Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Flight (2012): Terrific Film But I've Two Questions About It

TomJH

SPOILER ALERT FOR THOSE WHO HAVE YET TO SEE THIS FINE MOVIE:

1. Can a modern airliner be flown upside down?

2. Can snorting a few lines of cocaine snap a person suffering from a hangover back into being "functional" again? I assume that if this is true it would vary depending upon the individual.

Thanks for any info.

Aside from these questions, a very strong film, with a great performance by Denzel Washington.

I thought it was pretty good too.

I've read and heard conflicting opinions about being able to fly a jet airliner upside down.  So I'm not sure, not myself being an expert on the subject......

And in MY experience, cocaine does absolutely NOTHING as far as eradicating hangovers go.  In fact, in my experience, cocaine does absolutely NOTHING except increase the desire to do MORE cocaine!

At least pot, booze, speed and mescaline do something noticable in the area of mind alteration.  Cocaine does nothing to that extent.  The only other power that cocaine possesses is the ability to make bank accounts vanish.

Sepiatone

And in MY experience, cocaine does absolutely NOTHING as far as eradicating hangovers go.  In fact, in my experience, cocaine does absolutely NOTHING except increase the desire to do MORE cocaine!

That's my experience, as well, Sepia. That's why I added the bit about "vary with the individual" onto my question.

Thanks very much for the link, Jakeem. Much appreciated.

Now if someone could only answer the question about the coke as a "snap out of hangover" stimulator.

Like you said, it varies depending on the individual. Some people find that cocaine sharpened the mind, at least for a bit, and also imparts a strong sense of self-confidence. Additionally, if Washington's character was an addict, doing a bump would dispel the "fuzzy-headedness" that accompanies mild withdrawal.

Like you said, it varies depending on the individual. Some people find that cocaine sharpened the mind, at least for a bit, and also imparts a strong sense of self-confidence. Additionally, if Washington's character was an addict, doing a bump would dispel the "fuzzy-headedness" that accompanies mild withdrawal.

True. But in the film he uses the cocaine like a medication allowing him to function, in spite of a hangover that had him slobbering and barely coherent just a couple of minutes before. I'm not saying if that's realistic or not, because I honestly don't know. But I know I was surprised by it when I watched this otherwise fine film. That why I asked the question.

Just how realistic is that, I still have to wonder.

I've read and heard conflicting opinions about being able to fly a jet airliner upside down.  So I'm not sure, not myself being an expert on the subject......

At least pot, booze, speed and mescaline do something noticable in the area of mind alteration.  Cocaine does nothing to that extent.  

Bernoulli's principle says that airplane wings, when flown upright, are designed in a curved shape as to let the airflow cause lift pressure in the first place, but since wings are flatter on the bottom, it doesn't quite work the other way.

Jet fighters, OTOH, like Maverick showing off in "Top Gun", though, not sure.

And hangovers are technically the body's minor withdrawal-symptoms from the excess of alcohol, so an additional toxin, like the "Hair of the dog", might relieve the headache, but doesn't cure the intoxication problems.

The only other power that cocaine possesses is the ability to make bank accounts vanish.

And get you elected president. ;)  (ahem, whistles casually while ducking quickly out the door!)  

At least pot, booze, speed and mescaline do something noticable in the area of mind alteration.  Cocaine does nothing to that extent.  The only other power that cocaine possesses is the ability to make bank accounts vanish.

