Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

June Schedule is Up

LawrenceA

A few interesting things. There's a James Caan night showing two of his I haven't seen: Rabbit Run and Hide In Plain Sight.

I love that TCM is showing Evil Dead 2.

From Hell It Came is making an appearance. Tabanga's always welcome.

Chungking Express is being shown on TCM Imports, as well as films by Oshima and Etaix, all of which I'd like to catch.

I started a thread recently asking what the heck ever happened to My Fair Lady, which for years and years and years was at least a bimonthly staple on TCM, if not monthly, but I discovered to my shock it hadn't aired since December, 2014. I wouldn't say I'd been MISSING it (like the guy says about work in Office Space), but I wondered if there was some rights-issue backstory. Anyway, I see it's airing on June 12 after an absence of 30 months. Apparently, you can have a Richard Burton SOTM run without either Becket or The Spy Who Came in from the Cold (I'm still in shock), but you COULDN'T have Audrey Hepburn as SOTM without My Fair Lady!

• Like 1

The Children's Hour which is shown a lot, is not included, would think that would be easy to rent. But at least some of her rarely shown films are included (Funny Face, War and Peace, How to Steal a Million). Two for the Road is not included either, but will be shown as part of European Vacation nights on another evening (but at 2AM!)

I'm pretty sure MFL has aired more recently than that (2014).

Am also disappointed in the Burton selection (as well showing it all in one week! HATE THAT).

Hibi, The Children's Hour is airing at 4:15 am on the 13th. I can't find Sabrina anywhere, however, which is my favorite Audrey Hepburn movie. I will definitely watch War and Peace, which I've only seen once, renting it from Blockbuster when there was such a thing about 20 years ago. It hasn't aired on TCM in seven years.

• Like 1

I like Audrey Hepburn, so I'm happy about that SOTM selection.  Though, I've seen/own most of her films, but I'd still watch :-)

There are a lot of different films on this schedule, ones that I don't see scheduled often.

Looking over the schedule, this is what pops out at me:

6/2

Summer Magic.  I love this Hayley Mills movie! Good choice TCM. 

6/3

Weekend at the Waldorf.  A Ginger Rogers movie I haven't seen.

I like the idea of an evening devoted to stories at the train station.  

Indiscretion of an American Wife. A Montgomery Clift movie I haven't seen.

Union Depot.  A Joan Blondell pre-code that I haven't seen.

6/4

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.  I want to see this Dorothy McGuire and Joan Blondell film.

6/8

Looks like a birthday tribute to Alexis Smith, who I enjoy.

The Horn Blows at Midnight.  This looks like an interesting film with Smith and Jack Benny.

6/9

The Enchanted Cottage.  This film starring Dorothy McGuire and Robert Young sounds interesting.  

The European Vacation theme in the evening sounds good.  I'm especially interested in The Pleasure Seekers with Ann-Margret.

6/11

Primetime dedicated to my beloved home state of Oregon?! :-D

6/13

The Marlene Dietrich evening.  Dietrich is someone whose films I'd like to see more of. Desire especially looks interesting.

6/24

The "Eyewitness" evening.  Rear Window is always good.  I'm also interested in The Window and Witness to Murder

6/25

Places in the Heart.  This film starring Sally Field and I believe it's the film she won her second Oscar for and gave her "you like me. You really like me" speech.

The Street With No Name.  This Richard Widmark film sounds interesting.

6/30

It's a Bikini World.  With a title like this, how can I say no?

They Won't Believe Me. A Susan Hayward and Jane Greer film that I haven't seen.

My Foolish Heart.  A Susan Hayward and Dana Andrews film I haven't seen.

Two For the Road.  An Audrey Hepburn film I haven't seen.

I'm sure when June rolls around, I'll find more films to record.

• Like 1

speedracer, just wanted to offer my opinion that two of the films you listed, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and The Enchanted Cottage, both starring Dorothy MGuire, are absolute must-sees. I just watched the former during 31 Days for the first time in several years. I had forgotten how great it is. For all that was to come in his career, I'll throw down the opinion that maybe Elia Kazan's first movie was his very best. Been a little longer since I've seen Enchanted Cottage, but I get goosebumps every time I watch it.

• Like 4

Yay!  TCM is going to show Z, A Canterbury Tale and show the premieres of Weekend and Pink Floyd:  the Wall.  Except it insists on showing all of them in the middle of the night.  At least Death in Venice starts just after midnight.

