Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Has anybody seen the BP *Oscar winner "Moonlight?"

spence

Off the topic of the sad passing today of Mr. 0sborne, I was just wondering if anyone out there has seen the recent & biggest upset in it's history, *Oscar winner  for Best Picture "Moonlight?"

Despite all the hoopla, it's only grossed about $26m. to date, making it the 2nd lowest BP winner in history, only after the superb 2009 6 time sweeping "The Hurt Locker" which only sold approx. $17 million in tickets

THANK YOU

& to Lawrence, I know I rush through a lot & have much to cover a lot of the time & musta' obviously missed that thread

But thanks anyway for the tip

On that note, without looking it up, have you seen it as yet? Darn theaters down here already cut it loose? Not exactly the culture center of the country down here in FL

I did see that some wrote about the bizarre passing of Bill Paxton on *Oscar day-(I think it was the day brefore actually) As all say the go in 3's & I wonder whom is next huh?

(P.S. I think I even chimed-in on Paxton's & also suggested a little known vampire thriller-(before they were the rage) 1987's "Near Dark" (***) helmed by future *Oscar winning director *Kathryn Bigalow (*"Hurt Locker" "Zero Dark Thirty")

She was married to *James Cameron for awhile & several of his regular cast members are also on hand

THANK YOU

I haven't seen Moonlight yet, as I live in a small town (also in Florida) that doesn't often get more artistic fare. Hidden Figures and Hacksaw Ridge were the only BP nominees to play here.

And yes, I know Near Dark. I like it a lot, and rank it among my 10 favorite of 1987.

I'd never even heard of it until after the Oscar ceremonies ended and I looked on here and noted what picture won BP and the screw-up that went with the presentation.  I had at least heard of LA LA LAND and MANCHESTER BY THE SEA before Oscar night. 

I'd never even heard of it until after the Oscar ceremonies ended and I looked on here and noted what picture won BP and the screw-up that went with the presentation.  I had at least heard of LA LA LAND and MANCHESTER BY THE SEA before Oscar night. 

Ditto.  ;)

And LA LA LAND only interested me because, as once explained some time ago, my wife, whose name is ALICIA, acquired the nickname of  LA-LA from a grandniece who, when two or so years old, couldn't wrap her mouth sufficiently around the actual name, and soon EVERYBODY in the family started calling her "La-La".  :D

Even though I haven't seen or heard of MOONLIGHT, the thing I liked about it's winning WAS the low box office reciepts at the time.  We often argue in here that box office should never be seen as a guage to the quality of any movie, as the Oscars really isn't supposed to be a popularity contest.  Ask yourself THIS question........

How many movies that won "Best Picture"  awards were movies that YOU utterly HATED?

Sepiatone

This is as good of a thread as any to just plop an overview for those who have NOT seen it, just so they have some concept. Those who have seen it can correct me on my details here.

My guess is that this is the cheapest Best Pic in production costs (if you adjust inflation), so it certainly made a profit regardless. Lots of scenic exotic locations like the Miami beach and the "projects" housing. Like half of the Best Pics, it is "good" (I would give it at least three stars) rather than "great", probably less innovative than the previously nominated (but lost) Boyhood which I think it resembles the most.

Without spoiling too much here, it is a simple tale of a boy (a.k.a. "Little", "Chiron" and "Black" at the different ages of 8-9, teenager and mid-20s) growing up with a drug addicted mommy (Naomie Harris is nice and fiesty here) and temporarily having a "daddy figure" who is also involved in the drug business (Mahershala Ali won the acting award but is quite mellow and understated). However we don't see much drug taking. Most of the violence occurs in fist fights among teenagers or mommy yelling at sonny boy. Although touted as the first "gay" Best Pic, we saw a lot more same sex affection in previous Best Pics like Midnight Cowboy and American Beauty.

Baby boomers will enjoy the vintage '73 Chevy shown and the sixties music of Aretha Franklin and Barbara Lewis on the soundtrack. The artsy cinematography crowd will like the creative 360 degree pans, low angle shots following a child's point of view, in focus and out of focus gimmickry and Technicolor-ish night time shots, especially in the diner scenes late in the movie. Some story elements repeat in an interesting way: Kevin, the other boy the main character (mostly called Chiron) develops affection for, offers him a ride and is only thanked for the ride (and not for the bro-bonding on the beach). Later Chiron gives Kevin a ride and is thanked much the same way. There is an interesting symmetry to the story with each of the three "parts" having certain themes. Water is an interesting theme because our main character is more himself either in the ocean or taking a bath with a pot from the stove because mommy is spending money on her own fix rather than fixing the water heater. Also as a little kid ("Little"), he is instructed by his buddy to be tough and, late in the movie, he is benching the weights gung-ho... but "toughness" is something altogether different as he learns.

• Like 1

Oh heck, I put on the subtitles because there was other noise interfering at the time. Ha ha!

I agree that all of the performances were good. Naomie Harris, of course, was a lot more animated than Mahershala Ali. Yet I am glad he won for his role.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings