Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A poll: who would you all most want at the new TCM Host now?

spence

Many may not answer this, but I read a ton of complaining-(& on other related sites) about the hole that our fav Mr. Robert 0sborne left in his place. I knew about a yr or more, they were grooming Ben Makiewicz for the job.

Please cast your votes on who should fill-in-(I know it's not Ms. Vasquez)

Among my vote-(but she's busy filming her current tv series) is Winona Ryder, she not only filled in a week when he was ill, but was a "GP' as well

& via the grapevine, I heard it just may be 91yr old Don Rickles & or, believe it or not Mike Tyson & even, yuk Rex Reed?

THANK YOU

Many may not answer this, but I read a ton of complaining-(& on other related sites) about the hole that our fav Mr. Robert 0sborne left in his place. I knew about a yr or more, they were grooming Ben Makiewicz for the job.

Please cast your votes on who should fill-in-(I know it's not Ms. Vasquez)

Among my vote-(but she's busy filming her current tv series) is Winona Ryder, she not only filled in a week when he was ill, but was a "GP' as well

& via the grapevine, I heard it just may be 91yr old Don Rickles & or, believe it or not Mike Tyson & even, yuk Rex Reed?

THANK YOU

Mike Tyson? You must be referring to a different Mike Tyson.

Mike Tyson? You must be referring to a different Mike Tyson.

I think I speak on behalf of everyone when I say that any film involving ear biting should be introduced by Tyson.

I think I speak on behalf of everyone when I say that any film involving ear biting should be introduced by Tyson.

LIfe is full of surprises. For all I know, Mike Tyson may be a huge classic film fan, with his favorite film being ALL THIS AND HEAVEN TOO.

I like Ben, too, for most of the schedule and I like Eddie Muller for film noir.  Tiffany is fine for Saturdays.  I also like Dave Karger and the Chicago Tribune critic (I can't recall his name) and would enjoy seeing them doing some of the intros.

I'm probably in the minority but I like Alec Baldwin; at least he appreciates and knows classic films.  A lot of actors today know nothing about them and having a famous "name" doing the intros isn't going to impress me; I want somebody who appreciates film history.

So, I vote for Ben as lead host with the above-mentioned people handling some of the other time slots/themes, etc.

(Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could get the time machine working and get James Agee  introducing movies?  Now that could be fun  Of course if the time machine was working we could bring back RO.)

An UNTOLD number of people have guest-hosted on TCM over the years, and sadly I (and maybe you all too) have not found one remotely close to being qualified to be the next *face* of the TCM station.  Ben Mankiewicz is the logical choice because he has been here the longest, but he is not reverential enough.  This station is about respecting classic films, and the host needs to be someone who demands respect.  I'm not sure an ideal host for TCM even exists anymore.  He or she preferably needs to have experienced the classic film periods first hand, a great journalist, a great interviewer, and be able to emcee the numerous TCM events (festivals, cruises, TV specials, etc.).  What made TCM an institution and a valuable "brand" instead of just an old movie station?  It was Osborne, of course.  I think some of you are way too mellow about this.  This COULD be the end of an era.  Without Osborne, TCM might be ruined by whoever taking Osborne's charge and running to the ground, just like what happened to AMC.  Osborne's passing may lead to TCM's downfall, viewers canceling cable TV, and worst of all, disregard of classic films by the public.  I don't know if some of you realize what a consequential moment his passing was.  

DVDPhreak,  I think we are concerned about TCM and feel RO's passing is very consequential but let's please hold off on the dire predictions and see what happens.  TCM is not AMC.  I'm hoping the TCM head honchos realize they have a good thing here with a passionate fan base and they don't want to ruin it.  Younger people are discovering classic movies so it's not like the entire viewership is going to die off anytime soon.  There has to be a place in the TV universe for TCM.  I remain cautiously optimistic until shown otherwise.

(Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could get the time machine working and get James Agee  introducing movies?  Now that could be fun  Of course if the time machine was working we could bring back RO.)

If I could get into a time machine I would be bringing back the stars to introduce films.

Mae West would be introducing My Little Chickadee and telling us why she found Bill Fields to be such a pain (or the other way around, have Fields here dishing us on Mae)..

Margaret Dumont would be introducing Duck Soup and A Night at the Opera, letting us know what it was like to work with the brothers and whether or not she got the jokes.

Olivia de Havilland would introduce Gone With the Wind and The Adventures of Robin Hood, providing us with insights into both productions, and what she really thought of Errol Flynn. (Okay, Olivia's still with us, but, well, we know this ain't gonna happen).

Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall would co-host one night, with a double bill presentation of To Have and Have Not and The Big Sleep. Special guest this night would be Raymond Chandler, taking a crack at explaining the Big Sleep plot.

Well, I could go on. You get the idea. To tell you the truth, this kind of speculation is more fun to me than whether or not it's gonna be Ben or somebody else as host.

Is Eddie Muller the gentleman who has been introducing the Sunday morning film noirs? Tho I'm bad with names,  I have been very impressed by his knowledge of and passion for the movies he introduces.   I'd like to see him in an expanded role...  in fact more so than expanding Ben's role who is too irreverent for my tastes.  Also the bit of info Ben does provides can usually be found right on IMDB.   He just won't do as "primary" host.  I like him on a Sat afternoon but would not appreciate him as primary host.

I can see Alec Baldwin sitting down with a critic -maybe Maitlin -for in depth discussion on Saturday evenings including the Essentials.  Both of the seem passionate & knowledgeable about the classic movies.

Question:  though there will never be another RO, are there people out there similar to him - thoroughly knowledgeable and conversant about classic movies? 

I think Ben M. has grown into the lead host role and is doing a great job.  While he started out sometimes being a bit too sarcastic about some of the movies he introduced, he's now very good about showing respect for what a movie has to offer, even if it's not a masterpiece.  That's what Bob did, albeit with a different style.

The other current hosts are fine in their slots -- Eddie Muller is obviously tailor-made for the weekly noir program, and Tiffany Vasquez seems to be doing well as the weekend host, getting more confident as time goes on.  (I haven't seen much of Dave Karger, although I've liked him the one or two times I caught him.)

There are also a couple of writers who might be good hosts.

Gary Giddins, who's known primarily as a jazz writer and biographer of Bing Crosby and Louis Armstrong, has also written an excellent book of essays on classic film called, Warning Shadows: Home Alone with Classic Cinema (2010).  You may remember him as one of the main speakers in Ken Burns' Jazz series, where Gary showed himself to be genial, articulate, and knowledgeable, which were RO's strong traits as well.  I'm not saying that Gary would be just like Bob, but he's shown that he's very good on TV, and his Warning Shadows volume shows that he knows a lot about classic film.  As far as I know, he doesn't have direct connections to the world of classic film like Bob did, but I imagine it'll be hard to find someone like that just because of the passage of time.

The other writer I'd suggest as a possible host is Dave Kehr.  He's currently a curator in the Museum of Modern Art's film department, but I got to know his writing during his 14 years of weekly columns on classic film for the NY Times.  The premise of his column was reviewing new DVD releases, but he used that opportunity to write mostly about classic films then being released on disc.  I tried never to miss one of his columns, which repeatedly demonstrated that Dave knows a great deal about the kinds of movies shown on TCM.  I've never seen him on TV, however, so I don't know how he'd do in that format.  But he's definitely knowledgeable enough to write some very interesting intros for TCM.

5829-ozzy-osbourne.jpg

You're searching for a host, don't know where to start
Should you trust your gut or go with your heart
You think you know but you are never quite sure
For hostophilia, Oz might be the cure. Yeah.

Is Eddie Muller the gentleman who has been introducing the Sunday morning film noirs? Tho I'm bad with names,  I have been very impressed by his knowledge of and passion for the movies he introduces.   I'd like to see him in an expanded role...  in fact more so than expanding Ben's role who is too irreverent for my tastes.  Also the bit of info Ben does provides can usually be found right on IMDB.   He just won't do as "primary" host.  I like him on a Sat afternoon but would not appreciate him as primary host.

I can see Alec Baldwin sitting down with a critic -maybe Maitlin -for in depth discussion on Saturday evenings including the Essentials.  Both of the seem passionate & knowledgeable about the classic movies.

Question:  though there will never be another RO, are there people out there similar to him - thoroughly knowledgeable and conversant about classic movies? 

Yes, Eddie Muller is the film noir guy.  He's written books on it, participated in film festivals and has hosted other noir programming on TCM.  I'm sure he knows a lot about other genres but noir is his specialty.

Your idea about Baldwin and Maitlin on the Essentials might be interesting although I know some people think the Essentials is played out.

In answer to your question about knowledgeable and conversant people, isn't that what these boards are for? 

:)  

No hosts. Just show the movie. Use the money saved to lease more movies from the Paramount, Universal and Fox vaults. 

