Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What the Blue Blazes- The down fall of TCM

What the Blue blazes is going at TCM , A once tasteful up market cable channel as descended in to the gutter!

What do I speak of t?

The new Programming Policy which now spews out trashy movies from the 80s up to 2000.

The stations name a previous definition was Classic movies: Movies from the golden age of Hollywood.

Great movies featuring the likes of Betty Davis, Joan Crawford, Claude Rains, Clark Gable, Humphrey Bogart, and Lauren Bacall: And (that’s just off the top of my head).

You get my point the great black and white movies also the great Technicolor flicks.

Now we get pap from the eighties an 90s and such. The seventies arenot so bad there some great works of art during that time 2001 the god father trilogy Full metal Jacket. Apocalypse now.

However, I thought that TCM was a classic (30s – 60s) movie channel , giving us movies you could not see any where else on American TV.

Now there spewing out the same Crap that all the other channels do (cable and Network).

I for one will if not already stop watching the channel until it resumes its great programming of classic movies of (30s-60s) exclusively with may be the odd movie from the 70s.

I can not emphasize strongly enough my objection and repulsion of the current schedules. Pleasego back to the good old days TCM.

Well I am glad that its a mere aberration of TCMs part. However I do not remember Oscar months being like this in the past. if they were modern movies at this time in pervious years then it seems that that there a bucket load more of them this year. Still roll on April :)

Dash, take a quick look at this morning/afternoon's schedule....

Gold Diggers of 1935

Gold Diggers of 1937

Broadway Melody of 1936

Born to Dance

A Day at the Races

Then at 8pm ET it's the Best Picture Marathon starting with Ben-Hur and The Best Years of Our Lives

For the most part we're still watching mostly classic movies.

In a few weeks, TCM will also be premiering 6 lost RKO movies that have recently been "rediscovered" and will be shown publicly for the first time in decades (see "Hot Topics" for more on that).

Don't let the odd showing of a 90's movie fool ya.... ;)

I for one will if not already stop watching the channel until it resumes its great programming of classic movies of (30s-60s) exclusively with may be the odd movie from the 70s. >>

Mr Dash,

As a loyal viewer of TCM you surely realize that it is the 31 Days of Oscar salute that runs every year from February 1st until March 4th.

This programming highlights Oscar nominated and winning films from all decades. This salute has been part of TCM's yearly line-up for ten years that I know of .

Every year this message board is filled with threads just like yours decrying the selections and every year on March 5th, TCM returns to its regular programming of classic films from all decades.

Unfortunately, since you are no longer watching TCM in the upcoming weeks you will be missing the six recently recovered RKO classics that TCM scoured the globe for, numerous Columbia premieres and other gems.

As I said I don't remember this many of them in previous years and not such bad ones. I mean star ship troopers WT...

As for the RKO movies that truly was news to me and i shall look out for them

Also I realize that not all the movies on TCM now (this month) are modern movies (I mean Gold diggers of 1935 is on right now) but too many are it seems to me; although it could be a matter of perception. I,e the mind blanks out bad memories, but I remember Oscar month being full of Davis, Bogart, Doris day Crawford movies. still I am getting on in years and may be memory does not serve me as well.

As too my loyalties I am loyal to good movies not the channel directly: The channel indirectly because they usually show good movies.

I just had a thought: may be in previous years I just don’t watch TCM during this period for the reasons I stated. And have broken with tradition this year. -lol

For crying out loud, you're talking about movies that even in Oscar month are less than 10% of all movies shown.

You could tune in today and spend the next 15 hours watching TCM and you wouldn't see a single movie made after 1959.

So stop crying "the sky is falling" because it ain't. :P

lzcutter:

I've watched TCM since its' inception 10 years ago, but have only had a computer at my disposal since July of last year. My question however, is Was February always oscar month? I seem to remember the oscars being on later in the year until 911 caused a halt to the emmy's so things were re-scheduled, and I think oscar night was affected also. It seems to me that oscar month used to be around April or even May. Am I wrong on this? Perhaps, if I'm correct, maybe the change of month has thrown people off their strides.

Anne

Mr. Dash, welcome to the boards (I don't know if anyone did this, and I assume you're new?), and don't allow yourself to be "gaslighted" with this only-February stuff... Your perceptions are NOT off (you're not crazy); the horrid modern films are more numerous -- and more horrid -- than in previous years and, since I think I began warning about the sky falling back in 2006, it can't be a February-only phenomenonon... But the deniers will deny! Why they sound sooooo threatened and defensive is beyond me; if you disagree, just disagree.

Message was edited by:

otterhere

Well, I don't deny it or disagree, I just don't care. While I couldn't care less about seeing TOOTSIE, I think it's great that people, with standard cable, can see all types of films, commercial free, in their proper aspect ratios and uncut! It's not as if TCM has replace their classic films with newer one, they've simply been supplemented.

Otterhere:

This discussion goes back well before you. While this month has more than the usual newer movies TCM'S mission is still the same as it was in 1994. This has been what Oscar month was always about. I encourage you and others to look and April and May and see if that doesn't ease your mind a little. But, we'll agree to disagree.

Anne:

The Oscars used to be held sometime in March (as I recall) and TCM had their month then (which is where the 31 days part comes in.)

"The new Programming Policy which now spews out trashy movies from the 80s up to 2000."

Even AMC used to show modern CLASSIC films.

Look, I don't like certain musicals. When they show stuff I don;t like on TCM, I either shut it off or turn the sound down. On trhe orther hand, there have been several very good films made from 1970 to this year. "The Notorious Betty Page" should be shown on TCM next year, if they can get the rights.

What do ya want... COMMERCIALS?

CLASSIC movies are CLASSIC regardless of the time in which they were made.

There is a short shown on TCM chronicling 100 years of moovies from 1894 to 1994: The show a clip of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan in there, Why not? It's CLASSIC.

By definition, anythiung over 20 years old is VINTAGE, But a classic can be in any era.

Why they sound sooooo threatened and defensive is beyond me.

Well, maybe it is antagonistic headers like "What the Blue Blazes - The down fall of TCM".

Doesn't the header "What the Blue Blazes - The down fall of TCM", sound a lot lot these headers by other recent first day posters: "You call that a classic?", "TCM Sells Out - Pan & Scan - Quiller Memorandum", ?Will anything stop the destruction of Turner Classic Movies??

Otterhere, doesn't this almost sound like it is the same poster over and over? Never non-imflammatory headers such as "I have a question about recent films airing on TCM" or "Maybe I am mistaken but are more recent movies airing?".

It might just be that Mr. Dash may be used to boards where nobody from the networks reads what is there, but here the TCM programmer does, as do a few other TCM personnel. How would you like to work very hard at programming the great things we see on TCM and then read Mr. Dash's comment in a different thread, "Totally agree, they must of hired someone in scheduling that?s on crack!" This person posted that on his first day being registered.

CLASSIC movies are CLASSIC regardless of the time in which they were made.

Amen to that! I don't agree, at all, with the notion that a film has to be from some particular era. Lots of lousy films were made, since they started making them. A classic, to me, is a film of the highest quality, which is what the word classic means.

> "There is a short shown on TCM chronicling 100 years of moovies from 1894 to 1994: The show a clip of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan in there, Why not? It's CLASSIC "

Durn tootin' it is, weAponX; after all, it culminates with Spock's funeral, during which James Doohan (as Commander Scott) pipes his comrade (temporarily) into the hereafter wearing MY Clan Tartan!

How cool is that?!

filmlover, it really does sound like the samer person coming here over and over crying that the sky is falling, always under a different username...

the bottom line is, TCM remains the best there is, and there is no question that this is a niche that is worth catering to, if TCM stopped doing it, then probably someone else would step in, but TCM hasn't and I don't think that it will; it is part of the same corporate umbrella that WHV, and nobody has done more to get classic movies on DVD than WHV, thanks to the library that encompasses WB, classic MGM, and RKO.

As it is, TCM complements my movie watching instead of dominating it. I'd much rather watch stuff on DVD whenever possible because the picture quality is better than you can get over cable/satellite. Whenever stuff is not on DVD, then of course I'll watch it on TCM if and when they show it.

I also get to watch some good oldies on the Fox Movie Channel, where the ratio of old movies to new movies is much more heavily geared towards contemporary... but what the heck, I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.

" > Soooooo, Klondike:

Who was the Laird Doohan in relation to your ancestors?

Anne "

The actor James Doohan (may he rest in Peace!) could, as a second-generation Irish Canadian, conceivably have been a distant relation of mine; but the Tartan he wore for the final scenes of "Wrath of Khan" was actually Clan-correct for the character that he portaryed in the Star Trek mythos: Commander Montgomery Scott.

My maternal grandmother was named Lucretia Scott; she was "cleared" from her birthplace of Jedburgh, Scotland, in the late 1800's.

My question however, is Was February always oscar month?>>

The Oscars used to be the last Monday in March so TCM's 31 Days of Oscar used to be in March.

A few years ago, the Academy decided to move the Oscars to the last Sunday in February.

When that happened, TCM moved their Oscar salute to February!

Channeling Yogi Berra -

"It's Deja Vu all over again"

If one is really interested in a statistical breakdown of contemporary films on TCM recently versus four or ten years ago, read this thread from last month (January 2007). And there are lists of titles to compare and contrast also.

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=94162&start=90#7866723

Kyle In Hollywood

> What the Blue blazes is going at TCM , A once

> tasteful up market cable channel as descended in to

> the gutter!

> What do I speak of t?

> The new Programming Policy which now spews out

> trashy movies from the 80s up to 2000.

I agree. This has been the worst month so far.