Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Author Robert John Waller (1939-2017)

jakeem

Author Robert John Waller, who wrote the best-selling 1992 novel "The Bridges of Madison County," died Thursday of cancer. He was 77.

The book -- about a fleeting romance in Iowa between a visiting National Geographic photographer and a married woman -- sold more than 50 million copies worldwide. The tale was translated to the screen as a vehicle for Clint Eastwood and Meryl Streep. Eastwood also directed the 1995 film version, which earned Streep a Best Actress nomination. At the time, it was her eighth Best Actress bid and her 10th overall.

The movie earned more than $182 million worldwide, according to boxofficemojo.com.

A short-lived musical version of the novel opened on Broadway in February 2014. Featuring a book by playwright Marsha Norman (" 'night, Mother") and music and lyrics by Jason Robert Brown ("Parade'), the production starred Steven Pasquale and Kelli O'Hara. It closed three months later.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/books/2017/03/10/bridges-of-madison-county-author-robert-james-waller-dies-at-77/99009448/

• Like 1

I never knew who wrote that book, and of course never read it( otherwise I would have known).

I did wind up liking the movie more than I thought I would, and now, I'll have to find a copy of the book to make comparisons.

Thanks for the info Jakeem, and REST IN PEACE, John.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings