Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM to discontinue print editions of Now Playing

TCM has announced that, after two decades, the channel will be discontinuing the print edition of Now Playing ​magazine following the publication of the August 2017 issue.

In addition to offering a refund for the remainder of customers' subscription period, TCM has announced at the same time that it is launching a revamped, free email version of the magazine.

These monthly emails will include:

• A printable schedule of the month’s programs and movies on TCM
  • Rarely-seen images of TCM movie stars
  • Great articles, biographies, and information each month
  • Video of interviews and what’s playing this month on TCM
  • A variety of games, puzzles and contests

For more on these changes, visit: https://secure.palmcoastd.com/pcd/eServ?iServ=MDI2MzE1ODA5NA==

nowplaying.jpg?format=1000w

• Like 1

This S u c k s!!!!

Realize I am behind the times, but I have faithfully subscribed for many years.  

When I receive a new one, I go through it and highlight movies I wish to see.

I look at the Guide at least once every day and even make reminder notes in it about shows on other networks.

Now have to get more email which will include stuff to navigate through in which I am not interested.  Hope that can print just the daily schedules and it won't require a tremendous amount of paper and ink.

Also, how did you find out since this is the first I heard of it?  Seems they could have contacted subscribers to determine alternatives to ending the product.

• Like 5

You'd think they could have phased it out gradually and stopped taking subscriptions and let people who had them get what they paid for. Progress, I guess. :( I never bought a subscription but I always prefer having a paper copy and something I can read. I will never go the electronic route. I like to read the old fashioned way. Book in hand! No audio books or kindle. UGH.

• Like 6

You'd think they could have phased it out gradually and stopped taking subscriptions and let people who had them get what they paid for. Progress, I guess. :( I never bought a subscription but I always prefer having a paper copy and something I can read. I will never go the electronic route. I like to read the old fashioned way. Book in hand! No audio books or kindle. UGH.

I sent a "contact us" complaint to TCM on the TCM.com site.  However, I never get a response to that feature.

Did occur to me that maybe they could have sold advertising or something since most people are going to look at it at least once per day.  My wife and I both do.

Maybe just send out printed version of just the Movie Listings section?

If email version is anything like the Daily Schedule on TCM.com, it will really be a pain in the A$$.  Current NPG Movie Listings provides title, lead actors, director and a description of movie.  Whereas TCM.com Daily Schedule just shows time and title.  You have to click on each title, go to a description, then go back to the schedule.

Unbelievable!  I got an email from TCM Viewer Relations in response to my email.  It has instructions on how to sign up for the printed Now Playing Guide!  Where to send check, etc.

While I was on the site earlier, I signed up for the email NPG.

Unbelievable!  I got an email from TCM Viewer Relations in response to my email.  It has instructions on how to sign up for the printed Now Playing Guide!  Where to send check, etc.

While I was on the site earlier, I signed up for the email NPG.

LOL. Hope you didnt send them any money.............

• Like 1

I sent a "contact us" complaint to TCM on the TCM.com site.  However, I never get a response to that feature.

Did occur to me that maybe they could have sold advertising or something since most people are going to look at it at least once per day.  My wife and I both do.

If email version is anything like the Daily Schedule on TCM.com, it will really be a pain in the A$$.  Current NPG Movie Listings provides title, lead actors, director and a description of movie.  Whereas TCM.com Daily Schedule just shows time and title.  You have to click on each title, go to a description, then go back to the schedule.

I remember I used to get a monthly e-mail with the schedule that I could print out, but they must've stopped that. Been years since I've got one. Unsure if it was due to the Message Board update or what. Does anyone still get that monthly schedule e-mail???

As a longtime subscriber, I'm also disappointed.

Here are the unique things about the magazine that will be missed if lost with the new system:

- programming theme for the daytime movies (surely they will list this somewhere!!!)

- TCM premieres for the month

- Martin Scorsese article (this has previously been available on the web)

- crossword puzzle (probably gone forever)

Hibi, I've never received an e-mail schedule in the past.  Didn't know they had one.

• Like 1

As a longtime subscriber, I'm also disappointed.

Here are the unique things about the magazine that will be missed if lost with the new system:

- programming theme for the daytime movies (surely they will list this somewhere!!!)

- TCM premieres for the month

- Martin Scorsese article (this has previously been available on the web)

- crossword puzzle (probably gone forever)

Hibi, I've never received an e-mail schedule in the past.  Didn't know they had one.

