Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The real issue is that Trump has no control over his own party.

Traditionally the President of the United States is the head of his own party.

When the same party controls both houses of Congress and the executive wing, but you still can't get anything done--

well that's simply because the party has no leadership.

There comes a time when each and every President of the United States, no matter who he or she is, has to accept the truth--The Harry Truman axiom--

"The Buck Stops Here".

Basically Trump is a political neophyte, and worse than that he has no diplomatic skills whatsoever.

When you go through your whole life born rich and you can have everything you want in life and push other people around--you simply don't know how to act diplomatically.

Lawrence O'Donnell is savaging Trump in the intelligent, devastating way that only he can.

I see you bought into this blame anyone but me Trump HS.  The GOP had a majority and they still failed.  They did not include democrats when they drafted this bill.

they couldn't! :angry:

the democrats wanted no part of repeaiibg and replacing of the ACA.

they utterly refused to participate.

so the democrats by their own choice locked themselves out.

this was decided long before trump took office....

if some of the blue dog democrats had any balls they'd approach trump whether that witch pelosi like it or not....

and trump oughta be receptive just to give it back to the freedom caucus.

• Like 1

they couldn't! :angry:

the democrats wanted no part of repeaiibg and replacing of the ACA.

they utterly refused to participate.

so the democrats by their own choice locked themselves out.

this was decided long before trump took office....

if some of the blue dog democrats had any balls they'd approach trump whether that witch pelosi like it or not....

and trump oughta be receptive just to give it back to the freedom caucus.

The first time in ages that the Republicans have total control -- President, Senate, House -- and Trump couldn't do what he said would be easy. Lawrence O'Donnell just said Republicans have been seriously embarrassed by Trump's ignorance in meetings and inability to focus and understand complicated issues. The gist seems to be that his presidency is over. No one will ever take him seriously again.

• Like 2

When the same party controls both houses of Congress and the executive wing, but you still can't get anything done--

There comes a time when each and every President of the United States, no matter who he or she is, has to accept the truth--The Harry Truman axiom--

"The Buck Stops Here".

Basically Trump is a political neophyte, and worse than that he has no diplomatic skills whatsoever.

When you go through your whole life born rich and you can have everything you want in life and push other people around--you simply don't know how to act diplomatically.

Do anyone want a bunch of "yes men"?  It had some issues that couldn't be resolved.  Maybe in the future, as the expression goes..no pain, no gain.

Let's see what happens in the future to the viability of the ACA.  Time will tell.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/sen-graham-just-let-obamacare-collapse

Do anyone want a bunch of "yes men"? It had some issues that couldn't be resolved. Maybe in the future, as the expression goes..no pain, no gain.

Let's see what happens in the future to the viability of the ACA. Time will tell.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/sen-graham-just-let-obamacare-collapse

Time has already told-- all these Town Hall meetings where Republicans are complaining about losing their health care. I just saw a coal miner on TV who was praying that he wasn't going to lose his Healthcare and that they would not repeal Obamacare.

24 million Americans would be adversely affected. As the coal miner said, It's a life-and-death situation for a lot of us.

BTW--Healthcare is something that those congressmen and senators don't have to worry about because we, the American taxpayers, pay for their health care. So maybe that's why they have so little empathy for the plight of others.

• Like 4

"The Buck Stops Here".

..and he is viewed by Republicans as an interloper in the party. He has no relationship with any of the Congressman. If Pence were President, HE could have pushed it through.

Lindsay Graham is calling on the GOP to work with Democrats to make improvements to Obamacare.  What a switch!  They can't work with their own party and now need the democrats.  So be it.

Lindsay Graham is calling on the GOP to work with Democrats to make improvements to Obamacare. What a switch! They can't work with their own party and now need the democrats. So be it.

It appears that the Republican party is the very definition of dysfunctional.

And Breitbart's Steve Bannon doesn't help with his attacks on the Republicans.

Trump can't have it both ways - - he either gets with the party and he dumps Bannon, the Mercers and all the other white nationalist followers.

Or he's in for a very isolated and lonely presidency, that'll make Jimmy Carter's time in office look good.

• Like 2

I actually remember someone where I worked CALLING his book that when it came out!  ;)

Sepiatone

A very perceptive early adapter. I also like The Art of the Shlemiel.

Back then I don't think most folks knew about some of Donny's outrageous

business practices. Now many more do.

"...The Hill reports that Bannon stood before the caucus and — presumably speaking for the president — told them they had “no choice”  but to vote for the American Health Care Act.

“Guys, look. This is not a discussion. This is not a debate. You have no choice but to vote for this bill,” Bannon reportedly told the assembled members

Axios states that one Freedom Caucus member replied: “You know, the last time someone ordered me to something, I was 18 years old. And it was my daddy. And I didn’t listen to him, either.”....

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/03/the-last-time-someone-ordered-me-to-something-i-was-18-and-it-was-my-daddy-conservative-smacks-down-bannon/

:lol:

• Like 1

"...The Hill reports that Bannon stood before the caucus and — presumably speaking for the president — told them they had “no choice”  but to vote for the American Health Care Act.

“Guys, look. This is not a discussion. This is not a debate. You have no choice but to vote for this bill,” Bannon reportedly told the assembled members

Axios states that one Freedom Caucus member replied: “You know, the last time someone ordered me to something, I was 18 years old. And it was my daddy. And I didn’t listen to him, either.”....

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/03/the-last-time-someone-ordered-me-to-something-i-was-18-and-it-was-my-daddy-conservative-smacks-down-bannon/

:lol:

With a charm boy like Bannon and Trump's "my way or the highway" approach to the conservative wing of the party I see a rough ride ahead for Trump unless he and Bannon change their bull in a china shop ways with that wing. They now know that members of their party, both right wing and moderate, are ready to call their bluff.

• Like 1

With a charm boy like Bannon and Trump's "my way or the highway" approach to the conservative wing of the party I see a rough ride ahead for Trump unless he and Bannon change their bull in a china shop ways with that wing. They now know that members of their party, both right wing and moderate, are ready to call their bluff.

The Freedom Caucus isn't willing to compromise or make any concessions.  Therefor it is useless for the Trump admin,  as well as Paul Ryan,  to try to work with them.    Both would have better success working with Moderate \ Red State Dems.

• Like 1

Couldn't Trump pass that using "executive powers" the way Obama passed Obamacare in the wee hours of the morning?  I remember we all woke up one day and it was passed...even though the Republicans wanted to review it for another 6 months.

The president cannot enact legislation by executive acts.  Don't know where this myth began.  

Both houses of Congress had to pass the ACA and then Pres. Obama signed it.  Not sure when, but "wee hours of morning" doesn't sound right as they made a big deal out of it.

The Republicans wanted no part of ACA, so they ignored Democratic requests to participate in the process of developing and writing the bills.  They did not want to review it, they were just trying to delay it.  They had more than ample opportunity to review it as  it did not go through both houses of Congress all that fast.

Incidentally, they have had 7 years to "review" and construct the legislation to repeal ACA - AND THEY FAILED.

The Freedom Caucus isn't willing to compromise or make any concessions.  Therefor it is useless for the Trump admin,  as well as Paul Ryan,  to try to work with them.    Both would have better success working with Moderate \ Red State Dems.

The House Freedom Caucus is pretty much opposed to anything that actually benefits people.  They are determined to enact legislation to restrict voting rights, women's rights, etc. while enacting huge tax cuts for the super wealthy and corporations.  They also want to free corporations, businesses, financial institutions and just about everything from any type of government regulation.

No regulation of businesses, but total regualtion of how people live their private lives.

You are correct, the way forward for Trump, Ryan, McConnell, et. al. is to work with the moderate Republicans and Democrats.  However, that would require that Trump dismiss about 80% of his staff, cabinet and unoffical advisors.

• Like 2

I think the biggest problem republicans had with the ACA to begin with was that THEY did't think of it first and therefore, didn't get any credit for it.

And that some idiots insisted in calling it "Obamacare" didn't help.  Asctually, calling it that is a TOTAL misnomer and innaccuracy.   But then again, when it comes to misnomer's and inaccurracies, it's hard to top conservatives.  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Couldn't Trump pass that using "executive powers" the way Obama passed Obamacare in the wee hours of the morning?  I remember we all woke up one day and it was passed...even though the Republicans wanted to review it for another 6 months.

He did sign and Executive order that weakens the enforcement of the mandate.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/politics-and-government/irs-no-longer-enforcing-obamacare-individual-mandate-report-says

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/02/15/obamacare-in-trouble-as-irs-will-no-longer-reject-tax-returns-not-answering-healthcare-questions/

Like to hear if anyone who has left the box blank and refund unaffected.  Some employers like mine will adjust Federal withholding so one will get little or no refund.  Little more money in pocket each month and no fear of losing any tax refund.

The IRS is limited on how the mandate is enforced.

My local House Rep., Neal Dunn, was plastered on the front page of the paper this morning, declaring that he was 100% behind Trump and ready to vote "YES" on the TrumpCare bill.

Dunn has only been in office since 2016, so I don't know anything about him. Our area used to be districted in logical ways, with blocks of neighboring counties forming each district. But then the gerrymandering started, and my new district is this ridiculous stretch of land going all the way to Panama City (Neal Dunn's home base) on the panhandle Gulf Coast, over 200 miles away.

My local House Rep., Neal Dunn, was plastered on the front page of the paper this morning, declaring that he was 100% behind Trump and ready to vote "YES" on the TrumpCare bill.

Dunn has only been in office since 2016, so I don't know anything about him. Our area used to be districted in logical ways, with blocks of neighboring counties forming each district. But then the gerrymandering started, and my new district is this ridiculous stretch of land going all the way to Panama City (Neal Dunn's home base) on the panhandle Gulf Coast, over 200 miles away.

Smerconish  had on the author of a book on the GOP gerrymandering yesterday and he said it only cost the party 30 million to ensure congress for 10 years.  He talked about Pennsylvania which went from a democratic majority to a clear republican one (almost two to one) with the same number of votes cast for each party before and after due to the gerrymandering.