Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bad Grammar Error TCM!

kalnel

I love TCM, but I was appalled tonight when I heard the promo for "The Essentials." The announcer says, "...One of the movies that matter." It should be, "One of the movies that matters." (Please tell me I misheard...)

Sounds like they need to borrow a copy editor from the print side of Time-Warner for a while!

Bad grammar?! Puhleeeze!! Some people have too much time on their hands. I love TCM, and I wouldnt care who did the talking, or what they said, as long as I could still view these wonderful films and revel in the glory that was the Golden Age of Hollywood. Give me more Bette, and Cary, and Audrey, and Marlene, and Fred, among many others!!

Well, you all can make fun if you want, but you seem to forget that one of the things that makes the movies on TCM so good is that they were made when Hollywood had higher standards -- like being able to tell a story or use proper grammar.

TCM does so many things that promote this quality entertainment, you'd think they'd take the time to ensure that their own ads reflect this interest.

And, for the record, I get AMC, but I don't watch it too often. Always seems to be the same 20 movies, three times a day, with commercials.

Take it from an old copy editor -- it's perfectly acceptable. In this case, what you have is a clause ("the movies that matter") as the object of the preposition instead of a simple object. Beyond that, only grammar slammers would be interested in the details.

Then again, I could also paraphrase that old cigarette commercial: "What do you want -- good grammar or good movies?"

Archived