Sepiatone

Can large commercial planes fly upside down?

http://www.airlineratings.com/news.php?id=68

If he is at the controls, why sure, if Jerry can manage to get it airborne. :lol: 

Lewis.+Family+Jewels.+Pilot.png

MY favorite exchange about cocaine is still the bit in a Bill cosby routine where he asks someone, "Just what DOES cocaine DO for you?"  and the guy answers, "Well, it intensifies your personality."  And then Cosby asks, "Yeah, but, what if you're an A S S H O L E?"  :D

Sepiatone

MY favorite exchange about cocaine is still the bit in a Bill cosby routine where he asks someone, "Just what DOES cocaine DO for you?"  and the guy answers, "Well, it intensifies your personality."  And then Cosby asks, "Yeah, but, what if you're an A S S H O L E?"  :D

Any comic who's been through twelve-step feels its his duty to satirize the evils of alcohol and cocaine, and (can't remember, well-known 80's comic) did a hilarious post-recovery rant on the problems with cocaine:

"It will make you LIE...Because you can't stop yourself talking, you've run out of real things to say:  'Yeah, I'm going whaling now!  Got myself a whaling boat and everything, gonna spend a weekend trip out catching a few belugas...'"

[insert second Trump joke here]

I appreciate Lawrence's speculation on the subject, but no one has really yet been able to answer one of my two initial questions (perhaps we're a crowd that simply doesn't know).

Is Flight's premise that snorting a few lines of cocaine can clear a person's senses enough that, even though he's suffering from a major hangover, he will be able to function credible?

In the film he is on the floor passed out, having cracked his head, and a few minutes later, after snorting a few lines clearing his head, he's dressed and ready to meet a tribunal that will decide his future. Just how realistic is that?

You may have noticed( but it seems not) that my initial response was that based on MY experience, the answer would be...

"Not very."

Sepiatone

No, I wasn't certain of that from your answer, Sepia, but thanks very much for letting us know that your voice of experience doubts the movie's validity, in that respect.

However, since drugs will vary with individuals, I'm still wondering if the impact of snorting lines of coke may have a clearing impact upon some hungover individuals, as the movie states to be the case with its main protagonist.

No, I wasn't certain of that from your answer, Sepia, but thanks very much for letting us know that your voice of experience doubts the movie's validity, in that respect.

However, since drugs will vary with individuals, I'm still wondering if the impact of snorting lines of coke may have a clearing impact upon some hungover individuals, as the movie states to be the case with its main protagonist.

You seem really intent on a definitive answer here, Tom. Maybe you could go on a bender, wake up tomorrow and do a line or two, and see for yourself. You'd have your answer and a fun story to tell.

You seem really intent on a definitive answer here, Tom. Maybe you could go on a bender, wake up tomorrow and do a line or two, and see for yourself. You'd have your answer and a fun story to tell.

I was hoping for an answer without having to go that far.

I was hoping for an answer without having to go that far.

I can only offer second hand experience for both questions....

While coke seemed to rev people up like caffeine, it does not have the same properties as caffeine, which DOES minimize hangovers.

I think caffeine changes blood flow in the brain, helping to minimize headaches. So I can see where a writer would substitute cocaine for coffee for creative purposes in a story.

My brother has an aerobatic plane and often takes me out barrel rolling, looping and all that fun stuff. The plane is very small with short thin wings, a wholly different proportion than a commercial jet airliner. 

"Pitt Special" the traditional "stunt" planes, are even smaller, looking like a cartoon plane with proportions of a tricycle.

I doubt very much any commercial airliner has the ability to maneuver flying in any odd position other than gentle banking for a turn. It would take an awful long turn to go all the way over and maintain flight upside down.

In contrast, look at F-16 jets which have very short tapered wings and a long bullet shaped body. They reach the speed necessary to propel itself in any flight position.

I just don't believe a large, fat passenger airliner would be maneuverable flying upside down. But I bet it looks dramatic in a movie!

My brother has an aerobatic plane and often takes me out barrel rolling, looping and all that fun stuff.

I'm not a ride person, having come within a fraction of re-examining my breakfast upon the head of a friend who joined me in a ride at the CNE one summer. So I doubt very much that indulging in barrel rolling in an airplane would be as enchanting for me.

Take a look, though, at the clip of the plane inversion scene from Flight, provided by Jakeem. Now just watching that I find to be fun. It's a quite remarkable sequence. Denzel is one cool dude when under pressure, drugs in his system or not.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings