Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Osbourne & Baldwin on "All About Eve"?

tairaterces

Does anybody here remember a disagreement between Robert and Alec about the film "All About Eve"?  Maybe one considered it a great film, but the other didn't?  I vaguely remember some surprising differences of opinion on a few "Essentials" films (with all the hosts, actually), but not this one specifically, so I hoped maybe someone here remembers that in some detail.  I tried searching the Net and the forums here, without success, so I'd appreciate any input.  Thanks!

Does anybody here remember a disagreement between Robert and Alec about the film "All About Eve"?  Maybe one considered it a great film, but the other didn't?  I vaguely remember some surprising differences of opinion on a few "Essentials" films (with all the hosts, actually), but not this one specifically, so I hoped maybe someone here remembers that in some detail.  I tried searching the Net and the forums here, without success, so I'd appreciate any input.  Thanks!

Watch the TCM special that will honor Robert.   I believe this exchange is part of the programming.

Thanks!  I planned to do that, anyway, of course, so I'll have to keep an eye out for that. 

I know from time to time Robert and Alex wouldn't agree on something and that helps make such discussions interesting.   Regardless they were always respectful to each other and that says something about both of them.     

I also plan to watch the tribute.   The only interview I don't wish to see again is the one Robert did with Mitchum.   Mitchum wasn't very nice and wouldn't answer much of anything and he was rude.    Hey,  I love Mitchum and later on I heard he wasn't feeling well but still,,,,

That interview was the completely different than the one Robert did with Tony Curtis.   Wow did Tony open up especially when the topic was Janet.

I know from time to time Robert and Alex wouldn't agree on something and that helps make such discussions interesting.   Regardless they were always respectful to each other and that says something about both of them.     

I also plan to watch the tribute.   The only interview I don't wish to see again is the one Robert did with Mitchum.   Mitchum wasn't very nice and wouldn't answer much of anything and he was rude.    Hey,  I love Mitchum and later on I heard he wasn't feeling well but still,,,,

That interview was the completely different than the one Robert did with Tony Curtis.   Wow did Tony open up especially when the topic was Janet.

I always thought so, too.  It wouldn't seem as real, maybe, if they'd always agreed.  And yes, respect for everybody was a Osbourne trademark, in my view.  I love[d] the show and hope they can revive it again someday soon.  Sure, it'll make me miss Robert at first, but I think I'll still enjoy seeing it again.

I, too, got my hackles up watching that Mitchum interview.  It just didn't make a lot of sense, to me, that he'd be so obstinate, after agreeing to the interview.  I didn't realize Mitchum wasn't feeling well, but that's no excuse, in my opinion.  Why not cancel or reschedule, or failing that, just apologize for the silence and say why?  Not his style, I guess, and I too, love Mitchum.  Just not that day, lol.

I'm not sure I've ever seen the TC interview, or at least, not in full.  I don't see that one on the tribute schedule, But I hope it'll be included, anyway.   ;) 

• Like 1

On a couple of the cruises Robert talked about the Mitchum interview and he said it was his least favorite since he wasn't very forthcoming. He added that when the camera wasn't on that Mitchum talked a lot but clammed up when they started again. Robert said it was frustrating.

I still can't believe he's gone.

On a couple of the cruises Robert talked about the Mitchum interview and he said it was his least favorite since he wasn't very forthcoming. He added that when the camera wasn't on that Mitchum talked a lot but clammed up when they started again. Robert said it was frustrating.

I still can't believe he's gone.

I believe Robert may have addressed this in Alec's TCM interview of him, too, because I remember him saying that very thing somewhere I could hear it, too.  He was completely puzzled that Mitchum was friendly and almost chatty between takes, but refused to say anything as soon as the camera came back on.  I felt kind of sorry for Jane Russell, too, trying to cover for Mitchum's obstinacy as best she could, lol.  Strange interview, certainly, and not the kind of thing you'd think anybody would do to somebody as sweet as Robert Osbourne.  ???

As for your disbelief, I can't either!  I still choke up when it hits me.  Tell me no!     

I enjoyed discussions where differences are expressed, it requires more thought and expression to be able to differ with someone rather than agree.  I think the ability to offer respectful disagreements is a sign of the ability to think and use the power of reasoning. 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings