Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Alec Baldwin to host 'The Essentials' starting May 6

...Another of my favourite Rifleman shows was the one in which Chuck Connors has dual roles, one as McCain, and the other as a lookalike who is pure evil. Chuck had square jawed features and could play a greasy villain well (as anyone who has seen him in The Big Country well knows).

Ain't that the truth, pardner!

I still remember the first time I watched THE BIG COUNTRY(hey, here's ya an Essential, speakin' o' which) on the old ABC Sunday Night Movie series back in the mid-'60s, and how shocked I was that Connors could play a villain so well. This was of course because all I'd ever seen him play in my formative years was the hero on television.

Ain't that the truth, pardner!

I still remember the first time I watched THE BIG COUNTRY(hey, here's ya an Essential, speakin' o' which) on the old ABC Sunday Night Movie series back in the mid-'60s, and how shocked I was that Connors could play a villain so well. This was of course because all I'd ever seen him play in my formative years was the hero on television.

That's right. But I got so confused when I first saw him in The Big Country.

On TV every week . . .

chuck-connors-the-rifleman.jpg

My Hero!

But then I saw The Big Country . . .

ChuckFear.png

Hey, wait a minute, isn't that  . . . ?

All joking aside, Chuck was damn good in the William Wyler western as a bad guy. And, at the end of the film, you even feel a bit sorry for him (something that never happened when he played Lucas McCain)..

I love the smell of cap pistols in the afternoon. I had one and

my friends would shoot one another with a muffled bang

accompanied by that smell. I have to say I never paid much

attention to the details of the "gun" itself. Anyhow, snowballs,

especially ones packed with a few pebbles, were much more

dangerous than cap guns. And the TV westerns were apt to

be a bit loosey goosey with their dates and history, but a kid

wouldn't know that.

I got a big laugh out of one of Alec's interviews with Uncle

Bob. Osborne was mentioning how fancy the company Alec

kept was and Baldwin said Hey, I'm just a guy from Massapequa.

LOL.

That dual role "Rifleman" episode Tom mentioned was just on a few days ago.

No DGF.  Guns ain't my hobby.  I just remember my brother( who WAS a gun freak) telling me about that.  He was a flippin' GUN ENCYCLOPEDIA, that one!  :D

Sepiatone

I'm good with Alec Baldwin taking over "The Essentials".  He and Robert Osborne jelled. I really enjoyed  those two together, the camaraderie and  the good natured sparring on some topics,  especially in a couple of the outtakes we had privy to.

If the baton has to be passed, I am glad it's being passed to Alec Baldwin.

That being said, I'll miss Mr. Osborne to the core of me.

• Like 1

yeah, i've brought it up 1,000 times, and it's a good example of a film that has deteriorated in stature for me largely because it has been an Essential Perennial (and has appeared in prime hours and as part of spotlights numerous, numerous times)

it's a film that really does not hold up well on repeated viewings- the disappearance of Thelma Ritter; the pretentious and slightly didactic nature of the dialogue, the notion that someone with NO EXPERIENCE OR TRAINING would go on to an instant headlining stage career, the third act, Anne Baxter's performance- there's a lot I don't like about it.

LOL. I agree there's a certain amount of suspension of disbelief going on, but then there is to a certain degree with every film.  The 2nd half of Eve concentrates on Eve, so there's no point in Birdie appearing as you dont see Margo that much and she's not on stage when you do.

• Like 1

a very good part of my griping comes not from any annoyance that i have at having to find something else to do at 8:00 on a saturday, but more from the continuous missed opportunities to connect with these targeted new and intermediate viewers that this show represents to me (for, one should ask: what of the folks who watched and liked SOME LIKE IT HOT six seasons ago, but don't really want to watch it for a third, fourth or fifth time?, wouldn't they perhaps also be amused by, say, ONE, TWO, THREE (1961)- and also get a little history lesson at that?)

they could have SO EASILY replaced a small handful of these titles to give us all- from the bunny slopes to the top of MOUNT TURNER when it comes to knowledge of classics- something more exciting than ALL ABOUT EVE again.

ie, in lieu of BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN ('35) show THE OLD DARK HOUSE or TARGETS; in lieu of EAST OF EDEN ('55) show WILD RIVER (1960), in lieu of ALL ABOUT EVE show FIVE FINGERS or THE GHOST AND MRS MUIR (which ran last year even, if that makes you happy), instead of THE LADY EVE (which I LOVE), how about THE MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK or THE GREAT MCGINTY?...if you want to get politcal, fine- show GABRIEL OVER THE WHITE HOUSE- that one is NUTS!- show HITLER'S MADMEN, show DEEP IN MY HEART; show stuff that SPEAKS TO TODAY.

or just show THE QUIET MAN again and next year and the next....

• Like 2

(TRIVIA: on A Baldwin, as the sole of 4 Baldwin Bros.-(NOTE: Though he's far more politically obnoxious & reason Kim Basinger was rumored to leave him)

He & Steve Martin had a contest on who was SNL host record holder-(It was close several yrs back)

But now Alec flew past Steve-(not  certain but I now believe it's 30 or more times

& the trivia is: no looking it up, he was nominated for a s.actor for a 2003 drama & richly deserved to be in hat race that year???

I'mnot political myself, whats funny is funny