Yeah, there used to be an option for that and I'd get a monhtly e-mail where I could download the schedule and print it out. Dunno what happened or why. I stopped getting it several years ago........

• Like 1

Yeah, there used to be an option for that and I'd get a monhtly e-mail where I could download the schedule and print it out. Dunno what happened or why. I stopped getting it several years ago........

Another benefit to the Guide was that it was a handy size.  If I print something on my printer, it will be 8.5 by 11.  Will I then have to cut that down to a smaller size, if that is an option at all?

Another benefit to the Guide was that it was a handy size.  If I print something on my printer, it will be 8.5 by 11.  Will I then have to cut that down to a smaller size, if that is an option at all?

It is possible on some systems with some printers to select: "landscape" and "double-sided" when printing. You can then fold the page in half to have 5.5x8.5. Our word processor has an option to import a file and print it as a booklet. This rearranges the printing pattern so that you can stack the sheets and fold it and have the pages in order. 

• Like 1

That's really unfortunate since the printed version is much handier and more accessible.

• Like 2

This S u c k s!!!!

I look at the Guide at least once every day and even make reminder notes in it about shows on other networks.

Now have to get more email which will include stuff to navigate through in which I am not interested.  Hope that can print just the daily schedules and it won't require a tremendous amount of paper and ink.

Also, how did you find out since this is the first I heard of it?  Seems they could have contacted subscribers to determine alternatives to ending the product.

I stopped my subscription three years ago because delivery was sporadic at best. I print out the schedule double-sided in booklet form so I have a hard copy to hold in my hand.

Use the booklet feature when printing.

This S u c k s!!!!

My Sentiments exactly...  On a lighter note my Now Playing guide arrived 5 minutes before I started reading this thread!!!

I believe I've been getting NP since it's inception.  I think Sinatra was on the first cover.  Could be wrong. I still have them all.

I'm paid up until March of '18

I will surely miss it.

My guess is this board will be the next to go.

Yancey

• Like 1

I've been a subscriber since the first issue and always enjoyed it, but the whole world of printed publications is in trouble  and any number of them are dropping print versions so I'm not surprised.

I have many movie friends and most of them have access to TCM, but I don't know a single one that subscribed to Now Playing. That's probably the problem, TCM just doesn't have a big enough subscriber base to keep the printed version going. No doubt when they start the free online version they'll be swamped with new subscribers.

My one gripe was that since Now Playing went to press so far in advance it couldn't reflect any schedule changes. So somebody like me, who does a lot of recording, had to go online and check for updated schedules anyway. Hopefully, the new online edition will be more accurate.

• Like 2

Eh just another piece of creative culture down the tubes. Oh, the content and information may remain the same, but the difference is human interaction.

Sitting down in a comfy chair, turning pages, looking at the pictures is an entirely different experience from scrolling through text on any electronic device. Formats change depending on the device so the actual page design will fail to excite your eye the same way.

Soon all print designers will be gone, almost psychiatrists to what engages human beings. Just another true art, expression that will become obsolete.

• Like 6

Eh just another piece of creative culture down the tubes. Oh, the content and information may remain the same, but the difference is human interaction.

Sitting down in a comfy chair, turning pages, looking at the pictures is an entirely different experience from scrolling through text on any electronic device. Formats change depending on the device so the actual page design will fail to excite your eye the same way.

Soon all print designers will be gone, almost psychiatrists to what engages human beings. Just another true art, expression that will become obsolete.

Sad, but true!!!

Is there a site that shows what the "email" version of NPG looks like?

Not sure my printer can do brochures or double-sided unless I feed the pages in again.  I always get that screwed up, especially if trying to print multiple pages such as NPG.

Guess I'll just have to learn something new or have a bunch of paper to sort through.

I did send an email to TCM suggesting they should have investigated advertising (other than TCM DVD's and wine) in the NPG.  Seems to me that it would be attractive as subscribers refer to it daily for a whole month.

• Like 1

Dang- I have a sister who literally rejects the internet, and she is a very difficult gift recipient. NPG has been my birthday gift to her every year for I don't remember how long. She absolutely loves it, and when there is a star of the month whom she knows is one of my favorites, she gives me the magazine after she's read it. She will be very disappointed...

...My guess is this board will be the next to go.

Yancey

Probably not a bad guess here, Yancey.

(...nope, wouldn't surprise me at all, either)