Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
lydecker

Who Is Your Favorite Classic Movie Mom?

Mother's Day is looming around the corner so this was on my mind.  I think I'd have to say Anne Revere in "National Velvet." Her speech to Elizabeth Taylor when they are up in the attic just kills me every time.

Runner-up Mom would be Emma Dunn in her many performances as Martha Kildare in the Dr. Kildare series. Funny, wise and wonderful.

Lydecker

Dorothy McGuire in Old Yeller. "I'll shoot him if you can't. Either way, we've got to do it."

And the "Mom Who Stands By Her Son" of the Year Award goes to. . .

eb3451d7c7eb5c49977ff40701c5f7d3.jpg

"Top of the world, son."

• Like 2

I was thinking along the lines of "nice" classic movie moms but I guess favorite has nothing to do with "nice!" These responses are cracking me up.

I was thinking along the lines of "nice" classic movie moms but I guess favorite has nothing to do with "nice!" These responses are cracking me up.

... we can add Mrs. Bates in Psycho, being preserved in the fruit cellar because she is fruity.

Also the future Aunt Clara in Bewitched.

Hey,  I did mention Loy in Best Years of Our Life.    But now that I think about it, the way she ignores her son in this film is a sign of poor motherhood.    :lol:

• Like 2

Irene Dunne in I Remember Mama AND Life With Father. 

Dorothy McGuire in Friendly Persuasion would be another one of my fav's.

Joan Crawford as Mildred Pierce. Heh, heh...

..Or, how about Faye Dunaway  as Joan Crawford? ( Just joking- that was so predictable! :P )

How about Piper Laurie in Carrie? ;)

• Like 1

... we can add Mrs. Bates in Psycho, being preserved in the fruit cellar because she is fruity.

Also the future Aunt Clara in Bewitched.

Totally forgot about her.  She is definitely a mom to remember.

Well, seein' as how I returned home this afternoon to find all the good jokes have already been done here...  ;)

...I'm going to throw a little curve in this thread and now suggest a classic movie mom that I doubt few if anyone else might think of here.

My pick would be the great Olivia de Havilland who played a mother denied her chance at years of motherhood because her plan would go astray to circumvent the social conventions of her character's time and place, and which would have tainted her and her child born out of wedlock within the small American town that she and the other characters in this movie resided. She then must experience motherhood vicariously.

Yep, I'm referring to her Oscar winning role in TO EACH HIS OWN.

And, I'll come right out and say that ANYONE who watches her in this movie and especially at the film's end and when John Lund playing her grown son walks up to her and says, "I believe this is our dance, Mother"...

32070972.png

...well, anyone who isn't moved to at least a tear or two must be possessed of one cold cold heart!

(...see, folks?!...THIS is what happens when all the good jokes in these threads are used before I can get to 'em...I get all sloppy sentimental like this...and thus the reason I HATE IT when this kind'a thing happens, ya see!) 

;)

• Like 2

Why not favorite typical movie moms?

Have a few.

Shmi Skywalker Lars in "Star Wars". Kept her gentleness even in the worst surroundings.

slide_5257_72285_large.jpg

Mrs Incredible, able to stretch the family budget. :P

helen-parr.png

Mother from hell in "Throw Mama From The Train". :lol:

throwmomma.jpg

• Like 2

Hey,  I did mention Loy in Best Years of Our Life.    But now that I think about it, the way she ignores her son in this film is a sign of poor motherhood.    :lol:

Ignore her son?

That kid virtually disappears from the film when there's a half hour or 45 minutes to go and no one in the family says anything about it. Pops is too busy snorting any glass of booze he can get near while Mom is busy fixing dinner in the kitchen without noticing that one of the members of the family is no longer showing up at the table to have his meals.

Meanwhile Big Sister figures that one man's wife isn't good enough for him and tries to take him away from her. Does she ever refer to her kid brother missing in action? Noooooo. Too busy trying to hook a man.

The Stephensons, just your typical wholesome family right out of a Norman Rockwell painting.

77086-004-E955D220.jpg

Even the big wedding scene at the end, Rob Stephenson is STILL missing, and Mom and Dad aren't noticing.

Will somebody PLEASE put out a missing child report??????????????

• Like 4

I have a list which I compiled for possible use in week-long: "variations on a theme" theme for an entry in: TCM Programming Challenge.

Marjorie Main as Ma Kettle in Ma and Pa Kettle (1949)

Anne Bancroft as Mrs. Robinson in The Graduate (1967)

Sheila Raynor as Mrs. DeLarge in A Clockwork Orange (1971)

Agnes Moorehead as Mrs. Kane in Citizen Kane (1941)

Gladys Cooper as Mrs. Vale in Now, Voyager (1942)

Gita Dey as Nita's mother in Meghe Dhaka Tara (1960)

Eleanor Audley (voice) as Lady Tremaine in Cinderella (1950) 

Elsa Lanchester as Mrs. Stiles in Willard (1971)

Helen Hayes as Madelon in The Sin of Madelon Claudet (1931)

Lana Turner as Mrs. Anderson in Madame X (1966)

Gertrude Lawrence as Mrs. Wingfield in The Glass Menagerie (1950)

I yet find it slightly unnerving that Judith Anderson in Rebecca (1940) is Mrs. Danvers which implies that there was once a Mr. Danvers. I do not wish to explore deeply the thought that she might have become a mother.

• Like 1

Ignore her son?

That kid virtually disappears from the film when there's a half hour or 45 minutes to go and no one in the family says anything about it. Pops is too busy snorting any glass of booze he can get near while Mom is busy fixing dinner in the kitchen without noticing that one of the members of the family is no longer showing up at the table to have his meals.

Meanwhile Big Sister figures that one man's wife isn't good enough for him and tries to take him away from her. Does she ever refer to her kid brother missing in action? Noooooo. Too busy trying to hook a man.

The Stephensons, just your typical wholesome family right out of a Norman Rockwell painting.

77086-004-E955D220.jpg

Even the big wedding scene at the end, Rob Stephenson is STILL missing, and Mom and Dad aren't noticing.

Will somebody PLEASE put out a missing child report??????????????

He was on a comfort break. Just as the couple said "I do", there was the sound of a flushing toilet.

He was on a comfort break. Just as the couple said "I do", there was the sound of a flushing toilet.

Maybe so.

Still, the last 45 minutes or so of Best Years must have covered a few weeks, if not months. If he was on a comfort break all that time, how come someone in the family, at some point or other, didn't call through the door, "You okay in there, Rob? We haven't seen you in a few weeks."

Maybe so.

Still, the last 45 minutes or so of Best Years must have covered a few weeks, if not months. If he was on a comfort break all that time, how come someone in the family, at some point or other, didn't call through the door, "You okay in there, Rob? We haven't seen you in a few weeks."

It's considered rude to bother a person who's doing his personal business.