Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Alec Baldwin to host 'The Essentials' starting May 6

the above are especially bad choices. feel free to correct me here, but some of them have been featured five or six times over the years.

I rest my case. There just aren't many worthy films left that haven't yet been featured. So the choice is featuring THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL for the third time, or featuring CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC for the first time.

the above are especially bad choices. feel free to correct me here, but some of them have been featured five or six times over the years.

Are they bad choices because of their frequency,  or because possibly you don't like them?

Sepiatone

SNORE. I wont be watching............

Are they bad choices because of their frequency,  or because possibly you don't like them?

Sepiatone

no, purely frequency.

EDIT- Wait,now that i see the list i will say that i don't like ALL ABOUT EVE and i don't think THE QUIET MAN is a good essential, because it's an acquired taste, not for everyone. i also am just not that "into" THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL; not sure I'd say GILDA is essential either...

I think a viable alternative could've been found for each of these.

Given the definition of "essential", you'd have to wonder to whom or WHAT the chosen films are "essential" TO?

Their influence on the methods of film making?

The "message" they convey?

The subject matter and the way it's presented to the public?

That the movies so raised public awareness of a particular social issue as to cause much needed reform?

Or that they corrected long held preconceptions by presenting fact with relevant storytelling?

What IS the aim of this program?

Sepiatone

Sepiatone

i don't think anyone knows anymore.

i guess some would say "to bring new people to classic film" but the result is the exact opposite. many of these films they choose don't have crossover appeal and they definitely REPEL (many of) us regular TCM viewers/ aficianados because WE. HAVE. SEEN. THEM. ALL. a thousand times.

there are SO MANY FILMS OUT THERE that should be included as "essentials" because they:

1. (may) convert newbies into classic movie fans

2. continue the education of intermediates

and

3. toss us hardcore classic fans who've "seen everything" a curve every now and then by showing us something "off the radar."

at this point, they need to just rename this show Same Old ****, because it's so counterproductive to what TCM is all about.

• Like 1

no, purely frequency.

EDIT- Wait,now that i see the list i will say that i don't like ALL ABOUT EVE and i don't think THE QUIET MAN is a good essential, because it's an acquired taste, not for everyone. i also am just not that "into" THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL; not sure I'd say GILDA is essential either...

I think a viable alternative could've been found for each of these.

You DONT like All About Eve???

The real Essential movies are the ones that are rarely played, and this is what they should have programmed. None of the hosts can say anything to change the minds of people that have seen this list more times than the political hosts have.

tcm dam well knows that baldwin is only gonna choose stuff that tcm has already beaten into the groud ad infinitum.

this is tcm and their hollywood buddies and buddettes passing off what they like as somehow being what we wanna see.

they are assigning their preferences to us and thatz BS!

they doan care!...and maybe they never did.

they like their own washed out print of frenchman's creek???

no. they just doan care...why doan they put on washington: behind closed doors or will: g. gordon liddy?

"lets just wait for a while and see what happens." -macready, the thing

You DONT like All About Eve???

yeah, i've brought it up 1,000 times, and it's a good example of a film that has deteriorated in stature for me largely because it has been an Essential Perennial (and has appeared in prime hours and as part of spotlights numerous, numerous times)

it's a film that really does not hold up well on repeated viewings- the disappearance of Thelma Ritter; the pretentious and slightly didactic nature of the dialogue, the notion that someone with NO EXPERIENCE OR TRAINING would go on to an instant headlining stage career, the third act, Anne Baxter's performance- there's a lot I don't like about it.

• Like 1

Given the definition of "essential", you'd have to wonder to whom or WHAT the chosen films are "essential" TO?

Their influence on the methods of film making?

The "message" they convey?

The subject matter and the way it's presented to the public?

That the movies so raised public awareness of a particular social issue as to cause much needed reform?

Or that they corrected long held preconceptions by presenting fact with relevant storytelling?

Sepiatone

Probably, to give people who haven't seen a lot of classic movies and don't have the time to watch a lot of them, a short-cut to a solid grounding in what classic movies are all about.

• Like 2

The Essentials is a high profile Saturday evening attempt to lure younger or new viewers into the TCM orbit with an introduction to a "classic" film. It is not designed for hard core film buffs, most of whom have probably already seen 90% of the product in that time slot on more than a few occasions. Therefore I don't understand why more film knowledgeable posters go on here about the Essentials repeats.

And, since The Essentials only occupies a two hour time slot in a week that may, on occasion, offer rarer films elsewhere, what's the big deal?

Far more exasperating to me than anything regarding The Essentials are those occasions when TCM will announce a genuinely rare film (ie. Trick for Trick (1933), Lilac Time (1928) or The Desert Song (1929), for example, all within the past year) and then cancel them without a word of explanation.

• Like 5

I rest my case. There just aren't many worthy films left that haven't yet been featured. So the choice is featuring THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL for the third time, or featuring CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC for the first time.

Okay, two things:

1. YOU SHUT YER DANG DIRTY MOUTH ABOUT "CANT STOP THE MUSIC"!!!!!! What do YOU HAVEAGAINST NANCY WALKER!?!?!?! Why don't you JUSTFIND OUT WHERE SHE IS BURIED DIG HER UP AND DUMP HERBODY OUT OnTHE GROUND and BE DONE WITH YOUR NANCY WALKER ISSUES ONCE and for all!!!!!!

Jk

And

2. See, I hate that this continuous going back to the same well for the same titles for every season of "the essentials " gives this impression that there's nothing new out there, that pretty much every interesting classic movie thats worth your time Is on this list of these 30 or 40 titles.

