Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TomJH

Your Favourite Wacky Performances

I was just musing about one of my favourite comedy performances, Walter Brennan as a crazy, flipped out pirate in The Princess and the Pirate who periodically has a high pitched burst of laughter.

"Oh, go ahead and lay that egg, will ya?" Bob Hope says after one high pitched cackle.

This is Brennan cast completely against type, delightfully so, in my opinion, as an eccentric pirate, not the genre, even though the film is a spoof, in which you expect to find him.

One of my favourite dialogue exchanges in the film is between Hope and Brennan.

Brennan: "You'll like my brother. He's twice as smart as me."

Hope: "Oh, a half wit, eh?"

princess%2B2.jpg

Anyone else with a favourite performance of a truly bizarre, wacky character? It can be dramatic or comedic, from any genre of film.

• Like 2

Dang.  I'd hardly know where to begin there's been so many.  Hard to narrow down.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I guess not too many posters here have seen wacky characters in the movies. Well I have.

Here's another favourite, even though he's of the animated variety:

d4b258e908db9dffc67c699836049db3.jpg

Daffy Duck, the lovable "loser" of countless Looney Tunes shorts. Daffy was a craven coward and slobbered a lot when he talked and (when co-starred with Bugs Bunny) was more than willing to back stab. But, since he usually seemed to wind up on the loser ends of things, you loved the broad billed schnook anyway.

Some of his earlier shorts are really wacky features, though, such as . . .

plane-daffy-c2a9-warner-brothers.jpg

Plane Daffy, a spy spoof of the war years

In the '50s, though, he graduated to film genre spoofs, such as . . .

the-scarlet-pumpernickel-c2a9-warner-bro

The Scarlet Pumpernickel

Here he, the hapless loser once again, telling Bugs what he thinks of him with his most famous tag line . . .

maxresdefault.jpg

"You-rrrrre desthpicable!"

• Like 2

Heh.

My wife and I each have a little rubber type figurine of our favorite Warner Brothers cartoon character on our respective keychains.

I have MICHIGAN J. FROG, and she has DAFFY DUCK!

She just LOVES him!

PS:  While on WB------I still call our grandniece Ashley TWEETY BIRD( and got HER a keychain charm of the little bird) due to when she was about two or so, she reminded me of Tweety....

BIG round blue eyes, little pouty looking lips and round cheeks.  And all topped off with canary yellow hair!

She'll be 30 this July, and she's STILL adorable( and SHE'S the one who got all the other grandnieces and nephews and even most the GROWN-ups in the family to calling my wife "La-La")

Sepiatone(still working on that "wacky" character)

I wouldn't say "Bizarre", but Kevin Kline redefines "Wacky" with every comic performance--

On the subject of eccentric pirates:

Well, certainly Kevin Kline's Oscar win as Oscar in A Fish Called Wanda fully qualifies as wacky (certainly eccentric), in my opinion. Kline was quite wonderful in that very funny film.

And, of course, that same film also had the bizarre Michael Palin.

fishcalledwanda1_3243561b.jpg

Well, I've always thought this Dapper Dan man here is pretty wacky in that one Coen Bros' movie...

georgefart6.gif

(...and yep Tom...as soon as Eric mentioned Kevin Kline, I too immediately thought of his Oscar winning role as the wacky Otto in that film about a fish) 

• Like 1

And re the wacky cartoon characters...

In this short clip, poor Porky here seems to be getting the worst of it from this particular denizen of a place named for this state of being...Wackyland...

Not the only, but this was one of the first.  Maybe someone knows.  Maybe I am thinking of more than one movie here, maybe not.  The Marx Bros are in a some sort of hotel room having maid service and eating at a table, and Groucho has weird long shoes on.  He keeps running back and forth in the room with these weird shoes.  Just one of the first, but many zany characters for me.  I am one for strange character actors though, so it doesn't take much to win me over.

Eric Blore is one of my favorite character actors. He's perfect in whatever role he plays: exasperated, comic, dramatic, whatever. But the one role of his that is truly wacky and that I would call one of my favorite wacky performances, is his role as "The Bookkeeper" in Shanghai Gesture.

