Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM to discontinue print editions of Now Playing

I'm so bummed to see this! I have saved every issue I've ever gotten and it's quite a collection. My family references it all the time to see what's going to be on and we keep track of all the films we watch  by the kids highlighting them. It will definitely be missed in our house!

• Like 3

I'm very disappointed at this news. I look at Now Playing at least once a day without fail. An electronic version will not be as useful -- if I'd wanted to look at the schedule on line, I'd already be doing so. And having to print out the guide will definitely not be convenient.

I would gladly have paid a few dollars more for my subscription. I wish they had given us that option.

Yet another example of how things get worse rather than improving.

• Like 2

I'm very disappointed at this news. I look at Now Playing at least once a day without fail. An electronic version will not be as useful -- if I'd wanted to look at the schedule on line, I'd already be doing so. And having to print out the guide will definitely not be convenient.

I would gladly have paid a few dollars more for my subscription. I wish they had given us that option.

Yet another example of how things get worse rather than improving.

I haven't subscribed to the Now Playing Guide, but reading this I'm only left to wonder what the real reason was [ie. Budget reasons, ideology ("going green"), lack of popularity (same cited reason as IMDB on removing their message boards), etc], and what else is in the pipeline.

I have a life; I come here to escape it!  :lol:

LOL

So, kind'a like Steve Martin in Pennies from Heaven, eh sagebrush?! ;)

(...I hear ya, dude...I hear ya) 

• Like 1

Doubt it will do any good, but recommend contacting TCM.com re: this.

However, don't expect much.  As noted, my first complaint resulted in an email asking me to subscribe!

No response to my follow-up email.

There is a contact link at bottom of TCM.com home screen.

Also might try below:

turner.info@turner.com

In the past I have written paper letters to CEO's of companies with surprising good results.  Not sure who the appropriate contact CEO for TCM/Turner/TimeWarner would be.  Appears John Martin is Chairman and CEO of Turner Broadcasting System, One CNN Center, Atlanta GA 30303.

• Like 1

A few days ago when I received the May edition of my "Now Playing" magazine and saw Ben's article on Robert Osborne I felt so saddened I had to post a reply on the Robert O. thread. It seemed to me like the magazine would never be the same without Robert's column on the first page talking about the star or theme of the month. Now I find out the magazine itself is being cancelled. How ironic!

It's like the magazine will die with Bob O's passing.

I can't remember for sure but I believe I've been receiving the magazine for about 18 years. As soon as I'd receive it I'd skim thru the schedule. At the first chance when I had time I'd go over it more carefully and circle the films I wanted to see. The magazine was always on a counter or somewhere easily accessible.  It's not going to be the same without it.

• Like 4

I can't believe they would get rid of the boards.  It can't be that expensive to run. I think most of us would really miss it.

:(

I doubt they would have upgraded the boards if this was in the works........

Have never read the print magazine, but a downer for people who collect it.  Online schedule is fine with me, but would definitely sub the email version but don't want unreleated spam from Time Warner.  Also...TCM should consider updating content slightly better for mobile.

Have never read the print magazine, but a downer for people who collect it.  Online schedule is fine with me, but would definitely sub the email version but don't want unreleated spam from Time Warner.  Also...TCM should consider updating content slightly better for mobile.

Fletcher, always go with your first gut instinct & I first knew this was on the way out  over a month ago

They are hurting $$$ wise

SOOO SAD AGAIN!  I have boxes of it dating back many, many, yrs

You or anyone else should have to thesedays rely only on the internet  I adore it, but it is literally shutting down this country

(EXAMPLE: I'll always love the smell & feeling of a bookstore & got Premiere for15yrs,then EW took over & it's sooo lame incomparison

You or anyone else should have to thesedays rely only on the internet  I adore it, but it is literally shutting down this country

(EXAMPLE: I'll always love the smell & feeling of a bookstore & got Premiere for15yrs,then EW took over & it's sooo lame incomparison

I rarely buy print magazines anymore.  Back when the internet was archaic, I did regularly buy magazines....mostly music and entertainment issues that interested me.  Typically imports, music subjects hard to find online back then.  A lot has changed, but I still have my collection.

Just found this out today - when for the second time in three months I have not received my NP in the mail, I went to complain, and it sent me an email with a link.  

It figures.  First RO dies, then IMDB got rid of its boards (I wonder if the boards here are next???) and now no more Now Playing.  

Why would I want to print out their email?

They better make sure we get the answers to the last month's puzzle, too.  :P

When will they start the email version? I signed up for it, but haven't received anything as of yet. Shades of the hard copy magazine received sporadically at best over the years....

From the link that Barton provided in his original announcement, I think the last printed issue will be dated August 2017, so there are a few more issues to be printed and mailed yet.

Just my own guess, but since the printed issues will continue through the August date, TCM would not have to switch over to the e-mail version until the September 2017 schedule would normally be provided sometime early in August.  Of course, TCM can start with months earlier than that if they want to.

• Like 1

From the link that Barton provided in his original announcement, I think the last printed issue will be dated August 2017, so there are a few more issues to be printed and mailed yet.

Just my own guess, but since the printed issues will continue through the August date, TCM would not have to switch over to the e-mail version until the September 2017 schedule would normally be provided sometime early in August.  Of course, TCM can start with months earlier than that if they want to.

Thanks!

I remember I used to get a monthly e-mail with the schedule that I could print out, but they must've stopped that. Been years since I've got one. Unsure if it was due to the Message Board update or what. Does anyone still get that monthly schedule e-mail???

I'd also wondered what happened to that!  I guess it's been several years now.  I thought maybe I'd somehow gotten dropped from the list, but I guess they just stopped it at some point.  It was a very handy way of knowing what was playing that month.

I'd also wondered what happened to that!  I guess it's been several years now.  I thought maybe I'd somehow gotten dropped from the list, but I guess they just stopped it at some point.  It was a very handy way of knowing what was playing that month.

I think it must have been tied in to switching to the new boards. I think it stopped around that time.

There are still a few used book stores I visit around town when I am feeling down.