Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Day After the Oscars -Oh my God, it was just another fashion show.

Even my mother is just talking about the dresses, does anybody have anything substantive to say about the great movies?

Where do they get all these gossipy talk show hosts, do they ever mention the acting? The only thing they talk about is how Carmen Diaz could have combed her hair more. By the way, I think Carmen Diaz looked stunning, I only mention this to counter the gossip. If I hadn't watched the Oscars myself, I would think that people like Gwyneth Paltrow stole the show. This is very sad because all the nominees were brilliant:

http://1st.shorturl.com

I am happy with the winners. The trouble, I think, was that this year's show (the presentation) was pretty horrible.

It was four hours long, in which the first hour could have been cut.

The dancers performing the poster art could have been done away with, as well as the Jack Black, etc., song. During that song, I was thinking that it was so painful that I pitied the audience members trapped there.

The Dreamgirls numbers would have been much better if the dancers didn't distract things so much.

I am not a great fan of the fashion side of the Oscars, but this year I think most of the dresses were quite glamourous. My favorite was probably Gwyneth Paltrow. The worst was easily Jodie Foster.

The backstage host was terrible. It made me want Robert Osborne there.

It was just that this was one of those rare occasions when I would like to have those four hours of my life back again.

"Even my mother is just talking about the dresses, does anybody have anything substantive to say about the great movies?"

Had there been any "great movies" this year, I'd have something (substantive) to say about them... But, noooooooooooooooo... : (

My only questions -- NOT having watched!!! -- are: was the composer of the soundtrack of the Brad Pitt movie the same guy who composed the soundtrack to "Brokeback" last year? And, if so, did he win??? Hope so; great artist.

Even though I don't watch the oscars for the fashions or the dresses I have to admit that Gwyneth Paltrow was pretty stunning, I did blush when I saw her. I am pretty happy with the winners, although I still think that Little Miss Sunshine should have won for best picture and I feel that the only reason why The Departed won was because Marty deserved it because he had never won before.

Message was edited by:

Kubrickbuff

"My only questions -- NOT having watched!!! -- are: was the composer of the soundtrack of the Brad Pitt movie the same guy who composed the soundtrack to "Brokeback" last year? And, if so, did he win??? Hope so; great artist. "

Yes. He won.

CharlieT

I didn't watch the whole Oscars but I don't recall a tribute video to those who passed away in the preceding year. Did I miss it? No mention of it on the Oscar site either.

I always enjoy it even though it is a little sad..

Al

I thought in general the evening gowns were very lovely. I thought Helen Mirren looked the best - for an older lady - she shows style and class.

I thought there were a few fashion blunders - among them:

Meryl Streep - what was that supposed to be....a flower child from Woodstock?

Ellen DeGeneres - can she ever get rid of the sneakers?

Nicole Kidman - that loud red gown with the fair skin - needed sunglasses to look at her.

Rachel Weisz - ugly gray gown that was sagging into her boobs...awful looking.

Penelope Cruz - a ruffled mess that looked more like an ostrich on a bad day.

I laughed at some of movielovers descriptions of bad fashion. I thought the show was a dullfest which put me to sleep. I haven't seen any of the nominated films which didn't help my interest of watching it either. It runs way too long and should be shortened. Nobody can top Bob Hope doing the Oscar hosting duties. I think at least Ellen DeGeneres was a little better than Chris Rock and Jon Stewart, but was far worse than Billy Crystal.

As for fashion - I second the notion that Helen Mirren was the best dressed and exudes an elegance beyond words.

I personally thought Jennifer Lopez dress was awful and Cameron Diaz looked better as a blonde and her dress looked like she made it out of a paper-doll cutout book.

Alan Arkin and Jack Nicholson were doing their best impression of Britney Spears.

I thought Will Smith is okay - but could someone please drag that wife away from the camera? Jada Pinkett-Smith always wants to steal the spotlight from her husband and is always "on" with the fake laugh and falseness about her. There's just something that bugs me about this talentless woman.

I thought it was an outstanding show this year. It moved well, it hads some great surprises and some nice moments. All the focus on Nickolsen was a little odd, since he wasn't nominated. Somenthing I still don't understand. The pinicle of the show for me was Micheal Mann's edit on America, a la TCM style, which had several clever moments of depth and commentary in what is usual a shallow predictable production. And yes, Jennifer Lopez's dress was paradoxically entertaining to say that least, studded with diamonds, on a night when one of the top movies, Blood Diamond, is about how the diamond mines of africa are so damaging to its populous. Jenny from the block I presume.

"I thought Helen Mirren looked the best - for an older lady - she shows style and class."

We need to get off this youth kick. Age has nothing to do with how well-dressed a person is!

I'm glad that Ms. Mirren is getting some credit. I saw her at an earlier awards show, maybe from last year, a knockout in a white dress that in my opinion was even nicer than what she wore to the Oscars, but very few people commented on it. I felt she was the best-dressed woman there.

BLU, soon to be 50

BLU

And as someone who won't go to a movie, the AA were of more interest to me for the gowns.

Thanks for the Blackwell list, otterhere. While those examples were amazingly awful, I would think a stah has more advice on the occasion of the AA. Therefore, Madame Streep's schmata and K-Mart jewelry was jaw-droppingly awful.

Thankfully, there were many, many, many shots of Cate Blanchett's gun-metal grey dress by the ditzoids at E! Online. Can someone post a picture of her and it here? It was 1930s drop dead gorgeous. The line, the detail at the hem. *sigh*