Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trump and North Korea

I'm comforted to know THAAD had a 100%  test score and NK will cease to exist if Pig Jong Un goes through with his threat.  I'm sick of the "end of the world" HS! 

You're comforted that millions of people will die (NK population approx. 25 million+). Good to know.

Heaven forbid our president stand up against that Asian bully.  Guess people rather have jellyfish running the country.

I'm comforted to know THAAD had a 100%  test score and NK will cease to exist if Pig Jong Un goes through with his threat.  I'm sick of the "end of the world" HS! 

There's a difference between "standing up to a bully" and using deliberately inflammatory, nuclear holocaust implying rhetoric that could backfire at the expense of millions of lives in South Korea, Guam and Japan, not to mention those living in North Korea.

It's easy for you to be sick of "end of the world" HS. Your life in not on the line now when diplomacy is the answer to avoid lives being potentially unnecessarily lost by a t i t for tat exchange of macho rhetoric which appeals to Trump's base.

• Like 1

There's a difference between "standing up to a bully" and using deliberately inflammatory, nuclear holocaust implying rhetoric that could backfire at the expense of thousands of lives in South Korea, Guam and Japan, not to mention those living in North Korea.

It's easy for you to be sick of "end of the world" HS. Your life in not in the line now when diplomacy in the answer to avoid lives being unnecessarily potentially lost by a t i t for tat exchange of macho rhetoric which appeals to Trump's base.

Tell me has diplomacy stopped NK from building up their missile and nuclear arsenal?  If the League of Nations grew a backbone and stopped Hitler during the mid 1930's, WWII may never have happened. Millions of people DIED!

Tell me has diplomacy stopped NK from building up their missile and nuclear arsenal?

No it hasn't but it is where it is now. Having a macho clown in the Oval Office (or a golf course) today rachet up the tensions with his inflammatory tough guy talk brings us potentially closer to a devastating world tragedy than we would through continuing diplomatic talks (taking place behind the scenes, though Trump's talk keeps undermining them).

No it hasn't but it is where it is now. Having a macho clown in the Oval Office (or a golf course) today rachet up the tensions with his inflammatory tough guy talk brings us potentially closer to a devastating world tragedy than we would through continuing diplomatic talks (taking place behind the scenes, though Trump's talk keeps undermining them).

It was stated on the news last night, there are backroom talks going on right now about prisoners in NK and to defuse the situation.

Weird as this may sound but I will feel a little better if China place a large troop deployment at the North Korean border as a warning not to carry out their threats. China too can help in defusing the crisis, they have a lot at stake.

Diplomacy hasn't worked and it wouldn't work now that N.K. has nukes.   If the goal is to rid N.K. of nukes the only option other than war is for the N.K. generals that are Chinese 'moles' to take out Kim.    In return China should be able to run N.K. as a 'state' and the US should ensure China that there will never be any reunification. 

Of course for folks are OK with N.K.  having nukes,   the option is simple;   back off and supply Japan and S.K. with nukes,  creating a Pakistan \ India type situation. 

Tell me has diplomacy stopped NK from building up their missile and nuclear arsenal? If the League of Nations grew a backbone and stopped Hitler during the mid 1930's, WWII may never have happened. Millions of people DIED!

Not only would billions, yes billions, of people be killed and horribly burned, maimed, and wounded in a nuclear war.

But use of nuclear weapons could destroy some of the Earth to make it uninhabitable.

This is no time to have a pathological, lying, narcissistic, superficial, egotistical, bigoted, IGNORANT man as president.

If the worst happens, it will be upon the heads of the people who perpetrated this man into the Oval Office.

As for myself, my conscience and my hands are clean.

Not only would billions, yes billions, of people be killed and horribly burned, maimed, and wounded in a nuclear war.

But use of nuclear weapons could destroy some of the Earth to make it uninhabitable.

This is no time to have a pathological, lying, narcissistic, superficial, egotistical, bigoted, IGNORANT man as president.

If the worst happens, it will be upon the heads of the people who perpetrated this man into the Oval Office.

As for myself, my conscience and my hands are clean.

Wow, I didn't know NK had THAT many nukes!

Wow, I didn't know NK had THAT many nukes!

What I find odd,  is the complaints about Trump using over-the-top rhetoric (which he is because he is an immature, egotistical,  moron),  tend to also use over-the-top rhetoric;   e.g.   WWIII,   billions killed.

What I find odd, is the complaints about Trump using over-the-top rhetoric (which he is because he is an immature, egotistical, moron), tend to also use over-the-top rhetoric; e.g. WWIII, billions killed.

The next time I go to Nagasaki I'm going to take you with me.

China and Russia do. When you start something you don't know where it's going to end.

Why would they fire nukes?  Russia are no longer communist and have no interest in protecting NK. OMG if China does where are they going to sell their junk??  Talk about cutting one's own economic throat!

071cdf864ceff743791dafea3b491fa3.jpg

Edited by hamradio

The next time I go to Nagasaki I'm going to take you with me.

I've been there and had relatives that were killed by the bombings (my mom is Japanese).

As Ham noted Russia or China are NOT going to join N.K. in a war against the USA.   

So I stand by my post;  implying a war with N.K. would result in WWIII or BILLIONS of deaths is over-the-top rhetoric.

(and I also stand by my comments that Trump is an immature, egotistical,  moron and full of over-the-top rhetoric that isn't helping the situation, but in fact inflaming it).

So I stand by my post;  implying a war with N.K. would result in WWIII or BILLIONS of deaths is over-the-top rhetoric.

As Russia and China are unlikely to engage, the death toll would not necessarily reach that high. But if we were to "wipe North Korea off the map" as many Trumpers are calling for, the loss of life could easily be in the hundreds of millions. Other than the populations of North and South Korea (if we were to completely destroy NK there is no way SK would not also be virtually destroyed or at least be made uninhabitable), the radiation would drift along the coast of the Sea of Japan, causing widespread illness in Japan and coastal China. The fishing industry in that part of the Pacific, which provides food for that area, would also be decimated, resulting in widespread famine and disease. Since Japan and coastal China are among the most densely populated places on Earth, the effects of rampant disease and radiation would be even more devastating. Important Chinese metropolitan areas such as Tianjin and even as far south as Shanghai would be effected. 

And all of this would naturally cause chaos in the Asian economies, the ripple effect of which would stretch across the globe, destabilizing markets, causing crashes, and leading to widespread financial losses, which then lead to more poverty and their attendant hunger, disease, and increase in crime. 

And all of that is without considering a single missile strike on our soil.

So when I read some people say "just wipe 'em off the face of the planet", it's not just cruel and immoral, it's stupid and short-sighted.

As to your point, maybe billions is stretching it, but hundred of millions is easily foreseeable. What's the cut-off number for acceptable death tolls, anyway?

• Like 5

I've been there and had relatives that were killed by the bombings (my mom is Japanese).

As Ham noted Russia or China are NOT going to join N.K. in a war against the USA.   

My understanding is that if NK strikes first they are on their own but if the US attacks NK first then China will come to their aid as they did before.

Has anyone been following the escalating India-China conflict? They've had a border dispute for many years, and it has recently threatened to go hot, with a lot of rhetoric and troop movements near the disputed area. Now, if we and NK get into a battle, will India take that as a cue to try and take control of that area militarily while China is distracted by the events on their NE border? What would China's response be? If China felt legitimately threatened on both borders, would they use their nuclear capabilities, or would India use theirs in the face of China's ground force superiority? How would Pakistan react to a weakened India?

All of these factors have to be considered militarily and diplomatically by the US and other nations, as things could escalate into a WW3 in that area, and seeing as how the population of Asia is nearly 5 billion, the ramifications are staggering.

• Like 1

One analysis of the what-ifs of NK vs. US.  Presents four different scenarios.  An attack of any kind on NK will probably be perceived by Kim and NK generals as an attempt at regime change.  Leading to as massive a retaliation as they can muster.

James mentioned the NK generals that are actually Chinese "moles."  I hadn't heard that, but by this time, the generals are tied to the Kim regime.  If he goes, they go.

www.washingtonpost.com/politics/gaming-out-the-north-korea-crisis-how-the-conflict-might-escalate/2017/08/10/06d0207a-7ddc-11e7-a669-b400c5c7e1cc_story.html?utm_term=.8d0e8d71292d&wpisrc=nl_politics&wpmm=1

China has said if NK attacks US, they will not get involved, but if US attacks NK, then China is involved and will support its ally on its border.

Meanwhile Afghanistan is heating up.

What is the problem with NK having nuclear weapons, just for conversation?  India and Pakistan and Israel have them, and who knows who else.  NK has an overwhelming fear of attack by the US and SK and have ever since the Korean War.  May be unfounded, but it is there anyway.

• Like 2

What is the problem with NK having nuclear weapons, just for conversation? 

That reality will be increasingly accepted, I suspect, including by the U.S. government.

Bernie Sanders talks to the former secretary of defense William J Perry, .....

Perry:.....(Kim's) His main objective is to stay in power. We have to understand, that’s what he’s trying to achieve. Our understanding and our goal would be to lower the danger from the nuclear weapons and, eventually, to eliminate them.

I think its possible to achieve that. It will require some teaming with China.......

We need to offer both carrots and sticks.

We and our allies, Japan and South Korea, have many carrots to offer. South Korea and Japan have both offered economic incentives in the past, and would be willing to offer them again. The US could offer security assurances. That doesn’t cost anything, but it’s something we could offer.

The sticks would have to come from China, which would be cutting off the trade they have. They would not do that by themselves. As part of a package, we might be able to persuade them to do it......

Perry: North Korea (in 1994) had a nuclear facility at a place called Yongbyon. They were processing plutonium. Had they completed that processing, they would have had enough plutonium to build six nuclear bombs.

We were determined that they should not do that. We confronted them and we threatened them with military action. We offered them economic incentives. A combination of that led to the agreement known as the Agreed Framework which, for at least a period of seven to eight years, stopped the program...

That involves some very sophisticated diplomacy. First and foremost, in forming some sort of a team with China, where we agree on what the objectives are, we agree on what the carrots and sticks we are going to offer them.

If we can put together that diplomatic package, then we have a great chance at succeeding.

But there is a big “if”, there. It requires us dealing constructively and intelligently with China, to make them see we have the same objectives and are trying to achieve the same thing....

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jul/19/bernie-sanders-show-podcast-william-j-perry-north-korea

• Like 1

There's a difference between "standing up to a bully" and using deliberately inflammatory, nuclear holocaust implying rhetoric that could backfire at the expense of millions of lives in South Korea, Guam and Japan, not to mention those living in North Korea.

It's easy for you to be sick of "end of the world" HS. Your life in not on the line now when diplomacy is the answer to avoid lives being potentially unnecessarily lost by a t i t for tat exchange of macho rhetoric which appeals to Trump's base.

I'm reminded of the bitter words of Robert Conway in Lost Horizon when he's commended for saving 90 white British and American citizens:  "Hooray for us. Ha-ha. Did you say that we left ten thousand natives down there to be annihilated? No. No, you wouldn't say that."  Somehow the High Lama's speech in that movie seems more prophetic than ever, in a sad and scary way.

• Like 1

Huntley_Brinkley_Report_Chet_Huntley_DavHere at NBC we have a different way of gathering the news. We don't have reporters, we just have people call in and whenever we have enough for twenty five minutes of news we go on the air.

you trump haters are scared that trump will meet the NK threat head on...and solve it!

proving that all this bs about diplomacy from the democrats since the vietnam era was just a cowardly lack of resolve and basic human courage.