Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

And the Oscar goes to.....

Be happy that American Classic cars are still some of the most desirable in the wortld, by every one in the world. I am from europe and i knpw this from expriance. :)

Yep **** ares are effciant and all tha. but the Boring and dwon right fugluy -lol

There are American classic cars that are desirable for collectors, but there are also non-American cars like Rolls-Royce, Porsche and Jaguar, aren't there?

At any rate, I'm sure most people today who are concerned about global warming will be choosing based on environmental factors, and U.S. cars are sadly lagging behind.

Be happy that American Classic cars are still some of the most desirable in the world, by every one in the world. I am from Europe and i know this from experience. :)

and to me driving a car is as much aesthetic experience is like you second home do you want to live in crummy tiny apparent or a wonderful ranch.

Yep **** cars are efficient and all that. But the Boring and down right fugluy -lol

Well, that is what freedom does allow us to choose, mate!

Also I would rather have a nice car and pursue a technological solution to the pollution issue, soon enough when the oil cartels strangle hold on the energy is loosened , nay , broken will equally powerful solar or hydrogen vehicles will be developed .

But the strangle hold must be broken.

However I hope you enjoy the public transport , i shall wave to you has I drive past in my humer. :)

Back to the topic

The only person who deserves any awards in my books , because I really love his performances, is Johnny dep.

Be it Pirates or Edward scissor. hands or Ed wood

I’m a staunch Fan

go Johnny Go!

This will be the last thing I'll have to say with respect to our previous exchanges as you have shown once again that you have to have the last word, regardless of the issue in question. If you choose to respond to this, it will only be falling on deaf ears. All that typing to define a four letter word for me? Why are you arguing semantics? In common usage, a task typically implies that some form of effort be put forth to accomplish the goal. Period. Again you're trying to revise history. I never said television couldn't be used for educational purposes. I said it was designed as an entertainment medium. The airplane wasn't invented as a military weapon, but was soon adapted to that use, wasn't it? How could you conceivably presume that I had never heard of PBS? You must be far more egotistical than even your diatribes would lead one to believe. Maybe I am acting too much the part of moderator, and if so, I apologize to anyone that may have offended. You on the other hand, have consistently placed yourself in the role of arbiter, telling people what they are incapable of, or unable to do. For some reason, and you'd be hard pressed to convince me otherwise, the tone of your postings is that your opinions are far more valid than almost anyone else's. Go back over the threads and see just how many people you've insulted after disagreeing with what they had to say. That is fact and can't be revised. You can try and obfuscate the truth by throwing up a smokescreen, but the truth always comes out in the end. You've been referred to by more than one person among these postings as being pompous. I consider you more arrogant then pompous. I've wasted far too much time on you already and so I'm headed back to the real world. I invite you to visit sometime.

Most of the desirable American automobiles that are classics and therefore collectible are full, one off restorations, with the possible exception of Packard and Stutz. Most American cars, unlike their European counterparts (Benz, Porsche, Rolls, etc...) simply weren't designed or built with longevity in mind. Put me behind the wheel of a brand spanking new Aston Martin Vanquish rather than the nicest '57 Bel Air or Coupe DeVille you've ever seen and I'll be one happy camper! Any vehicle upholstered in hand stitched Connolly hides and accented by hand burled walnut and Waterford crystal is okay in my book!

Yep Europe makes beautiful cars too. my point was that many Europeans think American classics are more desirable/beautiful than even the latest Aston martin or benz s series or even the Italian classics. I do to, having said that that’s a choice based on aesthetics and taste.

And I was not differentiating between Production cars and collectables, since I was stating in terms of dream cars you would choose if you could have any car in the world.

Status is another thing and Italians just about own that market between: Lamborghini andFerrari

Of course some believe the Rolls Royce is still the ultimate status symbol of power and wealth.

Any way its all a matter of opinion. But my basic point was based on aesthetics and not status or Luxury

I agree an Astion martin is an awesome beast, and would not kick out of bead –lol. Although my dream car is the original Lamborghini countach I still think some classic American cars are more beautiful. And I say that as a European leaving aboard :)

"...I think there are some good, even great American movies being made these days..."

The odd exception, yes ("Brokeback Mountain," albeit directed by a Japanese director with an Academy Award-winning score by an Argentinian) but, by and large, no; however, proviso to all opinions expressed is, "To each his/her own!"

"Yes, I would watch a dubbed version because then I could do my other things as well instead of being a total couch potato and staring at the boob tube."

MRS, really!!! We call that "concentration"... : D

newclassicfilmfan, you're missing sooo much; literally a WORLD of great movies. Are you not a "reader" in general? What's your age (group)? For my own survey.

Ever hear of this little ol' movie called Casablanca? Yes it was made in Hollywood, but it had a Hungarian-born director and a Viennese composer (both born in what was then Austria-Hungary). Not to mention that half the cast was made up of European emigres.

Has anything really changed? ;)

Hollis, I don't understand why you get so worked up over a little disagreement on a couple of points. You asked me if I agreed with you that watching television qualifies as a task, and I have you my honest answer. If you disagree with me, just say so. But, the fact remains that under certain circumstances, watching TV *is* a task.

I also disagree with your other assertion, I don't think technological innovations are designed, they are developed and/or discovered but ultimately the commercial applications of such inventions can sometimes not be exactly those the inventors intended. I don't think the many people whose work lead to the mass-market television sets were really committed to any specific kind of programming. If you have any sources that suggest otherwise, I'd be fascinated to read more about it, but so far as I have read, nobody who worked to develop any aspect of television was dead-set on it only being used for entertainment.

Hi Filmlover I saw your reply about the dancers .Nice to hear from you hope all is well .I have to agree with you about it being longer and its to bad they don't have as much entertainment like they use to years ago I remember seeing some great dance numbers long ago .

Ahhhhhh! Dancing Snow White! Somebody hand me a jug of eye bleach quick!!!

Ya know, it was too long, they coulda lost the screen dancers and the Mann montage, but other than that it was okay. I'm peeved that I first picked The Departed, then LFIJ, and I love my Marty but was still hoping Greengrass would have won for United 93. Oh well.

Heh, good ol' times, heh? ;)

I kept wandering why everyone was complaining about this year's telecast being too long... then realized *they* probably weren't multi-tasking, I had stuff going on online and just didn't pay attention whenever something didn't seem interesting. Time went by just as it always does! :)

It seems to me that the Oscar show has become, like so many other TV shows, a type of reality offering. Except for the womens' dresses, no glitz or glamor, and no entertainment. Remember the opening of Billy Crystal's first year when he interjected himself in various movie clips, and how funny that was? Then there were the closings, for years they had a musical extravaganza . . . now it just ends. There was the year all the older actors were on and ended the show singing 'Theres No Business Like Show Business'. The Snow White number was a screwup but wasn't Donny Osmond the lead? Now there's a terrific substitute for an all around entertainer. Now I'm not knocking him, I've never seen him in Josephs' Dream coat or whatever the name is, only as a host on his own show. We have all faced the fact that the Oscar awards have dwindled down to a popularity contest, I was shocked when I heard the nominees could advertise and barter for votes.

I remember one year they did away with all the technical awards and only televised:

Best picture

Best Director

Best actor/actress

Best Supporting actor/actress

Best Song

Best Costume Design

and

Best Makeup

IMHO that is the way it should have stayed, because the average movie watcher is only interested in those categories. I SAID average, which is why it's televised. Most people don't know or care what cinematography is, or who wrote what, whether from a screenplay, book, play, or comic book.

MOST mature audiences prefer mature storylines, and that doesn't include sex and extraordinary visual violence, or language.

" Well, must be easier to talk about movies getting your money when paying senior tickets!" :) That was uncalled for, even with your smiley face. Also, that is another reason for the lack of mature audiences - money - when you're feeding 4 or 5 people, housing, and clothing them, you could at one time come up with $10.00 for a couple to go to the movies and pay a babysitter, but when you have to come up with double that, it gets a little harder, at that time a babysitter was $1.00 an hour, now it's $5.00 an hour.

After all is said and done, maybe next year will be better - I'm from Chicago, remember, and I'm used to saying that. :)

Anne

> MRS, really!!! We call that "concentration"... : D

>

Sorry Otterhere:

I watch TV from 7:00 p.m. to midnight nightly, and since my husband has been gone, I have had to find other things to do while watching TV. :P

Anne