Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Alec Baldwin to host 'The Essentials' starting May 6

Barton_Keyes

Oscar-nominated actor Alec Baldwin, formerly the late Robert Osborne's co-host on The Essentials and currently the Donald Trump impersonator of record on Saturday Night Live, will return to TCM hosting a revamped version of The Essentials beginning on Saturday, May 6.

header-private-screenings-robert-osborne

Baldwin will be joined by a rotating series of special guest co-hosts, including former Late Show host David Letterman (in May and June), Baldwin's fellow 30 Rock and SNL alum Tina Fey (in June and July) and director William Friedkin (in August and September).

Alec-Baldwin-Late-Show-2.jpg

Alec Baldwin and David Letterman, pictured here on The Late Show on April 17, 2015, will co-host the first four weeks of the new season of TCM's Essentials beginning May 6, 2017.

B_dMgq3WIAAvMgx.jpg

Alec Baldwin's former 30 Rock co-star Tina Fey, pictured above with Robert Osborne during her appearance as TCM's guest programmer in December 2015, will join Baldwin to co-host The Essentials in July and August

crumptcm.jpg

Director William Friedkin (THE FRENCH CONNECTION, THE EXORCIST) in conversation with TCM's Eddie Muller at the 2014 TCM Classic Film Festival in Hollywood. Friedkin will co-host the new season of The Essentials with Alec Baldwin in August and September.

For more, visit: http://essentials.tcm.com/

Oscar-nominated actor Alec Baldwin, formerly the late Robert Osborne's co-host on The Essentials and currently the Donald Trump impersonator of record on Saturday Night Live, will return to TCM hosting a revamped version of The Essentials beginning on Saturday, May 6.

header-private-screenings-robert-osborne

Baldwin will be joined by a rotating series of special guest co-hosts, including former Late Show host David Letterman (in May and June), Baldwin's fellow 30 Rock and SNL alum Tina Fey (in June and July) and director William Friedkin (in August and September).

Alec-Baldwin-Late-Show-2.jpg

Alec Baldwin and David Letterman, pictured here on The Late Show on April 17, 2015, will co-host the first four weeks of the new season of TCM's Essentials beginning May 6, 2017.

B_dMgq3WIAAvMgx.jpg

Alec Baldwin's former 30 Rock co-star Tina Fey, pictured above with Robert Osborne during her appearance as TCM's guest programmer in December 2015, will join Baldwin to co-host The Essentials in July and August

crumptcm.jpg

Director William Friedkin (THE FRENCH CONNECTION, THE EXORCIST) in conversation with TCM's Eddie Muller at the 2014 TCM Classic Film Festival in Hollywood. Friedkin will co-host the new season of The Essentials with Alec Baldwin in August and September.

For more, visit: http://essentials.tcm.com/

So, on a given Saturday night, you may see Alec hosting the Essentials, and then portraying Donald Trump on SNL. Bizarre. And Trump is certainly not essential.

I always thought that TCM has continued an Essentials lineup on Saturday evenings in everything but name. Recent showings of BOOMERANG and THE MAN IN THE GREY FLANNEL SUIT could definitely fit the bill, with the remainder of the prime time lineup movies related in some form to the lead-in film. All that was missing was Robert Osborne and a guest host to discuss the chosen film.

Baldwin has a long connection to this series, so he is a good choice imho

More political hosts.

Osborne was a political host based on how little minded people like you define this.

Osborne was gay and we all know how those people try to push their political agenda on others.    :blink:

To be human is to be political.

Baldwin is an excellent choice because he was mentored and greatly respected by Robert Osborne.

I agree.    But I do understand that a host for a station like TCM (or say ESPN) shouldn't get too political;  To me it comes down to how one defines being too political. 

E.g.   This week while Ben was discussing character actors and the Cagney\Davis film The Bride Came C.O.D.,  Ben mentioned Eugene Pallette,  the character actor being featured.  

Well Ben mentioned the despicable acts Pallette did related to his treatment of blacks.  E.g. while shooting another film Pallette refused to shoot it because he didn't wish to be in the scene with a black person and that Pallette was replaced in that film.     Now that was political commentary because Ben called what Pallette did despicable.   Hey, to some what Pallette did was A-OK and therefore shouldn't have been singled out as being negative.

NOW,  I don't think Ben was being too political but of course I know a few folks at this forum that would completely disagree with me and feel that Ben shouldn't have made those comments about Pallette.    

For fans, there is the Rewind button.  For the rest, there is the Fast Forward.  Just leave the ******** out of it.

Do we look political?

Grumpy-Men-560.jpg

Geeze one can't pun Grumpy Old Men (man) lookalikes. :( 

I agree.    But I do understand that a host for a station like TCM (or say ESPN) shouldn't get too political;  To me it comes down to how one defines being too political. 

E.g.   This week while Ben was discussing character actors and the Cagney\Davis film The Bride Came C.O.D.,  Ben mentioned Eugene Pallette,  the character actor being featured.  

Well Ben mentioned the despicable acts Pallette did related to his treatment of blacks.  E.g. while shooting another film Pallette refused to shoot it because he didn't wish to be in the scene with a black person and that Pallette was replaced in that film.     Now that was political commentary because Ben called what Pallette did despicable.   Hey, to some what Pallette did was A-OK and therefore shouldn't have been singled out as being negative.

NOW,  I don't think Ben was being too political but of course I know a few folks at this forum that would completely disagree with me and feel that Ben shouldn't have made those comments about Pallette.    

I have to wonder if there are any posters here who regard that Pallette anecdote of Ben's as being too political? To me it's reflection of Pallette's bigotry. How does that make it political?

I have to wonder if there are any posters here who regard that Pallette anecdote of Ben's as being too political? To me it's reflection of Pallette's bigotry. How does that make it political?

That's digging deep, it doesn't.  A social issue, more likely. 

Another forum I frequent identifies three areas of contention, and flat out bans their use in the FAQ:  No Politics, No Religion, and no Social Issues.  It is one of the most civil forums I have ever been on.

Good.  Alec Baldwin is perfect. Topical, contemporary, clever with a respect for the arts as well as the people.  Has always been a great fit for TCM, pour the man a drink and welcome him back.

Dear TCM, while you're at it:  BRING. BACK. DREW. BARRYMORE.  Thanks.

Racism among Hollywood stars could be a whole new feature - -

The Stars represented spectrums of every Walk of Life in America.

But if you really wanted to start at the top of racist stars, we would have to begin with John Wayne and Walter Brennan.

However, features like these could be interesting in terms of taking different aspects of stars personalities and interests.

And it just wouldn't have to be something negative like racism, there could be positive aspects, as well.

while shooting another film Pallette refused to shoot it because he didn't wish to be in the scene with a black person

Apparently this was often common practice.

In an interview, Juanita Moore stated several white actors refused to be shot in the same frame with her because of her color! And when she did a film with Rita Hayworth, Hayworth was one of the few who not only shared the screen with Moore, but actually spoke with her.

Apparently, Rita received similar treatment because she was Hispanic.

Despicable. Almost unbelievable.

That photo of Baldwin as Trump is hilarious.

Has anyone ever said what film it was in which Pallette refused to appear in the same shot with a black performer? Because I immediately in my mind get images of Pallette having to interact with black porters in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (who stick him with the luggage!) and with black servants in Heaven Can Wait, so clearly, there was a time in his life when was willing to do it.

Archived