Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Our Members Tributes to Robert Osborne (1932-2017)

On 2/27/2021 at 10:52 AM, KidChaplin said:

I never weighed in on Robert's passing. I loved to watch him talk about the films before each one he'd show. He was the perfect personality for TCM.  TCM isn't the same without him.

Same for me.

I cut the cable about 2 years ago.  About the only thing I even watched at that point was TCM, and BM was spoiling that for me so was easier to finally make the decision.

1 hour ago, tallhair said:

Same for me.

I cut the cable about 2 years ago.  About the only thing I even watched at that point was TCM, and BM was spoiling that for me so was easier to finally make the decision.

I like your profile picture!

• Like 1

On 10/6/2020 at 6:44 AM, Dargo said:

As Bing Crosby says to Frank Sinatra at one point during the 'What a Swell Party This Is' number in the movie High Society:

"You must be one of the newer fellas."

;)

It is true that at the time I originally wrote this I had only been going to TCM for about a year and a half. With more exposure to Robert Osborne since then, I now think I understand the reverence he gets around here. I now see the many traits he had that gave him a warm and very knowledgeable presence. In the defense of my original comment, the bits where Ben and Eddie interacted were fresh on my mind and I thought those times were cute, especially since Eddie is my favorite current host.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Reposting from Off Topics

The other night pulled out a VHS tape to watch "The Ragman" (1925) I recorded back in 2001 on TCM.

Robert-Osbourne.png

Have several others, anyone now regretting tossing them out?

• Like 2

On 6/27/2022 at 10:47 PM, hamradio said:

Reposting from Off Topics

The other night pulled out a VHS tape to watch "The Ragman" (1925) I recorded back in 2001 on TCM.

Robert-Osbourne.png

Have several others, anyone now regretting tossing them out?

I've never had DVR so I used VHS until it was no longer possible. I had around 20 or 30 tapes in rotation, all full of TCM movies. In my carefree youth, before my pesky job started getting in the way and my tendency to fall asleep whenever I sit down kicked in, I would sit for hours watching one movie after another.  I kept my VCR though I couldn't record with it, but eventually, those tapes got pushed to the back of the cabinet, forced out by DVDs and live TV.  A couple of years ago, I was cleaning out and decided to get rid of the tapes. Before I threw them away, I scanned through all of them watching RO's introductions. I almost kept them simply for RO, but ultimately decided to let them go. Some of the tapes were quite old and featured RO while he was still in his prime before signs of illness started to show.  It was a joy to relive the glory days of TCM.  I don't exactly regret tossing them, but they reminded me how much I miss RO and how much it better TCM was without all the politics, PC, and unfunny jokes that permeate TCM now.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LoyFan said:

I've never had DVR so I used VHS until it was no longer possible. I had around 20 or 30 tapes in rotation, all full of TCM movies. In my carefree youth, before my pesky job started getting in the way and my tendency to fall asleep whenever I sit down kicked in, I would sit for hours watching one movie after another.  I kept my VCR though I couldn't record with it, but eventually, those tapes got pushed to the back of the cabinet, forced out by DVDs and live TV.  A couple of years ago, I was cleaning out and decided to get rid of the tapes. Before I threw them away, I scanned through all of them watching RO's introductions. I almost kept them simply for RO, but ultimately decided to let them go. Some of the tapes were quite old and featured RO while he was still in his prime before signs of illness started to show.  It was a joy to relive the glory days of TCM.  I don't exactly regret tossing them, but they reminded me how much I miss RO and how much it better TCM was without all the politics, PC, and unfunny jokes that permeate TCM now.

Did you mean DVD recorders?  I have 3, 1 stand alone and 2 combo units which has VHS.  I am now running out of movies to record - nothing worthy anymore unless there's a lost film found. My Directv DVR is used temporary until I decide to record to DVD or delete.

Some of Robert's intro's are on Youtube, this one a salute to Kay Francis.  I recorded "I Found Stella Parish" back in the early 2000's as well before it was released to the public on DVD. It has the much older TCM fanfare.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 5:28 PM, LoyFan said:

how much I miss RO and how much it better TCM was without all the politics, PC, and unfunny jokes that permeate TCM now.

I agree with you, LoyFan.   

It's been a challenge for me with their new "direction".   I'm finding that muting everything but the movies themselves keeps my blood pressure in a normal range.   Seriously!  No more lectures, crazy themes, rebranding, overbearing intros, and the like.  Just sweet silence, and I say this as a person who normally loves intellectual discussions and analysis of film, not someone who sticks her head in the sand unable to entertain progressive concepts.  But I feel TCM has gone way overboard to frankly the point of obnoxiousness.   

I'm still a loyal viewer.  I feel privileged to be a member of this board for these many years and hope the channel can perhaps "get back" to some semblance of what made it great to begin with!

Miss you, Robert.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

(note #1: a certain part of this video that might be of great interest to certain visitors of this site (between these points of its length: 34:20 - 38:14))

(note #2: some of the text over this video (specifically its text of, "Fox 10 News at 7AM Newscast on March 8, 2002") was probably made with at least one error)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really surprised Robert Osborne never wrote an autobiography.  His time in Old Hollywood and the personal relationships he cultivated when he rubbed elbows with the likes of Judy Garland and Lucille Ball, were so unique and one of a kind.  I remember watching an interview with him and he told the story of when he was a young man he was invited to a party and many great Classic Hollywood stars were gathered around a piano giving their undivided attention to the pianist.  It was none other than Judy Garland playing the piano and entertaining the guests.  Robert went on to describe how the classic stars (this was probably in the 1950s) he spoke with were so appreciative and genuinely surprised of his interest in their earlier works from the 1930s and 1940s.  It was a time before nostalgia in the industry was really a thing.

I'm also discouraged with the lack of Robert Osborne content available on TCM and TCM.com.  Why aren't Robert's "Conversations" interviews available?  Why aren't his "The Essentials" shows accessible?  I'm a relatively new (in my early 30s, been watching TCM for just a few years) TCM convert---but I quickly realized that Robert's work on TCM is unparalleled in its quality and we as viewers should have access to it.  

• Like 1

On 7/21/2022 at 6:12 PM, CineClassics said:

I'm a relatively new (in my early 30s, been watching TCM for just a few years) TCM convert---but I quickly realized that Robert's work on TCM is unparalleled in its quality and we as viewers should have access to it.  

How were you "converted" to TCM? Was it by happenstance, something TCM did specifically to attract you as a viewer, or something else?

On 7/25/2022 at 10:09 PM, LoyFan said:

How were you "converted" to TCM? Was it by happenstance, something TCM did specifically to attract you as a viewer, or something else?

I wanted to familiarize myself with classic cinema, so I started out by adding TCM on SlingTV.  As time went on, I would seek out TCM intros and outros on Youtube to every classic film I would watch.  Most of those intros and outros were by Robert Osborne.  That led me to seek out additional Robert Osborne interviews.  I then joined the Ask Eddie chat that is a live chat with Eddie Muller, and so on and so forth.  My wife and I are also attending the TCM Cruise this upcoming November.

• Like 2