Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

unscientific poll RE: OSCARS

No and No

although there was a time when for me it was like supporting your fav football team at the FA cup( brita football) or super bowl. Me and Friends picked a movie ( Not all the same one -lol) and hoped it won and found out the next day.

Yes and Yes.

Have been watching the yearly ceremony since the mid-1960s and have never missed a year.

Don't know if that makes me a dedicated film buff or crazy or both.

1. Always like to watch the Oscars. In the last few years, (There have been times in last few years, that I did not watch all the way to Best Picture..)

2. It used to be exciting to look forward to. Now..just another show.

No and no. I'm 45 years old and have never watched one telecast (I did watch the Grammy's as a child, though). I really lost my patience before the start of The Best Years of Our Lives when Osborne went on and on about the upcoming Oscars. Ugh. I don't like the whole idea of awards for anything. Do your work, take pride in it, but don't hope for, expect, or revel in a gold statue, reward, pat on the back, or recognition. Not just movies, but life in general.

Pat, stepping off his soapbox

1. Do you plan on watching the Oscars?

No.

2. If not, was there a time in your life when you did watch them?

I said on another thread, that I used to always watch them as a kid. Hard to believe they used to come on Monday nights at 10:00 PM EST! Back then, they were one of the rare chances to see movie stars, outside the movies. In more recent years, the movies stars aren't so special, anymore, mainly because you can see them, any day of the week, on television. And, the idea of award-giving is just not interesting to me. They seem to do it, endlessly.

> Two part question -- and please keep responses fairly

> short

>

> 1. Do you plan on watching the Oscars?

No, but I may sneak a peak at the red carpet, just for the fashions.

> 2. If not, was there a time in your life when you

> did watch them?

I always watched them ~ but now it's gotten to the point where I say to myself "Who ARE these people?" I guess I'm just getting old.

Hi,

1) Yes, I'm going to an Oscar party put on by the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra. Guests are asked to dress as their favourite movie star or character.

Two girlfriends and I are going as large tomatoes from "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes"

I'm positive it won Best Picture one of those past years!!!!!!!!!

2) I used to host an Oscar Party in my building's party room until 2000. Then, I couldn't br bothered any more since I didn't recognize anyone. Who are some of these people??

Larry

Message was edited by:

vecchiolarry

I generally don't care much about the Oscars, but I always watch the awards show. I don't feel the current films, actors or actresses compare to those of the classics. I watch the Oscars only to see the fashion and who wears the most outrageous looking outfit. I also like to see/hear the speeches and watch how the music often cuts those off who ramble too long. Since Ellen DeGeneres is hosting it this year, I'll have my remote close at hand to press the "mute" button when she starts to speak.

by all means, love the clothing, and hair styles. Like someone else said, a few years ago, I started saying 'Who are these people?' But some of the 'young' older people are there. Like Redford, Dustin Hoffman, Julia Roberts, etc. But I absolutely hate when they wheel out the oldsters like Elizabeth Taylor, or Kirk Douglas, it's not that I don't want to see them and know how they are, but I want to remember them as in Raintree County and Spartacus.

Never missed except once on the road, when my late mother-in-law was in the hospital in Arkansas, and we made a beeline down there.

Anne

No, and like I've predicted the last couple of years, and was right, this year's Oscars will have bad ratings. No one has seen these movies that have been nominated the last few years, so they won't have anything invested in watching the Oscars. The Departed is the only movie that people saw, but that's not enough to get them to watch.

The last time I watched the Oscars was when the last Lord of the Rings movie, Return of the King, was nominated. There's a definte connection between people going to the movies and the ratings for the Oscars. If no one has seen the films that are nominated, they don't watch the Oscars.

> 1. Do you plan on watching the Oscars?

> 2. If not, was there a time in your life when you

> did watch them?

1. - No!

2. - The Last year that Bob Hope emceed it. ( They kicked him off for being too old,like Burt Parks in the Miss America Pageant) The moral of the story "Don't Age!"

Bartlett

I'd always watch the entire show when Billy Crystal was the MC....he cracks me up! :) I don't even know who the MC is this year??

I'll watch if for a while....thank God for the remote! I can switch back and forth and not miss very much. I'm rooting for Little Miss Sunshine!

Nope, not going to watch, haven't seen any awards shows in years. I never really did watch, just random glimpses while surfing around, but never just intentionally set out to watch. Formerly, it was just that I wasn't usually very interested, now it's both that and that I wouldn't watch on principle. Awards shows, for my taste, have become cheapened anyway, thanks to MTV awards, VHI awards, etc. They're meaningless. But I wouldn't be interested anyway, all the movies I care about or watch (with maybe 11 exceptions) were all made well before my time.

I can more than understand, Melanie, I think without a TiVo the ceremony would be unbearable... at least with it you can zip past the commercials and the boring parts... and oh well, present-day Hollywood is an entirely different thing than during the Golden Era, but I'll be darned if I'm not a sucker for it at least once a year. ;)