Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dead Ringer (1964) first time viewing

Det Jim McLeod

TCM showed this yesterday and I enjoyed it.

Bette Davis plays a dual role in this thriller, first followup to her Baby Jane success. While it stretches credibility, Davis is a joy to watch playing twin sisters, both being shady ladies with dark secrets. There is some good support from Karl Malden as a lovesick cop and Peter Lawford as a sleazy playboy. And it had a good twist too.

What are your opinions of this one?

• Like 1

Bette Davis plays a dual role in this thriller, first followup to her Baby Jane success. While it stretches credibility, Davis is a joy to watch playing twin sisters, both being shady ladies with dark secrets. There is some good support from Karl Malden as a lovesick cop and Peter Lawford as a sleazy playboy. And it had a good twist too.

Det.--

I wrote a little bit about this film in the "I Just Watched" thread yesterday.

I probably have seen Dead Ringer three or four times.

• Like 1

Det.--

I wrote a little bit about this film in the "I Just Watched" thread yesterday.

I probably have seen Dead Ringer three or four times.

Thanks, I was also a big fan of Duke the lovable Great Dane in this. I agree that the attack scene was included for a horror moment, many early 60s thrillers had them due to the popularity of "Psycho" and the infamous shower scene.

Dead Ringer is one of the better post All-About-Eve Davis films (but that isn't really much praise).    Still it had it moments and Davis and Malden are fine.    

• Like 1

I've also seen this one a few times but watched it off and on yesterday.  It's a fun movie, no masterpiece but enjoyable.  Bette and Karl are good and even Peter Lawford is entertaining with his sleaze.  I love Duke.  Plus it's directed by Paul Henreid, whom I have grown to appreciate more and more over the years.

• Like 1

A solid, enjoyable thriller! Davis and the rest of the cast turn in really good performances. If you like Davis in twin form, I recommend A Stolen Life (1946), with Glenn ford and Dane Clark (a favorite of mine). I like both movies very much!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I like DEAD RINGER, and Davis and the rest of the cast. However, before I ever saw it, I had seen the 1946 Mexican movie of the same story, LA OTRA, starring Dolores Del Rio. She is great, and this film has a very noirish air to it in its sets and cinematography as well as story.

I really wish TCM would show the Del Rio version. I've wanted to see it for years. Bette is really 20 yrs too old for the part, but she does her best. And for all the mayhem involved, not a drop of blood spilled!  Andre Previn's score helps a lot.......

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really wish TCM would show the Del Rio version. I've wanted to see it for years. Bette is really 20 yrs too old for the part, but she does her best. And for all the mayhem involved, not a drop of blood spilled! Andre Previn's score helps a lot.......

Hibi,

Wouldn't it be great if maybe next year Dolores Del Rio got chosen for a day of SUTS? They could show some of her Hollywood films along with some Mexican classics from the 1940s and 50s, including LA OTRA. We can only hope.

• Like 1

Hibi,

Wouldn't it be great if maybe next year Dolores Del Rio got chosen for a day of SUTS? They could show some of her Hollywood films along with some Mexican classics from the 1940s and 50s, including LA OTRA. We can only hope.

YES!  Even better for SOTM!!  Would love to see some of her Mexican films.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings