Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I Miss CARTOON Alley

Tikisoo

All this talk about Noir got me remembering the good old days of Cartoon Alley on TCM. I still have a few recordings with Ben Mankiewicz - I think his first hosting job on TCM.

While I love the Bowery Boys, Maisie, Andy Hardy & Tarzan movies in the Saturday morning time slot,  cartoons would fit perfectly. I'd love to have some kind of intro/outro on animated classics.

I remember the days when you'd see a cartoon "warm up" before a feature in a theater. The film group I belong to often includes short subjects before the feature presentation and they are wildly popular!

What better way to introduce the next generation to classic film, the way WE were brought into the fold: Saturday morning movies geared to kids (that adults enjoy too)

Animated features and cartoon shorts are an element of classic film. Are they just not offered in "package" rentals anymore?

• Like 1

Think that's another bit of Warner neurosis:
Ie. believing that classic Bugs Bunny and Tom & Jerry "belong" on Cartoon Network, but since Cartoon Network doesn't do old cartoons anymore, they should be on Boomerang, which doesn't show vintage cartoons anymore either, and besides, Warner literally thinks we've "forgotten" Bugs because the cheap mass-market DVD's weren't selling and the new CN series tanked with fans.

(Which is why they keep marketing new Tom & Jerry kiddy direct-videos instead.)

Not like the old days when they would put vintage Warner and MGM toons as part of the "old-movie package" on their catalogue-classic movie DVD's.

Yeh, Cartoon Alley was great, have three shorts with a common theme, the series ending ten years ago now. I think Ben M.'s hosting of this series was his introductory to many of him.

The final trio of cartoons was a tribute to Screwy Squirrel, a wild Tex Avery creation that only had a handful of cartoons, all manic and crazy.

4e260124b9d2969acc1b06e5591767c1.jpg

On the left is a conventional Disneyesque cute squirrel. On the right is Screwy, who will not be quite so lovable but a lot more laughs.

It would be nice to see Cartoon Alley come back, particularly if it shows cartoons not easily available on DVD.

• Like 1

On the left is a conventional Disneyesque cute squirrel. On the right is Screwy, who will not be quite so lovable but a lot more laughs.

It would be nice to see Cartoon Alley come back, particularly if it shows cartoons not easily available on DVD.

The in-joke was, he's not a Disneyesque cute squirrel, he's a Hugh Harman-esque cute squirrel, from the early-MGM "Peace on Earth" days before the studio discovered Tom & Jerry and Tex Avery.  

Which made Screwy's gag (and the "MY cartoon would have been cuter!" punchline) so much more iconic for classic-cartoon fans.  We got the historical joke.

Around the same time, Cartoon Network used to have "ToonHeads", where they explained various fan theories about the history of MGM and Warner cartoons (and often suspicious historical similarities between both)--

But that was before CN went on their big 00's campaign to demonize Hanna-Barbera, and any other "old" cartoon, as unfit for the Hipness of their network (ie. standing in the way of lucrative original-programming series), and they haven't been much into any cartoon that Warner can't icon-market.

As every cartoon fan knows, Warner Is Crazy and Cartoon Network Is Evil, and even TCM paid the price for it.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings