Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Programming Issues

What a fitting tribute to RO to return TCM to the Golden Age of Hollywood (1910's - 1960's). Maybe start a new channel for the "new" classics - TNM (Turner Neo-classic Movies - 1960's - now).

March programming - 1910's - 2; 1920's - 19;m1930's - 68; 1940's - 105; 1960's - 82; 1970's - 28; 1980's - 9; 1990's -1; 2003 - 1 (what is this about?).

Also, reruns are a waste of programming time. March has 8 not counting interviews, etc. If I can learn how to use a smart-phone, others can learn how to use a DVR, WatchTCM, OnDemand, and a number of other movie sources.

What a fitting tribute to RO to return TCM to the Golden Age of Hollywood (1910's - 1960's). Maybe start a new channel for the "new" classics - TNM (Turner Neo-classic Movies - 1960's - now).

March programming - 1910's - 2; 1920's - 19;m1930's - 68; 1940's - 105; 1960's - 82; 1970's - 28; 1980's - 9; 1990's -1; 2003 - 1 (what is this about?).

Also, reruns are a waste of programming time. March has 8 not counting interviews, etc. If I can learn how to use a smart-phone, others can learn how to use a DVR, WatchTCM, OnDemand, and a number of other movie sources.

So you're saying TCM should never repeat a movie? That seems silly. I'm sure you've seen one of the many, many, many threads on this subject in the past, so you probably already know that budgetary constraints are one reason for a more limited selection. TCM is unedited, commercial-free programming, and that's not cheap. They often repeat films from their own library that does not further stretch the already limited budget.

As for your complaints about the age of films, even by your own breakdown, of the 315 movies in March, 276 are from the silent era through the 1960's, while 39 are from after. That's complaint worthy? Maybe while those 39 "newer" movies are on, you can watch something else on your smartphone, DVR, WatchTCM, OnDemand or a number of other movie sources.

I have my own "library" of movies, and there are several particular ones that often get repeat viewings, so I can understand TCM's doing the same.  But then......

If I want something I don't HAVE in my library, all I have to do is either buy a copy off Amazon, borrow and burn it, or acquire it somewhere else.  WITHOUT the legal hassle of obtaining any "rights" to it.

And since I don't have a "smartphone"( and NO interest in getting one) , and DVR service from my cable provider is too cost prohibitive, and I already have more than enough electronic crap hooked together in my living room, I don't NEED someone suggesting I use sources that may require MORE crap to buy or silly devices I don't want just to watch a movie thank you.  At my age, simplification is the goal.

Sepiatone