring dozens of Osborne's famously smart and genial TCM introductions. Thenceforth, anyone who wishes to hear Osborne's take on many classic movies will be able to do so with just a few clicks.

For instance, people participating in this year's virtual TCM Film Festival, which will run from May 6 through May 9, will be able to refer to The Osborne Collection to see how the man himself introduced seven films that will be screening as part of the fest: Bringing Up Baby, The Thin Man, The Best Years of Our Lives, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, Top Hat, North by Northwest and the 1954 version of A Star Is Born...........

— will post an in-depth conversation about Osborne's life and legacy featuring TCM host Ben Mankiewicz, who worked alongside Osborne for many years, and yours truly, a columnist heavily focused on the Academy Awards, about which Osborne literally wrote the book(s). This dialogue will become accessible here on May 3 at 2pm PDT.

"Bob's passion for classic film was contagious, and he generously shared that passion with the world," Bob Gazzale, AFI's president and CEO, said in a statement. "His pioneering tenure as TCM's host best illustrated his encyclopedic knowledge of film history and made his name synonymous with thoughtful film introductions. With this new Collection, AFI celebrates his impact on the world of film scholarship — and ensures that Osborne's spirit endures at AFI."

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/3/2021 at 10:25 PM, yanceycravat said:

Happy Birthday Robert. The last true gentleman on television!

Well, Alex Trebek DID live on a few years after Bob passed ya know, yancey.  ;)

(...but yeah, I get your point here, and yeah it's still a good point)

• Like 1

I just dug up the oldest thing on my DVR, a recording of "Stars in My Crown" from May 3 of last year.  It was Robert Osborne's birthday so they included recordings of him introducing "Stars in My Crown" on TCM in 1996.  Good times.

• Like 1
On 5/30/2021 at 12:15 PM, Vidor said:

I just dug up the oldest thing on my DVR, a recording of "Stars in My Crown" from May 3 of last year.  It was Robert Osborne's birthday so they included recordings of him introducing "Stars in My Crown" on TCM in 1996.  Good times.

I had recorded a movie from his last appearance on TCM, when Candice Bergen was Guest Programmer. He hadn’t been on the channel for months but these wrap arounds were recorded before he got really sick. I kept that on my DVR for a few years until I had to turn all my equipment in when I changed my tv service last year. I miss him a lot. 

• Like 1