That wouldn't save money, but LOSE money and viewers for TCM instead.  TCM's success is not due to "just showing the movies."  It is in large part due to all of its extracurricular stuff, from featurettes like TCM Word of Mouth, TCM Fanatics, TCM Original Productions, etc., to bus tours, wine club, cruises, right down to those brief but fetchingly designed intro sequences (called

).  If TCM showed just the movies as you said, it wouldn't be the phenomenon that it is.  Those things are *content* for the network too.  More importantly, they show how much TCM cares.  To put it crassly, you can't just show the movies; you have to SELL the network and engage the viewers.  Sadly, there are exactly people in Hollywood who think like you do, and that was how AMC was ruined.

That wouldn't save money, but LOSE money and viewers for TCM instead.  TCM's success is not due to "just showing the movies."  It is in large part due to all of its extracurricular stuff, from featurettes like TCM Word of Mouth, TCM Fanatics, TCM Original Productions, etc., to bus tours, wine club, cruises, right down to those brief but fetchingly designed intro sequences (called

).  If TCM showed just the movies as you said, it wouldn't be the phenomenon that it is.  Those things are *content* for the network too.  More importantly, they show how much TCM cares.  To put it crassly, you can't just show the movies; you have to SELL the network and engage the viewers.  Sadly, there are exactly people in Hollywood who think like you do, and that was how AMC was ruined.

I'm interested in both classic films and film history. Your suggestion would whitewash film history.

I'm interested in both classic films and film history. Your suggestion would whitewash film history.

"My suggestion" is exactly what TCM has been doing during the Osborne era, and if it hasn't whitewashed film history, it won't.  Every product needs "packaging."  Promoting the art and history of film is nice, but you also need to engage in commercial activities to make a buck so TCM can stay on the air.  Just merchandising alone, TCM has done endless work, from monthly magazines, movie catalogs, movie discs, T-shirts, coffee mugs, even jewelry and other collectibles.  The movie business is and has always been about art PLUS commerce, and I'm surprised some of you don't realize it.

Besides journalist, film historian, interviewer, host, etc., Osborne might have been a good *businessman* as well.  TCM can't just show the movies, folks.  TCM has to create its own content and services and SELL them, and be financially successful in doing so as well (especially for a small network).  

"My suggestion" is exactly what TCM has been doing during the Osborne era, and if it hasn't whitewashed film history, it won't.  Every product needs "packaging."  Promoting the art and history of film is nice, but you also need to engage in commercial activities to make a buck so TCM can stay on the air.  Just merchandising alone, TCM has done endless work, from monthly magazines, movie catalogs, movie discs, T-shirts, coffee mugs, even jewelry and other collectibles.  The movie business is and has always been about art PLUS commerce, and I'm surprised some of you don't realize it.

Besides journalist, film historian, interviewer, host, etc., Osborne might have been a good *businessman* as well.  TCM can't just show the movies, folks.  TCM has to create its own content and services and SELL them, and be financially successful in doing so as well (especially for a small network).  

Much of this is based on an artificial economy though, being that it has already been paid for many times over.  The real work these days is restoration, largely made possible by grants and money generously donated through Kickstarter campaigns.  But ok, I'll play along.  I'm in for keeping it like it was when Robert Osborne was there.

In what part of my post did I say TCM should do away with all of the secondary, extracurricular garbage you're talking about? I said I don't care about the hosts. I liked Robert Osborne. He's gone. I don't really care about Ben or Tiffany or any of the others. If I need immediate trivia about a movie, I have the internet for that. IF TCM would lease more classic films from other sources than the MGM and WB stuff they show most of the time, I believe that would have a greater effect on viewership than a new talking head. And I never said anything about any of the rest of the stuff you blathered on about.

As for "Hollywood thinking", your emphasis on branding and commerce sound a lot more like the industry beancounters to me. I understand that TCM has to pay the bills, but I fail to see how Tiffany telling viewers a cute story about the making of North by Northwest for the 400th time does that.  AMC went down the tubes when they decided to brand themselves as something other than a classic movie channel. I like TCM because they show commercial-free, unedited movies (usually) in the proper format. AMC does none of those things.

Ben Mankiewicz..  Easy.  Anyways you don't need one host, there's room for several.  If they go with the multiple host idea for different nights or special shows ect....that they've been doing for a while, then i'm cool with Alec Baldwin, Drew Barrymore, and Tiffany.  A few more i've seen.

You can't replace RO, no need to try.  For obvious reasons, there's not many people who have a connection to way back Hollywood who could host.  

Archived