Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

One of the best things about TCM.....

I like TCM because of the classic films...but also because there are no commercials.

I used to think the Progressive commercial with Flo was the worst....now it's a tie between the Sling TV with that guy with the tattoos and that TruCar commercial with that nerdy guy who has tight pants that are too short and legs that are curved funny...and looks like he has no personality.   

It's a pleasure to watch TCM and avoid those awful, annoying commercials.

Personally, I think the dumber commercials are the ones that promote any bunch of "apps" that aim to make people feel like without their "app" and a smartphone to download them on are somehow "missing out" on something that's not really all that important.  Or trying to make us feel like we're LESS than good citizens because we lack the gullibility to waste good money on things we don't really need.

And how about those itelligence insulting CHARMIN ads with the cartoon bears?

Sepiatone

Personally, I think the dumber commercials are the ones that promote any bunch of "apps" that aim to make people feel like without their "app" and a smartphone to download them on are somehow "missing out" on something that's not really all that important.  Or trying to make us feel like we're LESS than good citizens because we lack the gullibility to waste good money on things we don't really need.

Sepiatone

Helpful apps are good. Those apps that try to solve a problem that doesn't exist or make something easier that's already easy to do are just a waste of time to me.

I like TCM because of the classic films...but also because there are no commercials.

I used to think the Progressive commercial with Flo was the worst....now it's a tie between the Sling TV with that guy with the tattoos and that TruCar commercial with that nerdy guy who has tight pants that are too short and legs that are curved funny...and looks like he has no personality.   

It's a pleasure to watch TCM and avoid those awful, annoying commercials.

I like those commercials. I like Flo. And since I detest cable and like Sling TV, I like those commercials also. Commercials keep shows I like on the air so I tolerate them.

I do like that there is a place I can watch classic films uninterrupted. But, most of all I like choice.

My fave thing about TCM is evident today. They are showing a multitude of horror films for everyone's taste. We have silent films, classic Universals, Hammer films, Val Lewton bizarro flicks - the works. And it's my day off so I'm enjoying it to pieces!!!

I would never, ever watch The Wolf Man on Svengoolie. No way. TCM has made my day today. I love TCM!!!

Helpful apps are good. Those apps that try to solve a problem that doesn't exist or make something easier that's already easy to do are just a waste of time to me.

I like those commercials. I like Flo. And since I detest cable and like Sling TV, I like those commercials also. Commercials keep shows I like on the air so I tolerate them.

I do like that there is a place I can watch classic films uninterrupted. But, most of all I like choice.

I don't own a smart phone, which is really just a very small portable computer inferior in design to a real computer in every single possible way, except it is also a phone and small and very convenient at times.  Many of the things that other people use them for, I already do (in other ways) and have done so for a long time.  Other things I can do without, such as 24/7 social networking and marketing my every little move through surveillance and data analytics.  I also have big problems with marketing companies like Google building the platform which my computer runs on and thereby not only tailoring my search results, but also tailoring my entire user experience.  If that device were my only Internet device, then they would have the capability to centralize and shape my view of the world, and I find that unacceptable.  The real power of the Internet has been Decentralization and Freedom Of Speech.  Google spook you out?  Try Duck Duck Go

As for Flo, it would seem the actress behind her has been typecast.  That much might not matter, as it seems she has found her calling making those insurance commercials.  She is young though and companies don't last forever.  Anyhow I have seen pictures of her without all that "Flo" makeup caked on, and I didn't recognize her.  So there is hope that she might be able to find work later on if and when the time comes.

Having diverged on all of that, yes I like TCM.  I presume its presence on Sling is similar to that of cable or satellite, as in a live stream that is always running.

• Like 2

Actually, Flo cracks me up.  And the actess that does her IS pretty good since there have been some commercils that had her playing multiple roles ala THE NUTTY PROFESSOR Eddie Murphy style.  Progressive Insurance though, I've learned the hard way I can do without.

And just look at the elaborately produced CGI Sci-Fi presentations they use just to advertise CHEWING GUM!

I've long been a commercial watcher, in the sense that every now and then you get some that are cleverly written, produced, acted and sometimes more entertaining than the programs they interrupt.  And then again of course, there ARE those that do more harm to the sales of some products than they help.  Or at least I make it a point NOT to buy whatever product because their commercials insult my intelligence.  Like the ones that exploitate children.   You know what I mean........

