Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Manolo Urquiza

Palmerin

Back in the 1960s and 1970s, Puerto Rico's TELEMUNDO station had a Friday evening's movie show hosted by Manolo Urquiza of Cuba, who provided a lot of comment about the movies he presented.

While he knew more about movies than the average person, he really was not an expert. He wasted too much time on SO AND SO AND WHAT'S HER FACE FELL MADLY IN LOVE WHILE FILMING THIS OTHERWISE UNREMARKABLE BUNCH OF NOTHING type frippery, and failed to make really deep comments, such as, say:

THE THREE MUSKETEERS has been a favorite of movie makers since the Silent Era, and every decade since then has had at least one version of the story. The version starring Gene Kelly, Lana Turner, and Vincent Price is one of the most notable.

Brando's reading of Stanley Kowalsky made such an impact, that ever since then all actors attempting that role have found themselves inadvertently making imitations of MB.

While GONE WITH THE WIND has been controversial for its depiction of black characters, it must be borne in mind that, unlike THE BIRTH OF A NATION and the SHOWBOAT of Ava Gardner, at least the black characters were portrayed by real blacks.

Still, the man was very likable and entertaining, and he did accomplish the achievement of making Puerto Ricans regard movies as more than a trivial way to waste a couple of empty hours.

Sure, we all have our likes and dislikes in regards to movie hosts, like my favorites from the past BILL KENNEDY  and RITA BELL up here in the Detroit area, but face it.  I only saw THEM whenever I tuned in to see some particular MOVIE.  NOT just to see them!

Sepiatone

Sure, we all have our likes and dislikes in regards to movie hosts, like my favorites from the past BILL KENNEDY  and RITA BELL up here in the Detroit area, but face it.  I only saw THEM whenever I tuned in to see some particular MOVIE.  NOT just to see them!

Sepiatone

Did they succeed in making you regard movies as more than a trivial way to waste a couple of empty hours?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings