Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Alec Baldwin to host 'The Essentials' starting May 6

..... See, I hate that this continuous going back to the same well for the same titles for every season of "the essentials " gives this impression that there's nothing new out there, that pretty much every interesting classic movie thats worth your time Is on this list of these 30 or 40 titles.

There are hundreds of worthy films out there. They just don't get included

Yes yes yes.

How some posters love to REPEATEDLY blather on about repeats during The Essentials!

Last time I counted TCM is on the air 168 hours a week, of which The Essentials comprise exactly 2.

Have you never looked at the other 166 hours to see if there is something new on then? Must it be something new during The Essentials when TCM is clearly concentrating upon trying to lure new viewers to their channel, and have decided, I assume, these are the best old films that may turn the trick?

So what if their selection of films then is limited to 40 or 50 or whatever? Why snap a garter belt getting indignant about it when you have the rest of their schedule to view?

Some people just love to moan!

Right, Tom, I see what you're getting at.

However, for some people, (like my husband and me), Saturday night is our main movie-watching time. It's more fun to relax and tune in to TCM knowing you don't have to go to work the next day. 

I like to think I'm not one of those people who constantly complain about TCM's faults ( I mean, I love TCM !), but if there is one thing that does bother me a bit, it is the tendency they have to air movies I'm really interested in at awkward times (like the middle of the night. Or 6 in the morning.)  I would love it if some of those rare films were aired during the "Essentials" time slot of Saturday night.

(Of course, I'm very old-school and tend to watch TCM in real time. I am aware that many if not most viewers record whatever they're interested in and watch it later at their convenience....makes sense.)

• Like 1

Interesting thread/comments.  

Earlier this afternoon I was looking at bestselling novels of the 1940s (data from Publishers Weekly). Almost every bestseller was made into a big budget film by a Hollywood studio, and a lot of these seem to be ones the TCM programmers like to pick as Essentials. So I think there's a strong connection between essential reading and essential movie watching. Take a look:

1940 - HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY; KITTY FOYLE; MRS. MINIVER; FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS; THE GRAPES OF WRATH

1941 - THE KEYS OF THE KINGDOM; RANDOM HARVEST; THIS ABOVE ALL; H.M. PULHAM ESQ.; SARATOGA TRUNK

1942 - DRAGON SEED; THE SONG OF BERNADETTE; AND NOW TOMORROW; THE ROBE; KINGS ROW

1943 - THE HUMAN COMEDY; THE VALLEY OF DECISION; MRS. PARKINGTON; HUNGRY HILL

1944 - A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN; FOREVER AMBER; THE GREEN YEARS; THE RAZOR'S EDGE; GREEN DOLPHIN STREET; LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN; A BELL FOR ADANO

1945 - SO WELL REMEMBERED; THE BLACK ROSE; THE WHITE TOWER; A LION IS IN THE STREETS; CAPTAIN FROM CASTILE; CASS TIMBERLANE

1946 - THE MIRACLE OF THE BELLS; THE HUCKSTERS; ARCH OF TRIUMPH; THE FOXES OF HARROW; THE SNAKE PIT; B.F.'S DAUGHTER

1947 - GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT; LYDIA BAILEY; THE WAYWARD BUS; EAST SIDE WEST SIDE; PRINCE OF FOXES

1948 - THE BIG FISHERMAN; RAINTREE COUNTY; THE NAKED AND THE DEAD; THE GOLDEN HAWK; THE YOUNG LIONS

1949 - THE EGYPTIAN; FATHER OF THE BRIDE

you is one funny poster, Monsieur Vautrin.

Meersee bokoo. This would work too because Gordo had a thing

for proving how tough he was by holding his hand over some

kind of flame. In the weird world of Watergate characters, Liddy

still stands out.

How some posters love to REPEATEDLY blather on about repeats during The Essentials!

Last time I counted TCM is on the air 168 hours a week, of which The Essentials comprise exactly 2.

Have you never looked at the other 166 hours to see if there is something new on then? Must it be something new during The Essentials when TCM is clearly concentrating upon trying to lure new viewers to their channel, and have decided, I assume, these are the best old films that may turn the trick?

So what if their selection of films then is limited to 40 or 50 or whatever? Why snap a garter belt getting indignant about it when you have the rest of their schedule to view?

Some people just love to moan!

Thank you Tom.  This is what I always think when people complain.  Seriously, it's one movie out of an entire week! Watch something else! I guess I approach movies differently, I have movies I love and I will watch them over and over again.  So if they're repeating again, it doesn't bother me.  On Thursday, I tuned into TCM (real time mind you) and my favorite movie, The Long Long Trailer was just starting.  I have probably seen this film 100 times (not exaggerating), but I love it so much, I watched it again.  I think I watched it the last two times it aired on TCM.  I love the film and never tire of it.  I watched Picnic twice last week, because I love it so much.  

I completely agree with you re: the objective of The Essentials.  TCM needs to get NEW viewers.  While they do need to cater to their current viewers, they need to get new viewers too, otherwise, the channel won't grow and evolve.  Showing Casablanca or Singin in the Rain or The Maltese Falcon will attract the new viewers.  Showing some random B-list starring no-name actor from 1940 movie will not attract new viewers.  TCM needs to keep showing the quintessential classics so that they can recruit new viewers.  Just because you have already seen the film ten times doesn't mean that Mr. Joe New TCM Viewer or Mrs. Suzy New TCM Viewer has seen it. I still haven't seen many of the "classics" that are touted year after year.

I still haven't seen Gone With the Wind or The Best Years of Our Lives or The Sound of Music.  Yes, I said it. 

• Like 5

Probably, to give people who haven't seen a lot of classic movies and don't have the time to watch a lot of them, a short-cut to a solid grounding in what classic movies are all about.

Hell.  We HERE haven't even been able to settle the matter of what MAKES any movie a "classic", so I don't see the program as being much help in that respect.  ;)

But to SPEED-----

Good point!   For instance, I know a LOT of old jokes that many would say "have whiskers".  But there ARE many at an age who haven't heard them, so they're as new as fresh snow to THEM.  Another example.....

I watch a lot of "classic" TV shows on AntennaTV and MeTV.  And there's sometimes much younger family members who drop over to visit my semi-invalid wife, who's their "Aunt La-La".  Recently, a 21 year old grandnephew told me HE'S now "hooked" on THE RIFLEMAN  from first watching an episode that was on during one of his visits!  B)

Sepiatone

• Like 3

1. Wow, Lorna....for some reason I would have thought that you'd like All About Eve. I'm  surprised you don't. Edit:  Oops, I did it again. I've got to stop posting on threads before I've read the whole thing. Of course right after I posted the above, I read Hibi's asking you the same thing I just did, and your reply:

2. Good points, all, Lorna. (Except for the part about Anne Baxter's performance - I like her in it.)

1. HA! I know, right? I also don't really like CAGED all that much, which surprises me because it seems like a movie I would like. I'm always been "Eh" About EVE, ever since I first saw it ca. age 12 or 13.

2. And I kinda sorta like Anne Baxter in it too- she's one who certainly gives you your five bits worth in everything she's in, ain't she? I just wish she was working with a director who knew when to restrain actors from going ooooooout there, which- bless her heart- Anne Baxter could do from time to time and she DEFINITELY DOES IT in EVE. aND WHILE part of me is always going to love wig-ripping and sneering, Baxter's wig-ripping and sneering take EVE off the rails in the third act.

• Like 1

Recently, a 21 year old grandnephew told me HE'S now "hooked" on THE RIFLEMAN  from first watching an episode that was on during one of his visits!  B)

this one is always on when i visit my great uncle.

small world huh?

i love the opening, when the camera pans along with Chuck Connors walking straight through the center of town blasting his Winchester '92 six times in rapid succession, and then he looks dead into the camera like "the ****  do YOU want?"

he needs to ditch that kid though, he is forevermore getting them into nothing BUT trouble.

Right, Tom, I see what you're getting at.

However, for some people, (like my husband and me), Saturday night is our main movie-watching time. It's more fun to relax and tune in to TCM knowing you don't have to go to work the next day. 

I like to think I'm not one of those people who constantly complain about TCM's faults ( I mean, I love TCM !), but if there is one thing that does bother me a bit, it is the tendency they have to air movies I'm really interested in at awkward times (like the middle of the night. Or 6 in the morning.)  I would love it if some of those rare films were aired during the "Essentials" time slot of Saturday night.

(Of course, I'm very old-school and tend to watch TCM in real time. I am aware that many if not most viewers record whatever they're interested in and watch it later at their convenience....makes sense.)

MissW, I realize I'm not saying something to you that you don't already know but getting a recorder (take your pick a PVR, a DVD recorder or even an old VCR, I guess - I have a DVD recorder myself) is wonderfully FREEING. You no longer have to be concerned if a rare film you'd love to see comes on at an awkward time slot for you. Afterwards you can do your own scheduling, not have to rely on whatever it is that TCM decides to air at a time in the day when you feel like settling down to watch a film.

tumblr_mretnqIyFj1qazanuo1_1280.jpg

"Free . . . FREE!

Free to watch a movie whenever I WANT! . . .  I do the programming in my home, not some TCM programmer!

All thanks to buying that DVD recorder. I'm so grateful to Tom for taking his advice. He was right - again. Nobody should EVER question his wisdom!"

(Okay, okay, I guess I got a little carried away with those last few lines).

• Like 2

this one is always on when i visit my great uncle.

small world huh?

i love the opening, when the camera pans along with Chuck Connors walking straight through the center of town blasting his Winchester '92 six times in rapid succession, and then he looks dead into the camera like "the ****  do YOU want?"

he needs to ditch that kid though, he is forevermore getting them into nothing BUT trouble.

Oh, YEAH!  That modified Winchester .40-,44  '92!  As kids we thought the REAL "star" of the show was that rifle.  They made toy replicas of it.  Quite costly for those times at least.  You were KING OF THE  BLOCK if you had one of those in MY 'hood!  ;)

But, nobody even now questions him having an 1892 rifle in a series that took place around 1882.

But MY big "wish list" item was the holster and cap gun toy replica of the one PALADIN used in "Have Gun, Will Travel".  Even had that little hidden holster in the buckle that held a toy replica of the derringer he used, too.  :)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

.....But, nobody even now questions him having an 1892 rifle in a series that took place around 1882.

Really ? I know this is incredibly trivial, and - full disclosure - I've never even watched "The Riffleman" or whatever it's called -but I'm pretty sure almost nobody except a cultural historian would notice the difference on a tv show (or any kind of show) between 1892 and 1882.

Oh, YEAH!  That modified Winchester .40-,44  '92!  As kids we thought the REAL "star" of the show was that rifle.  They made toy replicas of it.  Quite costly for those times at least.  You were KING OF THE  BLOCK if you had one of those in MY 'hood!  ;)

But, nobody even now questions him having an 1892 rifle in a series that took place around 1882.

But MY big "wish list" item was the holster and cap gun toy replica of the one PALADIN used in "Have Gun, Will Travel".  Even had that little hidden holster in the buckle that held a toy replica of the derringer he used, too.  :)

Sepiatone

YOU noticed that it was an 1892 rifle? Your list of hobbies known no limits.

some men just know their guns.

FYI:

(copy/pasted from the wiki entry for the Winchester 92):

Popular culture

220px-The_searchers_Ford_Trailer_screens

John Wayne aims a Model 92 rifle in The Searchers (1956).

Although the Model 1892 made its debut after the closing of the American frontier, and the true "Guns that Won the West" were the earlier Models 1866 and 1873, nonetheless the '92 became an indelible icon of Western mythology through its use in hundreds of motion pictures and television shows, standing in for its older siblings. John Wayne famously carried Model 92s in dozens of films and owned several personally, some with the distinctive oversized "loop" lever. Other notable screen 92s were those of Chuck Connors in The Rifleman TV series, and Steve McQueen's "Mare's Leg" in Wanted: Dead or Alive.[5]

Hollywood studios purchased the '92 in quantity because it was in regular production (until World War II) but looked sufficiently like Old West Winchesters to substitute for valuable antiques, and because in calibers .44-40 and .38-40 it could fire, together with the Colt Single Action Army "Peacemaker" revolver, the standard Five-in-One blank cartridge. This latter practice mirrored the real cowboys, who found it convenient to carry a rifle and a revolver chambered with the same ammunition.[citation needed]

Sepiatone

Really hate to tell you this sort'a thing again Sepia, but once again this lucky kid here had BOTH the toy replica of the Rifleman's shootin' iron of choice AND that Paladin gun set when he was roaming the streets of suburban L.A. back in the early-'60s.

(...and now that I see Lorna's post down there, I owned that toy replica of McQueen's "Mare's Leg" too back then...yeah, I guess I was pretty spoiled, alright)

Edited by Dargo
  • Like 1

Really hate to tell you this sort'a thing again Sepia, but once again this lucky kid here had BOTH the toy replica of the Rifleman's shootin' iron of choice AND that Paladin gun set when he was roaming the streets of suburban L.A. back in the early-'60s.

A kid packing heat didn't have to worry about other kids ****ing with him.

• Like 1

Uh, just to bring it back to the original topic ( not that I have a problem with tangents), I've been meaning to say something about the selection for "Essentials" host.

I really would have liked it to be Ben. I always thought it would be Ben. I know he has his share of detractors here ( I'm looking at you, Lorna), but I always figured Ben Mankiewicz was the natural successor to Robert Osborne. He's been around TCM even longer than Alec Baldwin - and in a more permanent role than Baldwin - and I associated him with the TCM "brand" almost as much as I did with Mr. Osborne.

Again, sorry detractors, but I think Ben has it all: style, movie knowledge chops, and a long history of hosting for TCM. I'm really disappointed it isn't going to be the Mank. Wonder why not? Did the TCM powers that be ask him, and he declined? Or were they going for Baldwin's current popularity - and of course, his 3 year stint with Robert Osborne as guest host on "The Essentials".

Anyway, I'm just a little surprised that I seem to be the only one who had expected the new "Essentials" host to be Ben Mankiewicz, and am sorry to hear it's someone else.

"That said", I don't mind it's being Alec Baldwin, I thought he was fine as guest host with Robert Osborne; he obviously knows and loves old movies. If it isn't going to be Ben, I'll settle for Alec.

• Like 1

A kid packing heat didn't have to worry about other kids ****ing with him.

Yep! Y'all'd be right by that comment, pardner!

75169302aaa626ffb36c28876019dc80.jpg

(...and no, this wasn't me back then...but it sure could'a been)

• Like 1

Uh, just to bring it back to the original topic ( not that I have a problem with tangents), I've been meaning to say something about the selection for "Essentials" host.

I really would have liked it to be Ben. I always thought it would be Ben. I know he has his share of detractors here ( I'm looking at you, Lorna), but I always figured Ben Mankiewicz was the natural successor to Robert Osborne. He's been around TCM even longer than Alec Baldwin - and in a more permanent role than Baldwin - and I associated him with the TCM "brand" almost as much as I did with Mr. Osborne.

Again, sorry detractors, but I think Ben has it all: style, movie knowledge chops, and a long history of hosting for TCM. I'm really disappointed it isn't going to be the Mank. Wonder why not? Did the TCM powers that be ask him, and he declined? Or were they going for Baldwin's current popularity - and of course, his 3 year stint with Robert Osborne as guest host on "The Essentials".

Anyway, I'm just a little surprised that I seem to be the only one who had expected the new "Essentials" host to be Ben Mankiewicz, and am sorry to hear it's someone else.

"That said", I don't mind it's being Alec Baldwin, I thought he was fine as guest host with Robert Osborne; he obviously knows and loves old movies. If it isn't going to be Ben, I'll settle for Alec.

But Ben is still #1 the rest of the time, isn't he? The Essentials is no big deal.

• Like 1

But Ben is still #1 the rest of the time, isn't he? The Essentials is no big deal.

Just as The Essentials is designed to bring in new viewers, having Alec Baldwin as host would be more likely to attract new viewers, as he's a known commodity outside of TCM. Ben Mank, not so much. Plus, Mank seems to host most of the other showings during the day and night.

But didn't you ever wonder whom Chuck was mowing down in the streets?

I remember watching the Emmy Awards way back when, and the camera panned to Mike Connors in the audience. Then onscreen flashed the name "Chuck Connors." Host Dick Cavett, without skipping a beat, said "Who's doing Chuck Connors' makeup these days? He looks great."

• Like 1

Yep! Y'all'd be right by that comment, pardner!

75169302aaa626ffb36c28876019dc80.jpg

(...and no, this wasn't me back then...but it sure could'a been)

I had it all as a cowboy kid, too, my Rifleman rifle, my Davy Crockett coonskin cap, even a Zorro cape.

But something else I also had . . .

1959-mattel-outdraw-outlaw-fast-draw_1_2image.jpg

That's right, my Mattel Out Draw The Outlaw Fast Draw Cowboy Toy!

There was a long string attached to his gun hand and when you dropped the string it was your job to stop him by firing a pistol which fired a plastic bullet you bounced off this guy before he raised his gun to eye level and you heard the pop of his gun. There was a speed adjustment on the back of The Outlaw and, when I felt real ornery and lightning fast, I'd try to best him at top speed (and, believe me, this guy was quick!).

Now I know what you're thinking, I'm beating up on a guy with no legs.

But in the part of the West where I came from as a kid we were meaner than a rattlesnake someone just kicked. WE DIDN'T CARE!

I don't know whatever happened to my Fast Draw Outlaw, probably in the same place where my Rifleman rifle wound up. And where the heck is my Crockett coonskin cap, now that I think about it.

By the way, I really did grow up on The Rifleman show, Chuck Connors was my hero, and a few years ago when I still got Encore Westerns I recorded every episode of the series that they showed.

One of the best of them featured Lon Chaney Jr. as a ruthless killer coming to town, and you knew it wouldn't be long before he tried to tangle with Lucas McCain (that was Chuck for those not familiar with the show).

Another of my favourite Rifleman shows was the one in which Chuck Connors has dual roles, one as McCain, and the other as a lookalike who is pure evil. Chuck had square jawed features and could play a greasy villain well (as anyone who has seen him in The Big Country well knows).

Well, that's all for now. Signing off, pardners.

• Like 1