Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Arkadin

Paisan (1946)

I have seen some of the film, but never had a chance to see all the little stories altogether within the film. Looks like from the schedule that this is the only showing TCM plans to do for awhile.

We will also be treated to three other great films that morning:

Divorce: Italian Style (1961)

I, Vitelloni (1953)

Wild Strawberries (1957)

Discussion anyone?

I'm certainly looking forward to Paisan. I've already seen Germany Year Zero (Germania Anno Zero), and have been diligently requesting Open City (Roma, Citt? Aperta). I may have seen the latter one years ago? It would be great if all of Rossellini's trilogy were shown.

i am DEFINITELY watching all four of those movies! what a treat that day will be.

didnt Fellini have a role in making Paisan and I, Vitelloni?

I know Fellini worked on "Open City" (1945), but am not sure about Paisan.

I, Vitelloni (the name means "young calves") is his own creation and inspired many films from "Mean Streets" (1973) to "Diner" (1982). In my opinion, it's one of his essential works. Heck, it should be on "The Essentials" for that matter!

Ah, but how often do they show foreign-language movies for the "Essentials"? :(

Of course, if they did do so on a regular basis, there are too many movies that should be included, anything from Potemkin to Jean de Florette/Manon des Sources.

OK, I watched the first twenty minutes of this. Am I crazy, or are the US soldiers speaking English in the film, yet dubbed in English by goofier-sounding actors? The Italian and German dialogue seems to be in sync with their lips, but the Americans are off quite a bit.