Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wuthering Heights (1939)

Cinemascope

Without all the background strings and other music, it might have been a more powerful film! I hadn't seen it in so long that I had forgotten about all that! Sometimes the music nearly covered what they were saying!

But it was good to see again!

That Cathy was a real *female dog* to poor Heathcliffe, wasn't she??? Jeez!!!

But I guess that's true love; you take it and take it...

As a victim myself of star-crossing, I adore all these "doomed romance" films (GWTW, etc.), but nothing -- not even this -- holds a candle to "Brokeback"...

> I've seen the movie twice now and never thought to

> read the book. the movie was so mawkish and whiney,

> nothing in it moved me to read the book. Toward the

> end, I kept talking to the TV saying "die already

> so we can get to the hour and watch something

> else." It was almost as bad as "Love means

> never having to say you're sorry".

I'll say the same thing I once said about another 1939 movie, Dark Victory, in another forum: This movie screams "chick flick", and won't shut the hell up!

> Maybe I'll read the book and hope for a better

> ending.

Wait for the musical version, when Cathy survives, and Heathcliff, Cathy, Edgar, and Isabella get up at the end and do a Busby Berkely dance number. :-)

I must admit that until I watched it last year, I never really got into this film. But after seeing and becoming smittem with TCM's fabulous promo for it, I decided to watch the actual film again. I guess for some of us, you just have to be in the right frame of mind to feel its impact. "To love is to endure!" ;) I wish it'd be released on DVD along with the promo piece produced by TCM.

Juli :)

Thank you all for not teasing me about my triple post a few days ago. From all indications, it didn't go through. So I kept trying. Didn't realize it actually did register, only I didn't see it. Or something like that. Next time I'll take a deep breath and wait.

A pleasure corresponding with you all. (You do see this. Right?)

Red River