There are hundreds of worthy films out there. They just don't get included

• Like 3

How some posters love to REPEATEDLY blather on about repeats during The Essentials!

Last time I counted TCM is on the air 168 hours a week, of which The Essentials comprise exactly 2.

Have you never looked at the other 166 hours to see if there is something new on then? Must it be something new during The Essentials when TCM is clearly concentrating upon trying to lure new viewers to their channel, and have decided, I assume, these are the best old films that may turn the trick?

So what if their selection of films then is limited to 40 or 50 or whatever? Why snap a garter belt getting indignant about it when you have the rest of their schedule to view?

Some people just love to moan!

• Like 5

I agree.    But I do understand that a host for a station like TCM (or say ESPN) shouldn't get too political;  To me it comes down to how one defines being too political. 

E.g.   This week while Ben was discussing character actors and the Cagney\Davis film The Bride Came C.O.D.,  Ben mentioned Eugene Pallette,  the character actor being featured.  

Well Ben mentioned the despicable acts Pallette did related to his treatment of blacks.  E.g. while shooting another film Pallette refused to shoot it because he didn't wish to be in the scene with a black person and that Pallette was replaced in that film.     Now that was political commentary because Ben called what Pallette did despicable.   Hey, to some what Pallette did was A-OK and therefore shouldn't have been singled out as being negative.

NOW,  I don't think Ben was being too political but of course I know a few folks at this forum that would completely disagree with me and feel that Ben shouldn't have made those comments about Pallette.    

I don't see how commenting that a rabidly racist actor who actually refused to act in the same scene as a black person is "despicable" amounts to being political.  Shirley no matter what else Americans disagree about, they are all repelled by such a blatant display of racism. The times Pallette grew up in is no excuse.

• Like 2

Shirley no matter what else Americans disagree about, they are all repelled by such a blatant display of racism. 

I wouldn't say "all". I would say most. But lately, I even wonder if that word may be too optimistic. 

"And don't call me Shirley."

• Like 1

Obviously Eugene Pallette's refusal to work with a black actor did not apply to all occasions. In fact what was probably his most hilarious scene in Heaven Can Wait had him memorably  playing off character actor Clarence Muse (as well as Marjorie Main).

Remember the scene, with Pallette and Main at their long breakfast table, playing a middle aged married couple (Gene Tierney's parents incredibly, who doesn't see the resemblance?) who refused to speak to one another directly and would only communicate to each other through their man servant, Jasper?

eugenepallette.jpg

• Like 1

Robert Mitchum refused the lead in THE DEFIANT ONES because he wouldn't work with a black actor.

No, that's a rumour that Tony Curtis started, not sure why. Being a fan of Mitchum's, I was disappointed to hear this, so I researched it a little and discovered that it wasn't true.

• Like 1

How some posters love to REPEATEDLY blather on about repeats during The Essentials!

Last time I counted TCM is on the air 168 hours a week, of which The Essentials comprise exactly 2.

Have you never looked at the other 166 hours to see if there is something new on then? Must it be something new during The Essentials when TCM is clearly concentrating upon trying to lure new viewers to their channel, and have decided, I assume, these are the best old films that may turn the trick?

So what if their selection of films then is limited to 40 or 50 or whatever? Why snap a garter belt getting indignant about it when you have the rest of their schedule to view?

Some people just love to moan!

About 1.2%.  Small enough to be a rounding error.  As long as they don't hose up the other 98.8%.  I'm in the Rarities camp.

copied and pasted from THE ESSENTIALS 2017 thread:

the line up:

THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL ('52)

EAST OF EDEN ('55)

GILDA ('46)

NO TIME FOR SERGEANTS ('58)

BRIEF ENCOUNTER ('45)

THE LOST WEEKEND ('45)

THE BIG SLEEP ('46)

Hosted by Alec Baldwin and Tina Fey:

REAR WINDOW ('54)

THE LADY EVE ('41)

BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN ('35)

WOMAN OF THE YEAR ('42)

ALL ABOUT EVE ('50)

SOME LIKE IT HOT ('59)

SINGIN' IN THE RAIN ('52)

Hosted by Alec Baldwin and William Friedkin:

THE QUIET MAN ('52)

THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE ('62)

WHITE HEAT ('49)

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY ('68)

BULLITT ('68)

THE BAND WAGON ('53)

THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE ('48)

LornaHansonForbes wrote:

"i'm a little disappointed that they're showing the same old same old same old same old same old as "Essentials."  "

Hmm, judging by that list, I'd have to say you've got that straight, Lorna. Off-hand, I'm tempted to say almost all of the above have been aired as "Essentials" already. Some of them several times.

no, purely frequency.

EDIT- Wait,now that i see the list i will say that i don't like ALL ABOUT EVE ....

Wow, Lorna....for some reason I would have thought that you'd like All About Eve. I'm  surprised you don't.

Edit:  Oops, I did it again. I've got to stop posting on threads before I've read the whole thing. Of course right after I posted the above, I read Hibi's asking you the same thing I just did, and your reply:

"yeah, i've brought it up 1,000 times, and it's a good example of a film that has deteriorated in stature for me largely because it has been an Essential Perennial (and has appeared in prime hours and as part of spotlights numerous, numerous times)

it's a film that really does not hold up well on repeated viewings- the disappearance of Thelma Ritter; the pretentious and slightly didactic nature of the dialogue, the notion that someone with NO EXPERIENCE OR TRAINING would go on to an instant headlining stage career, the third act, Anne Baxter's performance- there's a lot I don't like about it. "

Good points, all, Lorna. (Except for the part about Anne Baxter's performance - I like her in it.)