Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spence

Who has an all-time favourite score & composer???

Most anything by Henry Mancini.  Also some Alex North, Graeme Revell, Miklos Rozsa, Philip Glass, James Horner, Alan Silvestri, John Barry, Basil Poledouris, occasional John Williams.

I think Alex North's best score is for the TV mini-series, RICH MAN POOR MAN

Agree on John Barry(!) and Henry Mancini.

Love Mancini's "Experiment in Terror" especially. I've never seen the actual film by that name though.

Anyone here from Chicago? This will bring back memories:

If tv is fair game, I have to add

Lalo Schifrin, Mission Impossible theme

I don't think anyone has ever topped this

Morton Stevens, Police Woman theme & Hawaii 5-0 theme

very prosaic in terms of music theory but I still love them

some newcomers:

Jeff Beal, House of Cards theme

Ramin Djawadi, Games of Thrones theme

That credits sequence looks like it's right out of a James Bond film.

Never heard of this film. Is it worth seeing?

It's a love story.  A good one.  I love Julie, so anything with her is worth seeing, to me.  I think it's Sharif's best performance.

My favorite TV theme was James Newton Howard's composition for "e.r." It opened episodes of the NBC drama series from 1994 to 2006. Then it was brought back for the final episode that aired April 2, 2009.

My favorite score for a Western is Jerome Moross's The Big Country a wonderful score.

Another one with a long line of music score credits, Michel Legrand.

legrand-michel-port.jpg?itok=Nl2-RdBu

I really like his film score of the 1970 version of "Wuthering Heights" with Timothy Dalton. Also, the film scores of Max Steiner are outstanding.

Erich Korngold's score for The Adventures of Robin Hood.  I just  happened to be listening to it today as I took a walkon a dreary day.   I could visualize every scene as I listened to .  A magnificent and rich work that could stand on its own as "program music."  Each character and piece of action has its own theme.  During the love scene, I could tell Korngold had experience writing opera, as the melodies are pitched closely to the timbre and rhythm of the actor's voices and the dialogue.   t's one movie that I can't imagine without its score. 

• Like 1

Erich Korngold's score for The Adventures of Robin Hood.  I just  happened to be listening to it today as I took a walkon a dreary day.   I could visualize every scene as I listened to .  A magnificent and rich work that could stand on its own as "program music."  Each character and piece of action has its own theme.  During the love scene, I could tell Korngold had experience writing opera, as the melodies are pitched closely to the timbre and rhythm of the actor's voices and the dialogue.   t's one movie that I can't imagine without its score. 

Nice pick, Rosebette.

And another Flynn movie with a terrific score, originally set to be be composed by Korngold but who would retire before the picture was in production and thus replaced by the great Max Steiner, can be found in ADVENTURES OF DON JUAN.

Most anything by Henry Mancini.  Also some Alex North, Graeme Revell, Miklos Rozsa, Philip Glass, James Horner, Alan Silvestri, John Barry, Basil Poledouris, occasional John Williams.

Alex North  One of his best! :)

Gone with the Wind - Max Steiner

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir - Bernard Hermann

A Patch of Blue - Jerry Goldsmith

Breakfast at Tiffany's - Henry Mancini

Contempt (Theme De Camille) - Georges Delerue

I think Alex North's best score is for the TV mini-series, RICH MAN POOR MAN

Not familiar with that one.  But I like most of what I have heard from Alex North, so I need a listen.

Henry Mancini sets the standard for me.  Probably because I like Jazz, and there were some killer jazz tracks around back then.  Not counting soundtracks and musical cast CD's, there's not really a Mancini type composer /arranger lately, though there are a few obscure jazz arrangers that score reissued films.

Henry Mancini:  Touch Of Evil

Henry Mancini:  It Had Better Be Tonight

• Like 1

No way for a favorite film. Favorite composer, old Maxie. But the first time I was aware of and remembered music in a movie was Frank Skinner's ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN.  I started humming those motifs when I was about 5 years old.

• Like 1

One favorite score/composer?  Best I can do is narrow the field to three composers and scores:

Miklos Rosza favorites:

"Song of Scheherazade" (1947)--Rozsa adapted and conducted the Rimsky-Korsakov music featured in this marvelous piece of silliness.

"Spellbound" (1945)--Excellent score.

"Diane" (1956)--Lovely score is better than the movie.

Elmer Bernstein favorites:

"Kings of the Sun" (1963)--Offbeat score.

"The Hallelujah Trail" (1965)--Film was supposed to be a spoof of all the Western epics of the early and mid 60's (1963's "How The West Was Won", 1960's "Cimarron", etc.) and the score is the most successful part of the film.  Music manages to joking in tone while spoken jokes and sight gags don't work.  Movie is worth watching to see how an effective score can rescue a film.

"The Ten Commandments" (1956)--Wonderful score by Bernstein.

Bernard Herrmann favorites:  

"Garden of Evil" (1954)--OK Western has a fine score.

"North by Northwest" (1959)--A favorite of mine.  

"Marnie" (1964)--Flawed film, to say the least, but a very good score by Herrmann:

• Like 1

Thanx for all that chimed-in again! My personal all-time favorite motion picture composers though are:

Max Steiner-(l888-l97l)

John Williams

Ennio Morricone

Bernhard Herrman & only because he holds that Oscar record A. Newman

& scores:

One Upon a Time in the West" & "America"

Modern Times (due to Chaplin intruducing "Smile")

East of Eden

Jaws

0n the waterfront

GFI & GFII

0ut of Africa

Somewhere In Time

& "The Quiet Man

Here's the Michele Legrand theme from the 1970 version of "Wuthering Heights". Theme music starts at about 2:15. 

Here's the Michele Legrand theme from the 1970 version of "Wuthering Heights". Theme music starts at about 2:15. 

And more. 

There are too many! Bernard Hermann's The Ghost and Mrs. Muir and Miklos Rozsa's The Four Feathers are two that immediately come to mind, though.

NORTH BY NORTHWEST is my favorite Herrmann, followed closely by THE 7TH VOYAGE OF SINBAD and JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS. 

• Like 1

I may be the only one who liked the electronic/synth scores from the late 70's-early 80's, like those from John Carpenter (Halloween, Escape from New York), Giorgio Moroder (Midnight Express, Cat People), Vangelis (Blade Runner, Chariots of Fire), Tangerine Dream (Thief, The Keep), Goblin (Suspiria, Dawn of the Dead), Harold Faltermeyer (Beverly Hills Cop, Fletch).

Well, if we're gonna bring up electronics  and in some cases TV  themes, I'll do this-------

Not composed for the movie, but "borrowed"  by Francis Coppola are several electronic "images" from  the catalog of BEAVER & KRAUSE for "Apocalypse Now".

And the short but sweet opening for the PATRICIA  ARQUETTE  series MEDIUM.

Sepiatone

If we're talking TV themes, I guess my vote would go to Jerry Goldsmith's theme to THE WALTONS, but I love a lot of TV themes.

I suppose I have favorite Main Titles, overall scores and individual cues (pieces of the score).  In some cases, a score could have all three, but in many, my choices would vary.  For example, I think my absolute favorite cue from any score, ever, is "Going the Distance" from ROCKY.  However, while I'm very fond of the overall score to ROCKY, and find it very effective in the film, it wouldn't make my top 10 score list or Main Title list.

• Like 1