Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A poll: who would you all most want at the new TCM Host now?

I, too, like Ben and have since he made his first appearance and I like his irreverent approach at times, as there are some movies that, while entertaining, you cannot justify making them out to be any kind of "art form" and if anybody has the genes for movies, next to Drew Barrymore, he's the one. 

I believe, like some others have remarked, that whomever is selected to host the events should have a true love of the Golden Age of Movies with respect for the changing formats overtime.  I love how Eddie Mueller discusses and presents Film Noir and in presenting the information he brings a greater understanding for the period in which the movies were made.

I also like having hosts who have a family connection to the movie industry and bring a different aspect to the films, and unlike many others, I truly thought Alec Baldwin was top notch as he displayed on The Essentials and in the great RO interview he conducted.  Drew Barrymore was good as an Essentials host as was Sally Field, but I think Alec Baldwin is the best. 

Ilianna Douglas is another prospect as a host as is Jeanne Bassinger and David Thomson who writes some of the best books about the movies as does Ms. Bassinger.  I want people discussing movies who are able to view them from all aspects as well as the personalities who made the movie industry what it was.  Sadly I don't think the current movie makers are capable of having intelligent discussions on movies, they'd be best at discussing financing and computer graphics. 

All of the movie writers are good choices since they often appear as "talking heads" in many TCM documentaries already. Again, I think Leonard Maltin can expand from his four times a year hosting of Vault Disney to talk shorts subjects and famous stars. He can come up with a few personal remembrances as well, like this letter he received from Joan Crawford: http://leonardmaltin.com/joan-crawford-no-feud-with-fans/

Ben should definitely remain as ring master, conducting all interviews with guests as Robert did previously.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I didn't know where else to put this comment but here, even if it isn't quite the appropriate place for it. I was so thrilled to see Bill Irwin on TCM commenting on one of his idols, Harold Lloyd. I think Irwin would make an excellent host for a weekly comedy film, similar to the Noir Alley Sunday morning spot. I've heard many interviews with Irwin throughout the years, and he has a great love for classic film.

• Like 2

I hear Mr. O'Reilly is looking for work. He would make a great host. He could begin each film with his "talking points," then spend the next few minutes telling off some pinhead movie critic.

I didn't know where else to put this comment but here, even if it isn't quite the appropriate place for it. I was so thrilled to see Bill Irwin on TCM commenting on one of his idols, Harold Lloyd. I think Irwin would make an excellent host for a weekly comedy film, similar to the Noir Alley Sunday morning spot. I've heard many interviews with Irwin throughout the years, and he has a great love for classic film.

How about a host for each genre------Noir, musicals, westerns, comedy, drama?

• Like 2