Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM to discontinue print editions of Now Playing

Sent an email to TCM requesting format information for the new email version.

Received an automated response telling me how to subscribe to the print version!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I assume this is the print version of the monthly schedule?  As of today, it has Audrey Hepburn at the top.

If this is the replacement for Now Playing Guide, I don't like it.  I don't want to print the banner.

Even worse, it is 37, 8-1/2 X 11 pages long.

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?ecid=subnavmonthschedule

npg-header_052620171127.jpg

Oh. There it is. I wanted to print out the June version last night, but only got the May one.

I assume this is the print version of the monthly schedule?  As of today, it has Audrey Hepburn at the top.

If this is the replacement for Now Playing Guide, I don't like it.  I don't want to print the banner.

Even worse, it is 37, 8-1/2 X 11 pages long.

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?ecid=subnavmonthschedule

npg-header_052620171127.jpg

You have to make it double sided in your print window and then hit booklet maker. Depending on your printer, you may have to feed the pages back into the printer after the first side prints.

You have to make it double sided in your print window and then hit booklet maker. Depending on your printer, you may have to feed the pages back into the printer after the first side prints.

Thanks, not sure my printer will do any of that - or that I can figure it out.

Hopefully the Now Playing Guide email version will be smaller and simpler.  For instance, the current print version has three columns per page instead of one.

Thanks, not sure my printer will do any of that - or that I can figure it out.

Hopefully the Now Playing Guide email version will be smaller and simpler.  For instance, the current print version has three columns per page instead of one.

How many movies per column, and what detail was included for each movie?

The Cid said: Received an automated response telling me how to subscribe to the print version!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unbelievable.

I am just not convinced "digital" versions of anything is better or even as good as "hard copy" created by competent people.

My link list example:

6:30 AM MUMMY, THE ( 1932)  

An Egyptian mummy returns to life to stalk the reincarnation of his lost love.

Dir:  Karl Freund Cast:  Boris Karloff Zita Johann David Manners .

BW- 73 mins, CC

I really miss the "spotlight" and "premiere" icons. It takes a bit more work to determine what to record with this limited info.

The Cid said: Received an automated response telling me how to subscribe to the print version!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unbelievable.

I am just not convinced "digital" versions of anything is better or even as good as "hard copy" created by competent people.

My link list example:

6:30 AM MUMMY, THE ( 1932)  

An Egyptian mummy returns to life to stalk the reincarnation of his lost love.

Dir:  Karl Freund Cast:  Boris Karloff Zita Johann David Manners .

BW- 73 mins, CC

I really miss the "spotlight" and "premiere" icons. It takes a bit more work to determine what to record with this limited info.

• Like 1

I could be wrong here but based on what was promised for the e-mail version of the monthly schedule, I'm assuming there will be a new format coming that we haven't seen yet.  This format may be better or worse for actual printing than using the revised monthly schedule that we are now seeing on the web site.  It may look more like the magazine format, for example, but that is merely conjecture at this point. Of course, for those that want to use the web schedule and are able to work out a way to deal with it, then they will be ahead of the game.  (The obvious differences are that the web version is released several more months in advance and is continuously updated as things change.)

Just wanted to give my 2 cents on the question that TheCid raised below.

How many movies per column, and what detail was included for each movie?

Assume you are asking about the current print version of the Now Playing Guide.  The NPG is about 5 x 8 inches.  Has about 7 listings per column, but there are pictures on some pages.   Probably 12 to 21 or so listings per page.

Detail is about the same as on the internet version of monthly listings. Time, title, release date, description, three actors, director and running time.  Description is one long sentence.

I also use the NPG to make reminders about shows I wish to see on other networks.

Very handy to glance at each AM to see if I highlighted anything particularly wanted to watch.

Personally, I am not a big fan of the articles, At A Glance and Movies A to Z sections.

Hopefully the email version will permit excluding printing sections not wanted.

Assume you are asking about the current print version of the Now Playing Guide.  The NPG is about 5 x 8 inches.  Has about 7 listings per column, but there are pictures on some pages.   Probably 12 to 21 or so listings per page.

Detail is about the same as on the internet version of monthly listings. Time, title, release date, description, three actors, director and running time.  Description is one long sentence.

I also use the NPG to make reminders about shows I wish to see on other networks.

Very handy to glance at each AM to see if I highlighted anything particularly wanted to watch.

Personally, I am not a big fan of the articles, At A Glance and Movies A to Z sections.

Hopefully the email version will permit excluding printing sections not wanted.

Okay, that helps me visualize it better.  I just haven't seen a recent one.

• 3 weeks later...

''Detail is about the same as on the internet version of monthly listings. Time, title, release date, description, three actors, director and running time.  Description is one long sentence."

-Any indicating of PREMIERES?

:unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

In the 'Classic Movie News Flash' for July that TCM just started airing, there's a tease for the e-mail version of the Now Playing Guide (it's advertised as the 'Now Playing Newsletter').  In this tease there's a quick glimpse of an 'At A Glance' section which looks like a picture of the same section taken from the July printed version.  If this section and format does indeed make it to the newsletter, then 'At A Glance' would continue to list the daytime and nighttime themes as well as the TCM premieres for the month, and that covers the main pieces of information that are missing from the current on-line schedules.

As the song says, "a girl can dream"... (or boy for that matter)

Received the first newsletter today (for July).  Does include a link to a separate "At A Glance" section which retains the format of the previous printed version for all days of the month.  Indicates daily themes and premieres as before.

Then there's a schedule link which is just a link to the on-line monthly schedule that we've been seeing for a while now.  So from a do-it-yourself printing perspective this is all we have to work with.  (Unless you want to try to do something with one of the daily schedule formats.)

I guess the semi-monthly newsletter will just feature additional announcements / articles in the secondary e-mail each month.

Just to throw in my two cents,  I am not a fan of any print publication going to the digital only format.  This would include newspapers, magazines, and shorter newsletters.  I understand that the industry is continually leaning toward digital formats, due largely to costs and lower circulation.  But there is nothing like reading from an actual physical copy of the newspaper in the morning when I am eating my breakfast.  

With that said, can I adjust to digital only formats?  Yes, especially if the publication is very useful to me...and Now Playing is very useful.  But I am just saying that I would simply prefer the option to have the paper copy.

• Like 2

Received the first newsletter today (for July).  Does include a link to a separate "At A Glance" section which retains the format of the previous printed version for all days of the month.  Indicates daily themes and premieres as before.

Then there's a schedule link which is just a link to the on-line monthly schedule that we've been seeing for a while now.  So from a do-it-yourself printing perspective this is all we have to work with.  (Unless you want to try to do something with one of the daily schedule formats.)

I guess the semi-monthly newsletter will just feature additional announcements / articles in the secondary e-mail each month.

Interesting.  I requested the email version month or two ago and I have not received one.  Did get the print version. Maybe they don't send out email if you were sent print?

Signed up for email again anyway.

Went to TCM.com and clicked on month schedule, then print to get preview of what it will be like.  Waited several minutes for it to load and it never did.

Just talked with someone who "works for TCM"  You do not receive the email notification re: NPG being available online until your subscription actually expires.

They are currently working on determining how much to send in refunds.

I just did a test and it would take 29 sheets of paper for me to print the July Monthly Guide from the TCM.com site.  That is the standard landscape version as on the screen.  If you change to portrait, it is only 22 pages.

They cancelled the NPG because too many people did not wish to pay $13.00 per year.  

The person I spoke with does not know of any changes that will be made to the Monthly Schedule to maker it more print friendly.

I guess we're screwed,

• Like 2

''Detail is about the same as on the internet version of monthly listings. Time, title, release date, description, three actors, director and running time.  Description is one long sentence."

-Any indicating of PREMIERES?

:unsure:

That might be interesting, but based on my correspondence with some others it would seem they aren't quite set up for that at the present (it isn't a trivial thing to do).  I'd love to be wrong though.

• Like 1

I just received the NOW PLAYING NEWSLETTER in my email inbox with a photo of a dour Ben Mankiewcz. You have to click a link to "schedule" or download "at a glance" overview.

It contains links for SOTM, specials (in this case 4th of July movies), Ben's & Scorsese's "picks", "Film Comment magazine's "picks" and Baclot Member "spotlight" (groan)

When you click "AT A GLANCE" you get the highlights of the month with the P for premieres!

Then, "Here's your crossword!" Really? Like I can fill in a crossword on my computer? No, I have to print it out myself. I can just imagine how fun THAT is if you receive your email on your phone.

I don't know about you, but I gave up having a home printer long ago. It's much more efficient to send data to a real brick/mortar printer and pick it up later. Kind of takes the fun out of having a crossword on the back page of a magazine.

Haha, every link will first connect to "manage.com/track/click" so much for BigMovieBrother watching you.

• Like 1