YooniqImages_102378174.jpg

• Like 1

Not the only, but this was one of the first.  Maybe someone knows.  Maybe I am thinking of more than one movie here, maybe not.  The Marx Bros are in a some sort of hotel room having maid service and eating at a table, and Groucho has weird long shoes on.  He keeps running back and forth in the room with these weird shoes.  Just one of the first, but many zany characters for me.  I am one for strange character actors though, so it doesn't take much to win me over.

I'm not certain if it's the scene you're thinking of, but it may be from Room Service

rooms.jpg

One of them is the portrayal of Rupert Pupkin. One of my faves whether wacky or not. De Niro was born to play Rupert. He (De Niro) is not a wacky fellow but he slipped into this role like a glove. Effortless and wonderful.

Edited by laffite

I'm not certain if it's the scene you're thinking of, but it may be from Room Service

rooms.jpg

Thanks, yeah that looks familiar.  Now I'll have to watch it.  Still not sure on where the scene with Groucho wearing really long shoes came from.  It may have been Room Service, or it may have been something else I saw.

RICHARD MULLIGAN in "S.O.B." as mentally pummeled film director Felix Farmer.  I don't know how he kept a straight face delivering all those lines after he came to his senses and decided to "sex up" his family-friendly musical bomb by getting Mary Poppins to show breastus material.  Mulligan goes wild once he gets the notion to re-shoot. 

RICHARD BENJAMIN as attorney Stuart Selsome in "SCAVENGER HUNT" cracks me up.  In one scene he tries to steal a foxtail from the back of a motorcycle in front of the 'Chez Death' bar before getting hauled in by the bikers and having his powder-blue suit shredded to bits. 

Rock singer MEAT LOAF plays biker leader 'Scum' whom Benjamin tries to talk out of thrashing him. 

"Scum, I was born to raise Hell!" 

"Ever since the 6th grade, huh?"

"Even before that, Scummy!"

"Beat him to death!"

"LET'S TALK ABOUT IT!!"  :D

Like to mention a mostly forgot about cartoon "Wacky Races" "Dastardly and Muttley"

maxresdefault.jpg

Stop the pigeon, stop the pigeon...

dastardlyandmuttley3.jpg

tumblr_inline_nsyfjgGc6N1tw1wp2_500.png

• Like 1

Spaceballs (1987)-I will watch anything Mel Brooks directs but my favorite is Spaceballs.  Rick Moranis is hilarious as the villain Dark Helmet.  

8534dbb2260432987e43e79ffe1ad8f6.jpg

ludicrous-speed-spaceballs-demotivationa

RICHARD MULLIGAN in "S.O.B." as mentally pummeled film director Felix Farmer.  I don't know how he kept a straight face delivering all those lines after he came to his senses and decided to "sex up" his family-friendly musical bomb by getting Mary Poppins to show breastus material.  Mulligan goes wild once he gets the notion to re-shoot. 

Yes, but Robert Preston made his comeback in that one by stealing all the good lines as the wacky doctor.

Inspiring Blake Edwards to use him next in "Victor/Victoria", and the rest is history.   :)

Spaceballs (1987)-I will watch anything Mel Brooks directs but my favorite is Spaceballs.  Rick Moranis is hilarious as the villain Dark Helmet.  

8534dbb2260432987e43e79ffe1ad8f6.jpg

Don't forget White Helmets. :lol:

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

And I recall Mulligan playing the ill-fated General George Armstrong Custer as more than a little wacky in LITTLE BIG MAN, too.

Okay, and now how about Dick Shawn (although I can fully understand if you find your eyes wandering to Barrie Chase in this photo) in IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD...

7d84fba842458ec701f2069b58e597b0.jpg

...OR, in his role as that wacky actor here who ends up making a particular Broadway show a hit to the chagrin of its producers who had hoped for a flop...

030818_theproducers04.jpg

• Like 1

64f9a656121d8b55e5fd6ff777d8dfd9.jpg

"You think Mel Brooks is wacky? Well, come with me, baby, and I'll give you wacky!"

• Like 1

Margaret Rutherford as the medium Madame Arcati in Blithe Spirit (1945) is probably my favourite.

margaret-rutherford-blithe-spirit-1945-b

• Like 1