Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

July Schedule is Up

Ronald Colman is the July SOTM, with July 13th the highlight for me. Four Colman films that I haven't seen on TCM before

If I Were King (Paramount)

Clive of India (Fox)

The Light That Failed (Paramount)

The Man Who Broke the Bank at Monte Carlo (Fox)

The Light That Failed is the one I would most recommend, but If I Were King (which has Basil Rathbone) and even the light hearted Man Who Broke the Bank at Monte Carlo are both worth a look. Clive of India is pretty slow and dull as historical drama.

Good stuff:

I Knew Her Well   ***

The Winning of Barbara Worth   ***

One Mysterious Night   ***

Lady Bug, Lady Bug   ***

David and Lisa   ***

Shadows in Paradise   ***

The Show   ***

If I Were King   ***

The Light That Failed   ***

The Ninth Configuration   ***1/2

A Touch of Zen   ***

Remember My Name   ***

Anna and the Wolves   ***

From Beyond the Grave   ***

I Live in Fear   ***

A Double Life   ***1/2

The Late George Apley   ***

Tokyo Chorus   ***1/2

Tokyo Twilight   ***1/2

Record of a Tenement Gentleman   ***

The theme for the first evening of the month seems to me as if it was a theme used in a: TCM Programming Challenge entry. 

I am happy to see that: Ronald Colman is: SOTM. If I Were King (1938) is a particular favorite of mine.

Ooh Ronald Colman is someone who I haven't had much exposure to, except for Talk of the Town.  

I like that the spotlight is on 50 years of Hitchcock.  It's interesting that TCM is showing all of Hitchcock's silent films.

Perusing the schedule, this is what pops out at me:

7/1

I love The Lady Eve.  I also like the idea of the Primetime Theme of the con artist falling in love with the person who he or she is supposed to be conning.  Mr. Lucky was an interesting film that I wouldn't mind seeing again.  I am interested in Nobody Lives Forever with John Garfield.  I am not too familiar with Garfield's work except The Postman Always Rings Twice and Four Daughters.

7/2

Between Two Worlds.  This film sounds interesting.  I'm especially interested in the cast: John Garfield, Eleanor Parker, Sydney Greenstreet, Faye Emerson and Paul Henreid.  I also always enjoy films featuring a doomed cruise.

7/5

Beyond a Reasonable Doubt.  A Dana Andrews movie I haven't seen.  I have a couple others of his recorded on the DVR right now (Fallen Angel and Boomerang), but haven't watched them.  I tried watching Fallen Angel, but I fell asleep.  Not because the movie was boring, but because apparently I cannot stay up past 11pm on weekends.  Lol.  I'll try again, the movie looked interesting.  I especially liked Linda Darnell's part in the film.

While the City Sleeps was pretty good.  However, the characters are more interesting than the actual mystery that is being solved.

7/10

The Best of Everything.  One of my favorite sub genres: 1950s melodramas.  I haven't seen this film starring Joan Crawford.

7/20

Kismet.  I've wanted to see this film starring Colman and Marlene Dietrich. 

Lucky Partners.  I haven't seen this Ginger Rogers film before.

7/21

The Trouble With Harry.  I haven't seen this Hitchock film before.

7/23

It Should Happen to You.  I love this Judy Holliday movie.  I watch it each time it airs on TCM.  For whatever reason, it is hard to find on DVD.

7/27

A Double Life. Colman won an Oscar for this film.  It sounds really interesting and I especially like the Ruth Gordon/Garson Kanin scripts. 

Random Harvest.  Another famous classic film that I haven't seen.  I do love good "weepies." 

7/28

Torn Curtain.  Another Hitchcock film I haven't seen.

7/29

I like the Primetime Spotlight to Tony Curtis.  I feel that he is very underrated. 

7/30

Well if I miss it the other times it's airing between now and July, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is airing again.  I haven't seen this film and I would very much like to.

Two For the Road is an Audrey Hepburn film that I haven't seen yet.

7/31

OMG The Legend of Lylah Claire! I have been wanting to see this film ever since I heard about it. 

Diane Keaton is getting this years AFI Lifetime Achievement Award.  I like Keaton, so I may check out her ceremony.  I wish that TCM would get the rights to show some of the previous AFI ceremonies.  You can watch people like James Cagney, Bette Davis, Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly accept their AFI awards on YouTube.  It'd be neat if TCM could air the full ceremonies.  Cagney's AFI acceptance speech is well worth the 10 minutes spent on You Tube. 

Ooh next month we should find out the SUTS nominees.

7/2

Between Two Worlds.  This film sounds interesting.  I'm especially interested in the cast: John Garfield, Eleanor Parker, Sydney Greenstreet, Faye Emerson and Paul Henreid.  I also always enjoy films featuring a doomed cruise.

The film takes place aboard a Norwegian Cruise Line. Everyone gets the norovirus and loses ten pounds, although with Greenstreet, no one can tell the difference.

• Like 1

cheers for selecting Ronald Coleman as SOTM. the review of his career is almost complete. i looked hard for Champagne for Caesar (1950) as part of the Coleman showings, but, alas, that comedy got overlooked. maybe there'll be a champagne theme for New Year's and it'll get aired then.

the rest of the Coleman pics generally are pretty good (except The Story of Mankind (1957) which can be ignored till the next century.)

The film takes place aboard a Norwegian Cruise Line. Everyone gets the norovirus and loses ten pounds, although with Greenstreet, no one can tell the difference.

Greenstreet believed his agent told him he was cast in Between Two Meals.   He was at a lost how the studio could make a film that covers such a short period of time.

• Like 1

7/2

Plenty of good options here.  I am just replying because Erich Wolfgang Korngold did Between Two Worlds, and it was said to be his favorite of all his film scores.

The movie itself is a WWII era remake of Outward Bound (1930), but in a good way, as the additions are constructive to the story.

I recommend it.

• Like 1

I'm delighted by the selection of Ronald Colman, an actor whose work up to now has been largely unseen by me. Going over his imdb resume, I'm counting nine Colman films that I've ever seen, and one of those is his cameo in Around the World in 80 Days. I especially want to see his Oscar-winning performance in A Double Life, which I've read some critics say isn't so great, but it's one of a very tiny number of Best Actor-winning performances I haven't seen (seems like Colman was just waiting for that Oscar as an excuse to hang up his boots. He made only three more films in the next 10 years after winning it, and one of them was the aforementioned cameo).

Ronald Colman is the July SOTM, with July 13th the highlight for me. Four Colman films that I haven't seen on TCM before

If I Were King (Paramount)

Clive of India (Fox)

The Light That Failed (Paramount)

The Man Who Broke the Bank at Monte Carlo (Fox)

The Light That Failed is the one I would most recommend, but If I Were King (which has Basil Rathbone) and even the light hearted Man Who Broke the Bank at Monte Carlo are both worth a look. Clive of India is pretty slow and dull as historical drama.

This evening will be the highlight of the month for me also. TCM premieres of Ronald Colman films from the Paramount and Fox vaults. That's if they don't get pulled between now and then. :)

7/31

OMG The Legend of Lylah Claire! I have been wanting to see this film ever since I heard about it. 

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Get your a** out there and tell them Lylah's coming! As soon as she gets her harness on . . ."

• Like 1

This evening will be the highlight of the month for me also. TCM premieres of Ronald Colman films from the Paramount and Fox vaults. That's if they don't get pulled between now and then. :)

I wonder what legalities keeps BULLDOG DRUMMOND  STRIKES BACK  ( 1934 ) with Ronald Colman,Loretta Young and Warner Oland from being shown on TCM.  It is without a doubt the best of the Bulldog Drummond films .  

I especially want to see his Oscar-winning performance in A Double Life, which I've read some critics say isn't so great, but it's one of a very tiny number of Best Actor-winning performances I haven't seen (seems like Colman was just waiting for that Oscar as an excuse to hang up his boots. He made only three more films in the next 10 years after winning it, and one of them was the aforementioned cameo).

Not in my opinion. Colman's Oscar winning performance is fine, one of his outstanding performances.

Colman was an actor who didn't attempt to stretch his wings too often, largely content to play roles he thought suitable for his screen persona. The two times in his career, however, in which he played roles more demanding of him as an actor were in A Tale of Two Cities and A Double Life, and both times it produced some of the best acting of his career.

Having said that, the roles for which I love watching Colman the most are those fitting more within his established gentlemanly screen persona, requiring light hearted charm and a bemused attitude, Bulldog Drummond (a delightful tongue-in-cheek turn), Lost Horizon and Prisoner of Zenda.

He brings an effective disillusionment to his idealistic Conway character in Lost Horizon. This was the film and performance that made be a great fan of the actor when I was just a teen, determined to see all that I could of him afterward. This film will always hold a special place in my heart.

• Like 2