Like the ones advertising a dish soap, laundry detergent or household cleaner that place adorable looking little children in them as if to insinuate that you're NOT a good parent unless you use THEIR product to clean your home or clothes or dishes and making your children SAFE.   Or..."Buy OUR car because you care about your CHILDREN".   And crap like that.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

And how about those itelligence insulting CHARMIN ads with the cartoon bears?

You mean the one where Mama Bear brings the toilet paper on vacation because Papa Bear can't stand hotel toilet paper?

I guess we learn from that one that a bear does not, in fact **** in the woods.

• Like 1

I don't own a smart phone, which is really just a very small portable computer inferior in design to a real computer in every single possible way, except it is also a phone and small and very convenient at times.

Most of them also have a camera, which is useful. That's one fewer thing you have to carry around, and if you have an interest in photography you wouldn't have been using the sort of small camera smartphone cameras replace anyway. (You'd be spending all your money on lenses.)

It could be argued that all the between-film promotions for the Wine Club, the Backlot, the Bonham's Auction, the what's happening this month thing and the Shop TCM are all advertisements. Still, so far, at least, TCM doesn't show ads DURING movies, which I love. I hope that will continue ...

I think I have two apps downloaded on my phone that didn't come with it, the Yahoo Mail app, because Yahoo appeared to be trying to fight the generic Mail app that comes with the phone to the point of making my life miserable, and the Facebook Messenger app, because I have a friend, God love him, who will only contact me via Facebook Messenger. It's just how he rolls. And I used to get an alert on my email and could open a link directly to his message, but Facebook eliminated that access. So, if I ever wanted to see his messages on my  phone again, I had to get the app. Now he wants to start sending me stuff via Instagram as well, which he says is "even cooler" than Facebook Messenger. So, I will probably end up getting that app too.

I bristle at corporate apps when they have a perfectly good website. For example, if I want to access my Bank of America account on my phone I just go to the Bank of America website on Safari. Why do I want to install an app to do the exact same stuff. And yet all corporations now seem to hate and oppose you using their websites for business on your mobile device, they want you to do it all using their damn apps. I don't really understand that. Probably has something to do with the tracking and user experience tailoring MovieCollector OH was talking about.

And I like Flo! I like all dumb, humorous commercials that soft sell the product and focus mostly on the comedy. Not so interested in commercials that really try to earnestly sell me something.

I don't own a smart phone, which is really just a very small portable computer inferior in design to a real computer in every single possible way, except it is also a phone and small and very convenient at times.

For me, it's one of the local stations' weather app, a calculator, and a tsumego app. Not that the last one has helped my game very much. :(

I don't know how this got onto a discussion about smartphone apps.  One curious thing I've noticed is that the Watch TCM app is not nearly as good as my Dish Anywhere app when it comes to TCM.  The Watch TCM app tries to force me to watch the movie vertically as opposed to flipping and stretching the image if I were to hold my phone horizontally.  However, the On Demand feature on the Dish Anywhere app seems to feature all the movies TCM has aired in the past week or so! And, using your internet connection, you can stream the film and have the image stretched across the screen if you hold your device sideways.  I am not a fan of watching movies on a tiny screen.  I haven't watched a movie on my phone, but I have streamed TCM On Demand on my tablet when my husband and his brother were using both of our TVs to play a game.  It worked perfectly.

With that said, I like that TCM has made their content accessible through a variety of different means, not just the network.

When it comes to the network, what I love is that is has introduced me to so many great movies and performers.  I like that I can view the schedules in advance and record the films that interest me.  I also like the variety of films that are shown.  Musical lovers will be just as happy as those who can't get enough horror.  I also love that there are no commercials and that the films are not edited. I also appreciate that the channel seems to celebrate film, regardless of the era in which it was made.  Even if they have the wine club or cruises, film festival or store or what not, if these ventures keep TCM afloat and help them maintain a commercial free channel, then I'm all over it--they don't hurt anyone.  Heck, I'd join the wine club if it weren't so expensive.  If I want to watch a movie and drink wine, then I'll buy wine.  Tonight, I'm having a TCM and Margarita club selection. 

I look forward to learning more and gaining more exposure to films on TCM. 

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings