Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trump and North Korea

Bogie56

Totally agree that you don't have to have any accomplishments to be elected twice as SC governor - just be a Republican.  Same here in GA, at least it has been for a while and will probably continue that way for some time.

Haley saying she is "done talking about North Korea" is beyond stupid because her job as ambassador is to keep talking, keep negotiating, keep making an effort to resolve conflicts.

Haley's ethnic heritage is irrelevant.  A person can be a poor-to-mediocre governor regardless of their heritage, gender, whatever.  But if your job is UN Ambassador and you're "done talking" then maybe you should consider resigning.

• Like 1

Totally agree that you don't have to have any accomplishments to be elected twice as SC governor - just be a Republican.  Same here in GA, at least it has been for a while and will probably continue that way for some time.

Haley saying she is "done talking about North Korea" is beyond stupid because her job as ambassador is to keep talking, keep negotiating, keep making an effort to resolve conflicts.

Haley's ethnic heritage is irrelevant.  A person can be a poor-to-mediocre governor regardless of their heritage, gender, whatever.  But if your job is UN Ambassador and you're "done talking" then maybe you should consider resigning.

I believe you misunderstood Haley's position when she says 'done taking about NK';  this was a direct message to China that the USA is done begging them to do something.   To take the action they said they would take but haven't (by violating the sanctions).   Of course the USA will still be working with China to see if the conflict can be resolved.   

The USA has NO direct communication with NK and it was this Admin that has proposed doing so (NK refuses direct talks with the USA).    

The Obama Admin was wise to open communication with Iran,  but they didn't with NK.     Now I'm not faulting the Obama Admin for that since NK and Kim are a tough nut to crack (pun intended).

Anyhow,  I get the feeling Dems are doing what Republicans did when Obama was President;  view how foreign policy issues are handled in a very patrician manner.     No Admin,  lead by either party,  has been able to resolved the conflicts in the Middle East or NK.      That isn't because those running things are incompetent (well expect in the case of Trump and GWB),  but because these are complex situations and the USA's power to bend things in our direction are limited (even going to war doesn't resolve issues as one can see by the needless invasion of Iraq that started the Arab nightmare (what some still call spring).

Senator Graham Just Revealed His Terrifying Talk With Trump About “War” With North Korea-

"...Matt Lauer told Graham that “every military expert says there is no good military option,” but the Senator disagreed.

“They’re wrong,” Graham said. “There is a good military option, to destroy North Korea’s program and North Korea itself.”

Graham acknowledged that “Japan, South Korea, and China would all be in the cross-hairs of a war if we started one with North Korea” and that “thousand [would] die.” Nevertheless, he sees this as the “good military option” and so does the president.

“He’s told me that to my face,” Graham said, a claim later confirmed by Vox, which contacted both Graham and Trump’s press offices. “Donald Trump is not going to allow this missile threat…”

http://washingtonjournal.com/2017/08/01/senator-graham-just-revealed-terrifying-talk-trump-war-north-korea/

I believe you misunderstood Haley's position when she says 'done taking about NK';  this was a direct message to China that the USA is done begging them to do something.   To take the action they said they would take but haven't (by violating the sanctions).   Of course the USA will still be working with China to see if the conflict can be resolved.   

The USA has NO direct communication with NK and it was this Admin that has proposed doing so (NK refuses direct talks with the USA).    

The Obama Admin was wise to open communication with Iran,  but they didn't with NK.     Now I'm not faulting the Obama Admin for that since NK and Kim are a tough nut to crack (pun intended).

Anyhow,  I get the feeling Dems are doing what Republicans did when Obama was President;  view how foreign policy issues are handled in a very patrician manner.     No Admin,  lead by either party,  has been able to resolved the conflicts in the Middle East or NK.      That isn't because those running things are incompetent (well expect in the case of Trump),  but because these are complex situations and the USA's power to blend things in our direction are limited (even going to war doesn't resolve issues as one can see by the needless invasion of Iraq that started the Arab nightmare (what some still call spring).

Then Haley should have said what you said instead of the "done talking..." which I don't think was the best way to say something.

Totally agree about North Korea and the Middle East.  Complex situations that have been that way for a long time.

• Like 2

Then Haley should have said what you said instead of the "done talking..." which I don't think was the best way to say something.

Totally agree about North Korea and the Middle East.  Complex situations that have been that way for a long time.

Based on what Tillerson said today it does look like Haley spoke too soon (or out of turn),  since he is calling for direct discussions with N.K.      Just another example of confusion within the Trump admin.

• Like 2

Senator Graham Just Revealed His Terrifying Talk With Trump About “War” With North Korea-

"...Matt Lauer told Graham that “every military expert says there is no good military option,” but the Senator disagreed.

“They’re wrong,” Graham said. “There is a good military option, to destroy North Korea’s program and North Korea itself.”

Graham acknowledged that “Japan, South Korea, and China would all be in the cross-hairs of a war if we started one with North Korea” and that “thousand [would] die.” Nevertheless, he sees this as the “good military option” and so does the president.

“He’s told me that to my face,” Graham said, a claim later confirmed by Vox, which contacted both Graham and Trump’s press offices. “Donald Trump is not going to allow this missile threat…”

http://washingtonjournal.com/2017/08/01/senator-graham-just-revealed-terrifying-talk-trump-war-north-korea/

Graham has always been a hawk when it comes to foreign policy.  I'm concerned that Trump might want to go to war to get the focus off all the Russia stuff, etc.

• Like 1

oh yeah. I heard about that BS today. aging career feminist schtootzette senator dianne feinstein who somehow imagines her advanced age brings prestige to her brand of dying out feminism attempted to ridicule lindsay graham by suggesting that he oughta sit in with her on some intel briefings. firstly, graham doan need her help to ridicule himself. he does that quite goodly by his lonesome.  :lol:  

but here is is right. kim jung **** cannot be ignored. he must be dealt with. of course her reason for getting perturbed by graham's blunt remarks about north korea should be obvious to the thinking mind...

here's a conservative GOP senator from south carolina understandably concerned about the north korean ICBM threat to the continental U.S. and just maybe this stupid uninuitive woman's own SoCal constituents are wondering just where her concern is for this threat considering that the possibility now exists that their own sorry liberal SoCal **** might get nuked.

:lol:

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited for Language

oh yeah. I heard about that BS today. aging career feminist schtootzette senator dianne feinstein who somehow imagines her advanced age brings prestige to her brand of dying out feminism attempted to ridicule lindsay graham by suggesting that he oughta sit in with her on some intel briefings. firstly, graham doan need her help to ridicule himself. he does that quite goodly by his lonesome.  :lol:  

but here is is right. kim jung **** cannot be ignored. he must be dealt with. of course her reason for getting perturbed by graham's blunt remarks about north korea should be obvious to the thinking mind...

here's a conservative GOP senator from south carolina understandably concerned about the north korean ICBM threat to the continental U.S. and just maybe this stupid uninuitive woman's own SoCal constituents are wondering just where her concern is for this threat considering that the possibility now exists that their own sorry liberal SoCal **** might get nuked.

:lol:

Really?  "Aging feminist schootzette"?  You really want to go there?  Can't keep your ageism and sexism under wrap?  She's got more foreign policy/intel smarts than most anyone in the Senate, male or female, regardless of party or age.

You may be delighted if liberal SoCal was nuked but remember that the atomic fallout could reach you -  even in your zaygon hegomony.

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited Quote for Language
  • Like 2

Really?  "Aging feminist schootzette"?  You really want to go there?  Can't keep your ageism and sexism under wrap?  She's got more foreign policy/intel smarts than most anyone in the Senate, male or female, regardless of party or age.

You may be delighted if liberal SoCal was nuked but remember that the atomic fallout could reach you -  even in your zaygon hegomony.

graham wants something concrete done to neutralize the threat and feinstein seems to have a problem with that.

okay, so north korea fires one at SoCal while we foolishly wait on sanctions to work to no effect...is that what she wants?

such a horrific event would wake up even millennials to the sick folly of modern liberalism...and what is that folly?

imagining the real world to being something akin to sesame street. millions of sane americans of every generation will refuse to pay such an astounding price for the sake of the niavete of arrogant fools like this woman.

Really? "Aging feminist schootzette"? You really want to go there? Can't keep your ageism and sexism under wrap? She's got more foreign policy/intel smarts than most anyone in the Senate, male or female, regardless of party or age.

You may be delighted if liberal SoCal was nuked but remember that the atomic fallout could reach you - even in your zaygon hegomony.

Yeah, what's up with men always knocking older women. Everybody gets old. It's nothing to be ashamed of unless-- Here's 71 year-old fatty Trump looking ridiculous with that younger woman.

And he looks like he's ready for the nursing home. It's a good thing that he can afford to go to one because by cutting off Medicaid he's going to see to it that the majority of Americans won't be able to.

• Like 1

Perhaps she is done talking because nobody is listening?

I wasn't making a derogatory comment re: here ethnicity, just that it was about the only thing that gave her any kind of background to be UN ambassador.  And I am sure whoever recommended her to Trump pointed out how good it would look because of her gender and ethnicity.

Let's remember that Graham is a retired USAF Reserve JAG colonel.  During Desert Storm he served in Columbia, SC writing wills and powers of attorney.

During current wars, he has periodically served his reserve duty as a JAG officer in Iraq or Afghanistan - after the heavy warfare.  

There are no good options for NK.  Graham's war would be very questionable.  Yes, it might succeed just as the Iraq war succeeded in getting rid of Sadam and Afghanistan war succeeded in getting rid of the Taliban.  BUT, and this is a big BUT, neither of those had China for an ally.  Not to mention, NK is on China's border and they don't trust us or SK or Japan.

When NK was losing the war with SK in 1951, China sent in troops, tanks, planes, pilots and massive support.  The best the US and it's allies could accomplish was a truce that is continuing to this day.

If all the talk is an attempt to scare Kim, won't work because he is crazy.  Maybe it is meant to scare China into doing something, but that is a whole 'nother set of issues.

Incidentally, we are still at war in Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as with ISIS worldwide with no victory in site for any of them.  Just finished reading magazine articles about the large amount of time reserve and national guard troops are spending on extended active duty.  Meanwhile DOD and VA are seeking ways to cuts benefits for service members, dependents and disabled veterans to pay for all these adventures.

• Like 1

Why Do North Koreans Hate Us? One Reason — They Remember the Korean War.-

"....the Korean War. Remember that? The one wedged between World War II and the Vietnam War? The first “hot” war of the Cold War, which took place between 1950 and 1953, and which has since been conveniently airbrushed from most discussions and debates about the “crazy” and “insane” regime in Pyongyang?

Forgotten despite the fact that this particular war isn’t even over — it was halted by an armistice agreement, not a peace treaty — and despite the fact that the conflict saw the United States engage in numerous war crimes, which, perhaps unsurprisingly, continue to shape the way North Koreans view the United States, even if the residents of the United States remain blissfully ignorant of their country’s belligerent past.

For the record, it was the North Koreans, and not the Americans or their South Korean allies, who started the war in June 1950, when they crossed the 38th Parallel and invaded the south. Nevertheless, “What hardly any Americans know or remember,” University of Chicago historian Bruce Cumings writes in his book “The Korean War: A History,” “is that we carpet-bombed the north for three years with next to no concern for civilian casualties.”.........

....“the American air war left a deep and lasting impression” and “more than any other single factor, gave North Koreans a collective sense of anxiety and fear of outside threats, that would continue long after the war’s end.”....

https://theintercept.com/2017/05/03/why-do-north-koreans-hate-us-one-reason-they-remember-the-korean-war/

• Like 2

I doubt that KJU has any plans to start a nuclear war with the

U.S. It would be good to mostly ignore him, but that would

probably only make him angry and more liable to increase

his saber rattling. One thing this guy can't stand is being

ignored. Same as Donny MAGA.

• Like 1

Breaking--While Trump is on vacation, United Nations unanimously impose economic sanctions on North Korea.  One third of all North Korean exports are now banned.  More sanctions may be coming.

I now have more respect for Nikki Haley, U.S. ambassador to the United Nations.

Source--CNN television.

Breaking--While Trump is on vacation, United Nations unanimously impose economic sanctions on North Korea. One third of all North Korean exports are now banned. More sanctions may be coming.

Source--CNN television.

I think I just said this on another thread - - but it's worth repeating: Secretary of State Tillerson and Ambassador Haley are Moving On In Their Own Direction because they're not getting any responsible direction from the brain-dead chief executive.
  • Like 4

Breaking--While Trump is on vacation, United Nations unanimously impose economic sanctions on North Korea.  One third of all North Korean exports are now banned.  More sanctions may be coming.

Source--CNN television.

Most importantly, China voted for the ban.  The Security Council vote was 15-0, so I guess Russia voted for it as well.

It bans NK exports of coal, coal ore, iron, iron ore, lead, lead ore and seafood. It also prohibits countries from increasing the number of North Koreans working abroad and bans new joint ventures with the North as well as any new investment in current joint ventures.

Who has been purchasing these things in the past?

In addition, the sanctions place nine individuals and four entities on the U.N. blacklist, including a global asset freeze and travel ban on North Korea's primary foreign 

Rex Tillerson is in Philippines at a regional conference.  The NK foreign minister is also there, but Tillerson does not plan to talk with him.

• Like 2

I do feel badly for the North Korean people under the boot of that little tyranical A * * hole. They are the ones that have been forced to pay for his actions.

Doubtful that they will rise in revolt at this late date. And even if they did, they would likely not receive any outside support and be quickly brutalized.

If the past is any indicator, we would certainly not support them. At least not openly, aside from perhaps a few verbal accolades.

Why Do North Koreans Hate Us? One Reason — They Remember the Korean War.-

"....the Korean War. Remember that? The one wedged between World War II and the Vietnam War? The first “hot” war of the Cold War, which took place between 1950 and 1953, and which has since been conveniently airbrushed from most discussions and debates about the “crazy” and “insane” regime in Pyongyang?

Forgotten despite the fact that this particular war isn’t even over — it was halted by an armistice agreement, not a peace treaty — and despite the fact that the conflict saw the United States engage in numerous war crimes, which, perhaps unsurprisingly, continue to shape the way North Koreans view the United States, even if the residents of the United States remain blissfully ignorant of their country’s belligerent past.

For the record, it was the North Koreans, and not the Americans or their South Korean allies, who started the war in June 1950, when they crossed the 38th Parallel and invaded the south. Nevertheless, “What hardly any Americans know or remember,” University of Chicago historian Bruce Cumings writes in his book “The Korean War: A History,” “is that we carpet-bombed the north for three years with next to no concern for civilian casualties.”.........

....“the American air war left a deep and lasting impression” and “more than any other single factor, gave North Koreans a collective sense of anxiety and fear of outside threats, that would continue long after the war’s end.”....

https://theintercept.com/2017/05/03/why-do-north-koreans-hate-us-one-reason-they-remember-the-korean-war/

well DUH!... of course they hate us because of something they've never been allowed to forget and put behind them by their leaders. of course!

I think I just said this on another thread - - but it's worth repeating: Secretary of State Tillerson and Ambassador Haley are Moving On In Their Own Direction because they're not getting any responsible direction from the brain-dead chief executive.

HEY! He's SCOWLING at Kim Jung.....ain't THAT enough to scare him?  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

Trump promises to "bring fire and fury the likes of which the world has never seen before" to North Korea.

This could only mean a nuclear attack on NK.  We have already used the shock and awe in Iraq and that pretty much is all we have for conventional forces.

Trump promises to "bring fire and fury like the world has never seen before" to North Korea.

This could only mean a nuclear attack on NK.  We have already used the shock and awe in Iraq and that pretty much is all we have for conventional forces.

It might also mean copies of his WWF appearances.  I mean, come on man.  What the f is a beauty pageant producer doing messing with nuclear diplomacy?  What a joke.  Sad.

• Like 1

It might also mean copies of his WWF appearances.  I mean, come on man.  What the f is a beauty pageant producer doing messing with nuclear diplomacy?  What a joke.  Sad.

Yes, Trump is a joke but of course one shouldn't take the words of a clown literally.    I highly doubt the USA would use nuclear weapons on N.K. mainly because of the potential fallout that would impact surrounding countries.

So this is just another empty pile of BS from the mouth of Trump (like Mexico playing for the wall, which Trump told the President of Mexico was just an empty promise to moronic Trump supporters).

Yes, Trump is a joke but of course one shouldn't take the words of a clown literally.    I highly doubt the USA would use nuclear weapons on N.K. mainly because of the potential fallout that would impact surrounding countries.

So this is just another empty pile of BS from the mouth of Trump (like Mexico playing for the wall, which Trump told the President of Mexico was just an empty promise to moronic Trump supporters).

I agree it is highly unlikely that the Pentagon, National Security Council, etc. would go along with it.  I was trying to point out the hyperbole of Trump and his total ignorance of warfare.

Unfortunately his "moronic Trump supporters" will never understand that he does not have a clue and that eventually he will do something disastrous for the US and the world.   He is also likely to push Kim Jong-un over the edge to where he responds because of Trump's comments.

• Like 4