• Like 2

I'm happy with Audrey Hepburn as the SOTM--I'll happily rewatch her movies.  Some films that caught my eye:

June 1st--"Trouble for Two" (1936)--Rosalind Russell and Robert Montgomery in a macabre mystery with a light touch.

June 4th--"Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!" (1990)--Pedro Almodovar film I haven't seen.

June 10th--Two documentaries by Shirley Clarke--"Portrait of Jason" (1967) & "The Connection" (1961).

June 13th--"The Unforgiven" (1960)--Rousing western with Audrey Hepburn, Burt Lancaster, and Lillian Gish--this is a favorite.

June 15th--"Les Girls" (1957)--Cole Porter musical I haven't seen on the schedule in a while.  Kay Kendall steals the film.

June 16th--"Sincerely Yours" (1955)--I'm looking forward to seeing this.

June 19th--"How to Steal a Million" (1966)--Lightweight "caper film" with Audrey and Peter O'Toole.

June 30th--"Two For The Road" (1967)--Excellent film with Audrey Hepburn and Albert Finney.

• Like 1

June 13th is a night of Marlene Dietrich films, with two of them TCM premieres, I believe, Desire and Song of Songs.

Desire is a sparkling comedy romance delight, with the hand of producer Ernst Lubitsch highly evident throughout. Marlene is a sophisticated jewel thief (who wears an incredible array of outfits to the delight of the female patrons, I'm sure) who uses innocent Yankee tourist Gary Cooper as a dupe in a diamond necklace theft.

The film has a deft sophisticated touch, with Cooper and Dietrich demonstrating great screen chemistry. This one is a charmer not to be missed. Those who only think of Cooper as a "Yup" and "Nope" cowboy actor will be pleasantly surprised by his droll comedy touch here, one of the actor's most charming and engaging performances, in my opinion.

13019586353_888579b635_b.jpg

• Like 3

I just noticed that the Tabanga will be appearing on TCM on June 14 (I also just noticed that Lawrence already mentioned this).

What a perfectly patriotic way to celebrate Flag Day!

(From Hell It Came, June 14, 3:45 p.m./TCM Presents)

giphy.gif

• Like 4

I just noticed that the Tabanga will be appearing on TCM on June 14 (I also just noticed that Lawrence already mentioned this).

You can never mention Tabanga enough, I say!

• Like 2

giphy.gif

I don't care how stupid that might seem.  It looks cheesy and it looks good.  Cheesy + Good = Cheesy Goodness.  I can overlook the fact that it isn't some critic's favorite.

• Like 1

A few interesting things. There's a James Caan night showing two of his I haven't seen: Rabbit Run and Hide In Plain Sight.

Chungking Express is being shown on TCM Imports, as well as films by Oshima and Etaix, all of which I'd like to catch.

Lawrence, I think that Hide in Plain Sight is one of James Caan's best performances. No problems with his directing, either. I also like Robert Viharo as the small-time gangster who's having an affair with Caan's wife.

I've never seen Chungking Express and look forward to that.

giphy.gif

I don't want to give anything away for those who have never seen From Hell It Came but, a warning, the Tabanga is a very wooden performer.

• Like 3

I don't want to give anything away for those who have never seen From Hell It Came but, a warning, the Tabanga is a very wooden performer.

The film also has great performances by two ladies. Here's the fight scene. "You've stolen my man, now you must die."

The film also has great performances by two ladies. Here's the fight scene. "You've stolen my man, now you must die."

It's a truly epic encounter between two sarong clad beauties. Some poster, one of the more serious film types here since it will be a strictly scholarly study, of course, should create a thread called GREAT CAT FIGHTS OF THE MOVIES.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

June 10th--Two documentaries by Shirley Clarke--"Portrait of Jason" (1967) & "The Connection" (1961).

"The Connection" isn't a documentary (it's based on a stage play by Jack Gelber), but it's designed to look like one; an early example of "Mockumentary", so to speak.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"The Unforgiven" (1960) that was on June 13th has been scrapped and replaced with "The Opposite Sex" (1956).  :angry:

Wasnt Unforgiven being shown for SOTM? How is Audrey Hepburn in The Opposite Sex? Or was this being shown out of the SOTM slot?

Hibi--"The Unforgiven" (1960) was being shown the morning of June 13th at 6:00 a.m. E.S.T., after a night of Audrey Hepburn films;  I guess TCM decided it would be cheaper to show "The Opposite Sex", which is an MGM stinker.  Hecht-Hill-Lancaster made "The Unforgiven" (1960); I don't know who owns the rights now.  Presumably, it's not in the Turner library.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings