Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM to discontinue print editions of Now Playing

I'd also wondered what happened to that!  I guess it's been several years now.  I thought maybe I'd somehow gotten dropped from the list, but I guess they just stopped it at some point.  It was a very handy way of knowing what was playing that month.

Nowadays even the online monthly schedule is subject to change, down to the last day.  So the monthly schedule linked at the top of this forum is going to be the most accurate.  A stored email is going to become obsolete just like the mailer.

In any case the online mailings were before my time here.

I just received my June issue of Now Playing. It has a wrap around announcing that Now Playing will  be discontinued after the August issue. Refunds will be given for all remaining issues. So if we want to view the listings we have to supply our email to get an email sent with the new month's listings. If you have a printer and don't mind using your ink $$$$, you can print it out as well.  With Robert's passing, I guess we can expect more not so pleasant surprises.

I just received my June issue of Now Playing. It has a wrap around announcing that Now Playing will  be discontinued after the August issue. Refunds will be given for all remaining issues. So if we want to view the listings we have to supply our email to get an email sent with the new month's listings. If you have a printer and don't mind using your ink $$$$, you can print it out as well.  With Robert's passing, I guess we can expect more not so pleasant surprises.

I just hope it is set up so you can print only the sections you want and not the whole thing.  For instance, I only want the daily list of movies with descriptions and cast.

Fletcher, always go with your first gut instinct & I first knew this was on the way out  over a month ago

They are hurting $$$ wise

SOOO SAD AGAIN!  I have boxes of it dating back many, many, yrs

Why would they be hurting? Unlike other stations who have to produce all their own product to show daily which costs big money paying actors, directors and crews, all TCM's movies were made years ago by others and they have enough backlog of stock to play films for eons. This would be like having eighty million pieces of jewelry from Tiffany's to sell for years and all you have to do is pay for your store and personnell to sell it. Sounds like a sweet deal to me with little overhead like most cable channels would have to pay yearly.

just to record MY vote as well......

I think...............This STINKS!!

:angry:

Well what horses leave behind also stinks but with the changing of the times that stink was replaced by automobile exhaust.

I've been a longtime subscriber to the guide and just received notification that it is ending in August 2017.  Subscribers will be reimbursed in a pro rated manner.  In it's place TCM will be sending an email link to an online one.  Some of us, like me, like to thumb through the small booklet while saving some of the pages as I did with Robert OsBorne's write-ups.   Going to a computer and then have to print a weekly schedule or other pages is not only inconvenient but get's expensive with the price of printer cartridges these days.  Unfortunately, I don't have a cell phone that is glued to my hand nor want to waste data looking it up instead.

I realize print booklets get's expensive but that is included in the subscription price. 

It is what it is, but this subscriber is not enthusiastic about it.

• Like 1

Why would they be hurting? Unlike other stations who have to produce all their own product to show daily which costs big money paying actors, directors and crews, all TCM's movies were made years ago by others and they have enough backlog of stock to play films for eons. This would be like having eighty million pieces of jewelry from Tiffany's to sell for years and all you have to do is pay for your store and personnell to sell it. Sounds like a sweet deal to me with little overhead like most cable channels would have to pay yearly.

There is no such thing as "little overhead."  Many (most?) movies TCM shows do cost them money as someone owns rights to them.  There are also costs involved in storing  and "showing" the movies TCM owns.  It has facilities, personnel and other costs.

Not sure all the ways they earn money.

I do believe they probably could have kept Now Playing Guide by adding advertising and raising price.

However, I was in drug store yesterday and notice there were NO car magazines in the magazine racks.  Used to always be four of five different ones there.  Course there were 10 gun magazines, but this is S.C.

I already know what it is going to be like without the printed guide.  I may have thrown out or misplaced my May issue so I've relied on the schedule posted here for the remaining of the month.  I did get June's.

"I do believe they probably could have kept Now Playing Guide by adding advertising and raising price."

-wish they had tried THAT first :(

I, for one, would've gladly paid a bit more.

& could've always tried running ads for AARP :D

& whatnot  ;)

Best-Products-280x233.jpgBest-Products-280x233.jpgBest-Products-280x233.jpgmobility-products-for-the-elderly18.jpg

8177big.jpg

"I do believe they probably could have kept Now Playing Guide by adding advertising and raising price."

-wish they had tried THAT first :(

I, for one, would've gladly paid a bit more.

& could've always tried running ads for AARP :D

& whatnot  ;)

Best-Products-280x233.jpgBest-Products-280x233.jpgBest-Products-280x233.jpgmobility-products-for-the-elderly18.jpg

8177big.jpg

The 1980s just called and they want their jumbo remote control back. :D

I had predicted this would occur, about 4 months ago & unfortunately I'm really seeing more negative signs, especially after 0sborne left!

(P.S. DOES ANYONESTILL GET THAT VD CATALOG & FOR FREE? GORT MY OVER 2 MONTHS AGO)

WRITING IS ON THE WALLL SPORTS FANS

I had predicted this would occur, about 4 months ago & unfortunately I'm really seeing more negative signs, especially after 0sborne left!

(P.S. DOES ANYONESTILL GET THAT VD CATALOG & FOR FREE? GORT MY OVER 2 MONTHS AGO)

WRITING IS ON THE WALLL SPORTS FANS

I called the toll free number and requested the DVD catalog and they mailed one to me.  There is supposed to be a mailing list which at least matches Now Showing subscribers, but they are not very efficient.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks to the moderator for merging the other two threads.  Judging by the responses I'd venture to say this move is not being received enthusiastically.  Also appears that TCM is either not listening to it's subscibers nor providing much information. Thanks for the responses as it seems I am not alone in my disatisfaction regarding TCMs decision.

Are they sacking the online monthly schedule also? I went to it today - I like to have a browser tab devoted to it - and it's the May schedule minus the first few days. I prefer that format to the daily one.

thanks to the moderator for merging the other two threads.  Judging by the responses I'd venture to say this move is not being received enthusiastically.  Also appears that TCM is either not listening to it's subscibers nor providing much information. Thanks for the responses as it seems I am not alone in my disatisfaction regarding TCMs decision.

I sent a real letter to the CEO of TBS a month ago.  No response of any kind.  This is the first time in contacting an organization that I have not received some kind of response.  Of course, they haven't responded to any of my emails either.

Are they sacking the online monthly schedule also? I went to it today - I like to have a browser tab devoted to it - and it's the May schedule minus the first few days. I prefer that format to the daily one.

It's not working for me either from the menu.  There is one at the direct link though:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/june2017.html

Hopefully it's just some glitch with the month changeover and will be fixed soon.

• Like 1

It's not working for me either from the menu.  There is one at the direct link though:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/june2017.html

Hopefully it's just some glitch with the month changeover and will be fixed soon.

Is it a tell that the schedule, which is for June, says it's the May schedule and even features Gable at the masthead? Same goes for July - it also has Gable and the wrong month.

The roll off of the first few days at the end of each month is not new.  It seems to begin dropping off before the month is over with the longest months but not the shortest.  Then into the next month, it continues to roll off on a day-by-day basis.  So let's say it's on a 28 day first in-first out rolling timeline (from present date).  For my project I just grab each ending month twice, once in the middle and once at the end, and splice them if I need to.  (I only use days that have already aired and are no longer prone to change).

I don't think they are dropping it.  As cmovieviewer points out, it looks to just be a temporary navigation problem.  Someone did go in and make a few changes this past month, possibly unlinking something.  In particular possibly unlinking or breaking a script that pointed the generic "monthly" URL to the current month.  If I had admin rights I could just go in and fix it myself.

• Like 1

The roll off of the first few days at the end of each month is not new.  It seems to begin dropping off before the month is over with the longest months but not the shortest.  Then into the next month, it continues to roll off on a day-by-day basis.  So let's say it's on a 28 day first in-first out rolling timeline (from present date).  For my project I just grab each ending month twice, once in the middle and once at the end, and splice them if I need to.  (I only use days that have already aired and are no longer prone to change).

I don't think they are dropping it.  As cmovieviewer points out, it looks to just be a temporary navigation problem.  Someone did go in and make a few changes this past month, possibly unlinking something.  In particular possibly unlinking or breaking a script that pointed the generic "monthly" URL to the current month.  If I had admin rights I could just go in and fix it myself.

I've seen the drop-off before, I was just being descriptive since the June sked should have popped up. Now it appears that it's going to be May for the rest of the year. ;)  Even in August which is up already.

I've seen the drop-off before, I was just being descriptive since the June sked should have popped up. Now it appears that it's going to be May for the rest of the year. ;)  Even in August which is up already.

Yeah, that was one of my first thoughts when I saw that new banner at the top.  More things to maintain, great.

Funny thing is, the Canadian version of the monthly schedule appears to be just fine.  Except for the banner at the top.

• Like 1