Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Would We Do Today?

Janet0312

Last night I asked my boss if it would be okay if I left a little early. Did she ask me if I'm sick? No. Did she ask me if there was an issue of some kind? No. She asked me "what's on". So I told her "King Kong". She said, "OK. Go ahead". What a woman.

While I was watching Kong I got to wondering how we would handle a situation like that in modern times. What we do with the lizard creature from 20,000 Million Miles to Earth or The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms? How would we deal with the pods in The Body Snatchers? How about Klaatu? Would we send in the armed forces to shoot and ask questions later? Would we really send in a guy with a flamethrower to push back the creature from 20,000 Million Miles? I think a lot of these monsters were poorly handled.

• Like 1

It's a question that's been asked ever since the industry put out cheezy and "camp" filled flicks.

Like, I sincerely doubt that now, and even THEN, when a spaceship landed in the middle of our nation's capitol that we'd merely surround it with a corrugated steel wall and have it guarded by only TWO soldiers.

And come to think of it, I doubt that our military OR the scientific community really even consider the possibility  of needing such plans of action.

MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY?  Well, it couldn't hold a CANDLE to the level of mutiny if the crew of a "tramp steamer" was ordered to "Tie up this big ape and let's haul it back to NEW YORK!"  :D

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Last night I asked my boss if it would be okay if I left a little early. Did she ask me if I'm sick? No. Did she ask me if there was an issue of some kind? No. She asked me "what's on". So I told her "King Kong". She said, "OK. Go ahead". What a woman.

While I was watching Kong I got to wondering how we would handle a situation like that in modern times. What we do with the lizard creature from 20,000 Million Miles to Earth or The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms? How would we deal with the pods in The Body Snatchers? How about Klaatu? Would we send in the armed forces to shoot and ask questions later? Would we really send in a guy with a flamethrower to push back the creature from 20,000 Million Miles? I think a lot of these monsters were poorly handled.

With regards to 'how we would handle a situation like that in modern times',   the answer is;  the creature would take a selfie and post it!

• Like 1

Well, in the imagined case of those giant ants in THEM! invading a present day L.A., I think the best course of action might be to just let them be.

Ya see, they'd soon get as frustrated with the traffic of the greater Los Angeles area as I did, and thus would move on to greener pastures like I did.

(...hopefully of course, they wouldn't then also find Sedona Arizona as a brighter alternative)

;)

Well, in the imagined case of those giant ants in THEM! invading a present day L.A., I think the best course of action might be to just let them be.

Ya see, they'd soon get as frustrated with the traffic of the greater Los Angeles area as I did, and thus would move on to greener pastures like I did.

(...hopefully of course, they wouldn't also find Sedona Arizona as a brighter alternative)

;)

No kidding! But think about it. If there was a giant ant knocking on your back door, what the hell would you do? And which is the worst? A giant ant or a giant preying mantis? Or a giant tarantula.

No kidding! But think about it. If there was a giant ant knocking on your back door, what the hell would you do? And which is the worst? A giant ant or a giant preying mantis? Or a giant tarantula.

Giant grasshoppers. They are, after all, the Beginning of the End.

• Like 1

MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY?  Well, it couldn't hold a CANDLE to the level of mutiny if the crew of a "tramp steamer" was ordered to "Tie up this big ape and let's haul it back to NEW YORK!"  :D

Oh, now you're making me think of the oil tanker (which were big things, during the Energy Crisis) from the '76 Dino DiLaurentiis film, STOP IT!!

In fact, this whole thread is making me think of the Warner's new would-be '14-Godzilla franchise--I prescribe the OP to go out and watch the new Kong movie as aversion therapy to any thoughts of how "cool" it would be to see a modern monster movie.

Come on, you guys. Be somewhat serious. What would happen if one of these atomic creatures came about today. For me, I would run down into the storm cellar and hold out until it was clear.

Well I live on the west coast and most places don't have basements \ storm cellars like areas with colder weather or that experience tornados,  so I would be stuck hiding in a closet.    I.e. I would end up as food!

(...hopefully of course, they wouldn't then also find Sedona Arizona as a brighter alternative)

;)

As I recall the movie, the discovery of their EXISTENCE was made in a desert, so I'm thinking you're not much better off there either.  ;)

Of course, I'm STILL trying to reconcile "greener pastures" and Sedona used in the same reply!  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

As I recall the movie, the discovery of their EXISTENCE was made in a desert, so I'm thinking you're not much better off there either.  ;)

Of course, I'm STILL trying to reconcile "greener pastures" and Sedona used in the same reply!  ;)

Sepiatone

Aah, but the first thing a newbie to Sedona usually remarks about this place is how much greener it is here than what they had expected, Sepia. Sedona sits within the higher elevation of northern Arizona's Coconino National Forest you see, and thus is a hell of lot greener than it is down in that low desert dusty urban sprawl of Phoenix.

See?!...

exterior-view-poco-diablo.jpg

(...don't worry...you're not the only person who doesn't know this...your's is a very common misconception about the entirety of The Grand Canyon State)

I wouldn't count on much help from the federal government. Too many politicians would deny science.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings