Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Character Actors

GordonCole

I want to congratulate Cavegirl for finally having Robert Osborne and TCM accede to her determination to have Character Actors be the Star of the Month on the channel. I'm sorry she is not here any longer to see this happen but I remember she was passionate about the fact that this group of performers often receive short shrift compared to the stars in appreciation from fans and larger entities. But as a true film fan she championed their cause here and even though some scoffed at the idea saying as I recall that the character actors are on every month anyway, TCM came through and finally has given them a whole month of recognition.

I am sure Cavegirl would be pleased and I thank her for recommending this idea way back when many thought it inadvisable. Her love for the smaller players who make films great, was inspiring and I know the month will be a great viewing for all fans of films also. Thanks, TCM and thanks to Mr. Osborne for his fine write-up in the new monthly guide about character actors.

• Like 4

One of the more recognizable (but unforgettable) character actors was none other than Clinton Sundberg. Apparently, I've seen more movies in which he's appeared than I thought, although his name always used to escape me. I remember he was in "In the Good Old Summertime" (1949) as one of the shopworkers, as well as "Easter Parade" (1948), "Annie Get Your Gun" (1950), and "The Barkleys of Broadway" (1949). 

13470_v3_ba.jpg

One of the more recognizable (but unforgettable) character actors was none other than Clinton Sundberg. Apparently, I've seen more movies in which he's appeared than I thought, although his name always used to escape me. I remember he was in "In the Good Old Summertime" (1949) as one of the shopworkers, as well as "Easter Parade" (1948), "Annie Get Your Gun" (1950), and "The Barkleys of Broadway" (1949). 

13470_v3_ba.jpg

He was also the reluctant smoker in MR. PEABODY AND THE MERMAID.

My vote, however, would definitely go for William Demarest

To Rip Murdock:

My dear boy, mayhaps I'm daft but as I read your post this morning [while I was ready for tiffin time yet still in my pyjamas] I noticed that you don't seem to be the same Rip who used to post here. I might be confusing you with someone else but I have more of a memory of your name here since I once knew your costar Agnes. This is why I did not answer your personal note to me not knowing if you were the same person as before. Your new and totally different spelling ability and tone here makes me wonder if you were previously hacked. If I am in error please accept my remonstrances of apology. As to your query about Cavegirl's Nazi favorites that may have occurred before I registered here so I am in the dark sadly.

Marvelous topic!    My personal all-time fav. character player is 3 time Academy Award winner:  Walter Brennan-(l894-l974)

strangely though his Oscar winning roles, except his superb Judge Roy Bean in 1940's "
The Westerner-(many complained about this role winning him his 3rd s. actor statuette, because they argued he was a co-starring role opposite Gary Cooper instead)

thing is his even superior work as Stumpy in Rio Bravo (l959) or Eddie in To Have and Have Not were ignored by his peers?

(P.S. The Great: Tracy considered himself more a character actor)

Ward Bond-(l903-l960) would be my 2nd & Hollywood took  Bond for granted for his performances  i.e. Gentlemen Jim (l942) & most of all The Searchers (l956)

& fellow Irish Barry Fitzgerald (l888-l96l) must rank up in there   & of course Frank Morgan-(l890-l949) too!     They jut don't have 'em like that  thesedays.   All they seem to truly worry about is sequels,  remakes & comics :wub:

• Like 1

Marvelous topic!    My personal all-time fav. character player is 3 time Academy Award winner:  Walter Brennan-(l894-l974)

strangely though his Oscar winning roles, except his superb Judge Roy Bean in 1940's "

The Westerner-(many complained about this role winning him his 3rd s. actor statuette, because they argued he was a co-starring role opposite Gary Cooper instead)

thing is his even superior work as Stumpy in Rio Bravo (l959) or Eddie in To Have and Have Not were ignored by his peers?

(P.S. The Great: Tracy considered himself more a character actor)

Ward Bond-(l903-l960) would be my 2nd & Hollywood took  Bond for granted for his performances  i.e. Gentlemen Jim (l942) & most of all The Searchers (l956)

& fellow Irish Barry Fitzgerald (l888-l96l) must rank up in there   & of course Frank Morgan-(l890-l949) too!     They jut don't have 'em like that  thesedays.   All they seem to truly worry about is sequels,  remakes & comics :wub:

Enjoyed all your choices and I wonder if you also like Barry's brother, Arthur Shields?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings